In the Community

Remove this Banner Ad

They could be doing better.

The Auburn Giants played in the PF in the Sydney Womens' Div 2 comp this year. They wished the Auburn girls good luck on their Facebook page leading into that game.

Problem was that Auburn was playing Penrith in that game. Penrith also being a side in the GWS demographic. No mention of them by the Giants.

Actually, from all my reading of the Giants' FB page, you would think there was only one girls' side in the GWS area. Apparently the Giants don't know that Penrith, Blacktown and Moorebank exist.

Off the top of my head, four mens' sides from the GWS area made GFs too - Blacktown & Camden (Div 2), Wollondilly (Div 4) and Parra (U19 Div 2). No mention of them on the Giant's FB page either leading into their big games.

The Giants may not like it, but senior footy is part of their area. And they are doing a shithouse job of supporting it and promoting it.

The Auburn Giants played in the PF in the Sydney Womens' Div 2 comp this year. They wished the Auburn girls good luck on their Facebook page leading into that game.

Problem was that Auburn was playing Penrith in that game. Penrith also being a side in the GWS demographic. No mention of them by the Giants.

Actually, from all my reading of the Giants' FB page, you would think there was only one girls' side in the GWS area. Apparently the Giants don't know that Penrith, Blacktown and Moorebank exist.

Off the top of my head, four mens' sides from the GWS area made GFs too - Blacktown & Camden (Div 2), Wollondilly (Div 4) and Parra (U19 Div 2). No mention of them on the Giant's FB page either leading into their big games.

The Giants may not like it, but senior footy is part of their area. And they are doing a shithouse job of supporting it and promoting it.

We know you have a blind hatred of the Giants and give them absolutely no credit for any work they do in the community. We've heard it all before. Please go away.

were you at the Carlton game this year

We know you have a blind hatred of the Giants and give them absolutely no credit for any work they do in the community. We've heard it all before. Please go away.
I am a Giants member. I've told you repeatedly that I don't hate the Giants and I want them to succeed, but you are too ignorant to listen.

This is a legitimate criticism and you are too blinkered to take it on board.

What's your experience in local football in the west of Sydney by the way? Tell us. How can you relate to the criticism I am making?

Last edited:
were you at the Carlton game this year
No. I will go to Giants games when they start supporting the senior game in the west.

You know, like a Western Sydney club should be doing.

sorry should have read your profile a bit closer...I see you are a swans supporter so you know all about supporting sydney senior football

you say GWS is one of your other clubs as well.funny way of showing it

sorry should have read your profile a bit closer...I see you are a swans supporter so you know all about supporting sydney senior football
It also says I am a GWS supporter. A GWS foundation member might I add.

What's your experience in local football in the west of Sydney by the way? Tell us. How can you relate to the criticism I am making?

Reasonably involved with a junior club through my son. And my experience of the Giants and their relationship to the community and to our club has been excellent. But you don't care about junior footy do you? The Giants have to do something in senior footy in the west for you to even be remotely begrudgingly positive. You've made that abundantly clear. They could be at every junior club every week and it still wouldn't be enough for you if they don't visit a senior club.

We've heard it all before.

you say GWS is one of your other clubs as well.funny way of showing it
So to be a supporter you have to show blind loyalty? The club is beyond criticism?

Reasonably involved with a junior club through my son. And my experience of the Giants and their relationship to the community and to our club has been excellent. But you don't care about junior footy do you? The Giants have to do something in senior footy in the west for you to even be remotely begrudgingly positive. You've made that abundantly clear. They could be at every junior club every week and it still wouldn't be enough for you if they don't visit a senior club.

We've heard it all before.
What makes you think I don't care about junior football? I have had interaction with junior clubs in the area for a long time.

Do you think ignoring senior football in the GWS demographic is how the club should approach things?

This is a "community interaction" thread. I was providing an insight from a senior club's point of view. How can you possibly criticize me when you don't understand where I am coming from?

Take your blinkers off. Accept legitimate criticism. Require your club to do better.

What senior afl club supports senior state league clubs?

The Giants support junior footy and the schools.

Thats their job. Not the senior footy.

By the way i didnt see you back on here sheb when they had the b&f at Rosehill giving credit.

Do your beloved Swans support senior footy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I played senior football in Sydney in the 80s the sydney presence was nil. My boys now play junior football in Orange and the Giants is pretty good and quite visible... the S ydney presence is how i emember it from my playing time.

What senior afl club supports senior state league clubs?

The Giants support junior footy and the schools.

Thats their job. Not the senior footy.

By the way i didnt see you back on here sheb when they had the b&f at Rosehill giving credit.

Do your beloved Swans support senior footy?
I am a Carlton supporter.

I am a Swans and GWS member because I support the game in Sydney. And have done so for a long time.

Why do people here have to be so nasty? Why can't they accept a criticism of the Giants from someone who has been on the ground level doing work for the game in the west for over 20 years?

GWS set themselves up as a western Sydney club. That is how they promoted themselves.

This is a thread devoted to how the Giants are performing in the community. I have provided a perspective from a senior football point of view. And the answer from that point of view is "shithouse".

Can't people here handle a negative view? Can't they take legitimate criticism on board and say "yes, that is an area the club in which the club could improve"?

I played senior football in Sydney in the 80s the sydney presence was nil. My boys now play junior football in Orange and the Giants is pretty good and quite visible... the S ydney presence is how i emember it from my playing time.
It is doing a good job with juniors. That is not my issue.

They are treating senior football in the area like crap though.

You don't think this is an area for improvement? Remember - the Giants need support from as many quarters as possible. At the moment, they are pissing people off who should be on their side.

I would love to get behind the club. But it's hard to do when they take an enormous dump on you.

The problem with people here is that they are so used to copping ignorant criticism from Victorian morons, that they can't recognise fair criticism from people such as myself who actually want the club to succeed.

I am a Carlton supporter.

I am a Swans and GWS member because I support the game in Sydney. And have done so for a long time.

Why do people here have to be so nasty? Why can't they accept a criticism of the Giants from someone who has been on the ground level doing work for the game in the west for over 20 years?

GWS set themselves up as a western Sydney club. That is how they promoted themselves.

This is a thread devoted to how the Giants are performing in the community. I have provided a perspective from a senior football point of view. And the answer from that point of view is "shithouse".

Can't people here handle a negative view? Can't they take legitimate criticism on board and say "yes, that is an area the club in which the club could improve"?

No mate your taking pot shots.

I dont see any vic afl clubs helping the vfl. I dont see the swans helping senior sydney afl footy.
Wa clubs helping the wafl?
Hmmm im yet to see how your holding other clubs up to the same standard.

But the Giants actually did go visit the Parramatta Goannas senior team this year for training exercises. Or is that the wrong western club?

I do try to take it on board what you say but when every post is negative it just comes across as bitter dribble. It all started with the manly senior club issue and you just cant let go.

No mate your taking pot shots.

I dont see any vic afl clubs helping the vfl. I dont see the swans helping senior sydney afl footy.
Wa clubs helping the wafl?
Hmmm im yet to see how your holding other clubs up to the same standard.

But the Giants actually did go visit the goannas senior team this year for training exercises. Or is that the wrong western club?

I do try to take it on board what you say but when every post is negative it just comes across as bitter dribble. It all started with the manly senior club issue and you just cant let go.
You need to learn your history and have a think mate.

The Swans carried development in Sydney until the AFL came on board in the late 90s.

And the reason that Victorian clubs don't need to get involved in development in Victoria is that Victoria is an AFL state.

The AFL promoted GWS as a club that would represent western Sydney and would work with clubs out here. They aren't doing that. So why are you so defensive at the criticism?

You need to learn your history and have a think mate.

The Swans carried development in Sydney until the AFL came on board in the late 90s.

And the reason that Victorian clubs don't need to get involved in development in Victoria is that Victoria is an AFL state.

Have a think? Riiight
Lived in western sydney all life and never saw 1 swan at a school or any event in western sydney. In the 4 years the Giants have been around they end up everywhere.

Their job is not to bail out your senior club or any senior club.
They are to help the juniors and be part of the community to grow the game long term. In my mind, hell on most, that does not include senior football.
Thats what is going to grow the game in our region, not boosting the egos of some old timers in senior footy.

So you admit that the only club your holding this "you must support senior footy in your region" ideal is the Giants. Wow just wow. The bitterness shines through

I noticed you skipped my comment about the Goannas, is that because its not your Rams? Proving the bitterness.

Have a think? Riiight
Lived in western sydney all life and never saw 1 swan at a school or any event in western sydney. In the 4 years the Giants have been around they end up everywhere.

Their job is not to bail out your senior club or any senior club.
They are to help the juniors and be part of the community to grow the game long term. In my mind, hell on most, that does not include senior football.
Thats what is going to grow the game in our region, not boosting the egos of some old timers in senior footy.

So you admit that the only club your holding this "you must support senior footy in your region" ideal is the Giants. Wow just wow. The bitterness shines through

I noticed you skipped my comment about the Goannas, is that because its not your Rams? Proving the bitterness.
I repeat - the Swans did all the development work in Sydney until the AFL took over.

It's nothing to do with my club. If you had actually read my initial post in this thread, I mentioned a number of western Sydney clubs. Including Parramatta.

It's not about "bailing out" clubs - I never said that. If I had, I would have most certainly brought up Campbelltown.

They said they would work with clubs in western Sydney. They have not done that. Does that not concern you? Don't you think they should have some integrity?

This is a club struggling for support. Don't you think it would make sense to get all the senior clubs in western Sydney onside? Or do you think that alienating people is a good marketing strategy?

It's nothing to do with my age either. Can't you debate without getting nasty?

I repeat what I said earlier. Giants supporters seem to be so defensive from the ignorant crap posted on BigFooty about their club that when they cop sincere and objective criticism they can't handle it. It's sad and it makes me worry for the future of the club to be honest, because the management doesn't seem to be any better.

It seems that this thread was started for people to piss in the Giants' pockets. Not for legitimate criticism to be posted and responded to in a mature manner.

It amazes me that people can't handle criticism of their club, instead they put their hands in their ears and go "na, na, na, na, na". You should be AT your club when legitimate criticisms are raised. It's what makes the club better. Christ, I have had my go at Carlton enough.

It's a real worry when supporters have such a blind and unfailing loyalty to a club's administration to be honest. That can lead to REAL problems.

Anyway - you can't handle a mature criticism and debate my friend? You seem to have taken this genuine and constructive criticism of the Giants - a club of which I am a foundation member I might add - very personally and subjectively.

I haven't even mentioned Manly by the way. Why get nasty and bring that up?

If anyone is in doubt, check with the mod of this page for my credentials by the way. I've provided them before.

Last edited:
the Growth in afl at a junior level is most important, this will eventually follow thru to the senior teams, I dont think it is the responsibility of the giants or swans to promote or support senior football. I think the plan is that with more juniors coming thru the seniors will/should look after themselves which is as it should be. IMO & from my experience the giants do a lot more than the swans. I can tell you you see a lot more giants colours than swans at the junior level out here.

the Growth in afl at a junior level is most important, this will eventually follow thru to the senior teams, I dont think it is the responsibility of the giants or swans to promote or support senior football. I think the plan is that with more juniors coming thru the seniors will/should look after themselves which is as it should be. IMO & from my experience the giants do a lot more than the swans. I can tell you you see a lot more giants colours than swans at the junior level out here.
No problems them working with junior clubs. It has to be the focus.

But if they are going to work with one or two senior clubs, why not all of them?

In my initial post for example - how hard is it for the Giants Facebook genius to mention all western Sydney clubs who made senior Grand Finals?

I think they have 9 senior clubs in their demographic. How hard would it be to visit each club's training once a season. How much goodwill would that create?

It's not rocket science if they want to grow support for themselves.

No problems them working with junior clubs. It has to be the focus.

But if they are going to work with one or two senior clubs, why not all of them?

In my initial post for example - how hard is it for the Giants Facebook genius to mention all western Sydney clubs who made senior Grand Finals?

I think they have 9 senior clubs in their demographic. How hard would it be to visit each club's training once a season. How much goodwill would that create?

It's not rocket science if they want to grow support for themselves.

As others have pointed out please post evidence of any one other the other 17 clubs doing as you would like? The club has done a fantastic job in western Sydney

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As others have pointed out please post evidence of any one other the other 17 clubs doing as you would like? The club has done a fantastic job in western Sydney.

Not with senior clubs it hasn't. It's done a shithouse job.

Do you think that is acceptable?

Not so sure about that. Still waiting to see your evidence of any other afl club providing this "support" you feel some senior clubs are entitled to receive from the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back