Game Day In the event of a draw...

Remove this Banner Ad

The golden point rule is going to be absolutely crazy if it ever happens.

I wouldn't wish a loss in that manner upon anyone.

No offence but you know it is almost guaranteed to be St Kilda the first time it happens.

The golden point rule is going to be absolutely crazy if it ever happens.

I wouldn't wish a loss in that manner upon anyone.

It’s just staggering that it’d be started without anybody knowing. Why on earth wouldn’t you just blow the siren so that the most important people (the players) and the 100k people in the stadium know what’s going on. Even if they’re opposed to restarting from the centre for some reason, just have the umpire confirm with all that it’s next score wins and then just ball it up where it stands.

The other consideration is conditions. You play two halves of extra time for a reason - so if there’s a decent wind etc no team gets the advantage. The golden point is basically another extra time period, but it just goes as long as required in one direction? What’s if there’s a four goal wind and both teams have kicked the same score for it to be tied after extra time? The team who has the wind at the end just gets a huge advantage to win the flag?

Just play another two halves of extra time. Hell, make it 3 mins each way instead of 5 if you want. At least it’s fair.

The worst thing about it is... should this ever happen, you just know there’ll be something unfair happen... you just know it’ll be seen as a travesty forever and a day which could even get ugly off field if the loser is truly dismayed... and you just know the AFL will change it then, AFTER the damage has been done, when it was pointed out by many beforehand.

It’s just staggering that it’d be started without anybody knowing. Why on earth wouldn’t you just blow the siren so that the most important people (the players) and the 100k people in the stadium know what’s going on. Even if they’re opposed to restarting from the centre for some reason, just have the umpire confirm with all that it’s next score wins and then just ball it up where it stands.

The other consideration is conditions. You play two halves of extra time for a reason - so if there’s a decent wind etc no team gets the advantage. The golden point is basically another extra time period, but it just goes as long as required in one direction? What’s if there’s a four goal wind and both teams have kicked the same score for it to be tied after extra time? The team who has the wind at the end just gets a huge advantage to win the flag?

Just play another two halves of extra time. Hell, make it 3 mins each way instead of 5 if you want. At least it’s fair.

The worst thing about it is... should this ever happen, you just know there’ll be something unfair happen... you just know it’ll be seen as a travesty forever and a day which could even get ugly off field if the loser is truly dismayed... and you just know the AFL will change it then, AFTER the damage has been done, when it was pointed out by many beforehand.

Fully agree.

Even after the misery our club went through in 2010, I'd rather still have a full replay than a "golden point" scenario.

At least we understood the rules before we lost.

GF replays suck. Such a letdown for mine. And makes things extra unfair for a travelling team. So I'm glad that they finally brought the GF in line with the rest of the finals.

As for golden point, I honestly don't know why you wouldn't have a siren sound at the end of the second period. What does it achieve in just playing on and hoping that the players have got the message? There surely must be a reason, but what is it?

The idea of a behind to win the game shouldn't be a problem for anyone who doesn't have a fundamental issue with the sport's scoring system as a whole. It's a different thing to say that, in the entirely new situation of a score being the trigger for the game's end, the relevant trigger should only be a goal... but I'd argue that 'golden score' (as it is now) makes a lot more sense; how ridiculous would it be to have it be possible for a team to kick seven behinds and then the other team guarantee their loss with a 'golden goal', or deliberately score behinds to give themselves a chance to win? Or for a team to have a shot on goal in extra time - any score will do - and then we tick into 'golden goal' time and suddenly a behind is no longer enough?

Multiple periods of ordinary extra time would make more sense than a score-triggered siren; I preferred the replay myself, though I understand the arguments against it. And it would indeed be sensible to alert players to the fact that the game has entered a new 'phase': I'd prefer it be treated as a new period, with a bounce in the centre following a siren, but there are other options as well (maybe the umpire gets a chime in the earpiece and blows the whistle three times...?). But I don't think the present rules are disastrous - just imperfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely they'd let players know?

What happens if it's 100 each and the ball is directly in front, in a player's hands, going straight to the goals and he kicks it?

Kind of unfair isn't it for complete luck and timing to dictate it. Ball it up at the nearest 50 arc or centre, either at the boundary or in the middle, depending where it is.

It's so simple. Just repeat 5 mins extra time periods until somebody wins. It is substantially unlikely for nobody to break even in 10+ minutes of football...

History indicates that one team will dominate extra time (Port-Eagles final last year the obvious exception).

Agree that the seamless golden point ruling is dumb af, no matter how unlikely it is to happen... typical Amateur Football League

Siren should sound, 5min break, then golden goal starting from the center.... behinds are not registered at all

Or goal kicking shootout from all the forwards from different points within the 50m arc... world cup style... drama would be massive.... I actually wouldn't mind seeing this trialled for home and away for one season (immediately after 4 quarters, no extra time) just to see if it would be well received or not

Yep, exactly what should happen

FMD a point has been an acceptable/winning score for the 150 year history of the game - why would you suddenly change the rules in this one instance o_O
That is what some of us have been saying about why we ought to leave the replay alone.

Nah, need to book out the MCG for the wrestling.

We all benefit from this. Proceeds from the MCG go back into our pockets, right?

so in this situation had the game time expired beforehand but they waited til someone scored til they blew the siren?

I don't think that's so bad

Correct. Somewhere in the 35 seconds between that centre bounce and the score time expired.

It's helpful that it was quick and there's no countdown clock to act as an anti-climax, but it really isn't that bad when you see it in action. Certainly as a fan at the ground it would still be the same feeling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back