Universal Love In the pantheon of Richmond greats, where does Dusty now stand?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
You wouldn't squeeze Richo into the top 8?

For mine Richo is ahead of Jack. Richo in this team would have been wild. Different player to Jack, but I think he's better still.
Richo with the service this team could provide would be a frightening prospect for opposition. We are talking about one of the great contested marks of all time.

Last edited:

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes. It's a good comparison.
Richo should figure at, or near, top 10.
Personally, I was disappointed how Richo would lose his temper at times, but that is just a personal viewpoint.
Ultimately, players play to win premierships, Riewoldt is a dual premiership key forward.
But certainly Richo toiled through the dark years.
Would say Riewoldt is hated by a minority, which I don't understand.
However, Riewoldt features in the Foxtel ad, they would do market research on who is a popular player.
Cameron Mooney is a three time premiership key forward.
Who your playing with has a lot do with it.

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
you blokes werent around for royce. Royce beat whole backlines, there will be no other. dusty will make top 4....royce....dyer....bartlett.....dusty. The best player I have seen forward is royce hart. Maurice comes into the top 5,,,,,,my all time fav player

Great thread and probably worth discussing. I’m 46 so it has been lean for a few years. Start with the greatest players at the club and rank from there.

Dyer
Dean
Bartlett
Hart
Martin

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dean would not rank top ten and I saw him play.

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone else have no interest in the clubs history/past players before they were born?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The thread is about “the pantheon of Richmond greats”.

I understand that history can be boring, especially when your a younger supporter but there’s a reason why we are Richmond and not a north or Fitzroy. It’s the efforts of those that came before us.

Big Unit 30

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🐅⏰
May 3, 2015
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cubs Blackhawks Fulham Ivanhoe FC
The thread is about “the pantheon of Richmond greats”.

I understand that history can be boring, especially when your a younger supporter but there’s a reason why we are Richmond and not a north or Fitzroy. It’s the efforts of those that came before us.
North and Fitzroy do have history.
Gold Coast West Coast GWS are franchises.

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
North and Fitzroy do have history.
Gold Coast West Coast GWS are franchises.
Wasn’t trying to insult those clubs history. Apologies if it came across that way. I was more suggesting we are a big club with a strong foundation, huge following and a successful past by comparison because of the efforts of those that came before us.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
My dad, a Fitzroy fan, saw Haydon Bunton Senior play, I think 3 Brownlows and 4 Sandovers.
Said to be the greatest player of all time.
Certainly, would say Martin is our best player since the 1973, 1974 consecutive premierships.
Our best player in almost 50 years.

inCOGnito

Senior List
Jun 26, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
There's not a player in the league you'd pick over Dusty in my opinion, just does things no one else can't. Deserves to be in the conversation with the best ever for the club, will probably be in the conversation people have when talking about the judds and abletts by the end of his career. Last night went in between 5 cats and just extracted the ball. The long kicks to space over the top are so underated. Richo was my childhood hero (I'm 32) and his marking and workrate was as good as you'll ever see, but the stuff dusty does and at the moment he does them is unmatched. Jack is the other player people laugh at and just don't understand how smart and good he is. 'Junk time Jack' I see posted everywhere by opposition supporters. Huge reason we won 2017. Its really the minds like this that don't understand how the Richmond machine works. Rance is up there from the modern group as well. Makes me happy to talk about these guys when most of my life has been following a team that struggled.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
2024 will be the 50th anniversary of the 1974 back-to-back Premiership.
It would be great for the club to hold a testimonial dinner to honour the champions.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I was only a whipper snapper when Royce was on the scene , from all Ive read in terms of ability to impact BIG games he had it same as dusty and then you got jack Dyer , 312 games 443 goals 2 flags, 6 x bf
Dusty’s got 4 mOre years after this so you’d reasonably expect a few more flags in that lot which I feel will then have him a clear no 1

Joey longshadow

Hostis Humani Generis
Oct 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore ravens
you blokes werent around for royce. Royce beat whole backlines, there will be no other. dusty will make top 4....royce....dyer....bartlett.....dusty. The best player I have seen forward is royce hart. Maurice comes into the top 5,,,,,,my all time fav player
Yeah.. Royce Hart was just a freak.. He seemed to be able to spend longer in the air than his opponents..his hang time was stunning to see.. KB games record holder for us, 21 goals in the 1980 finals series ( we only played 3 games in the finals that premiership year) so 6...8 and ..7 goals respectively...Francis Bourke the absolute epitome of tough and brave... Dick Clay deserves a mention... As does Geoff Raines...Dale Weightman was an absolute champion in an era when we were terrible but was always picked for state of origin games and always starred ....Mathew Richardson, my god if he was playing for us in this era he would smash the AFL goal kicking record, but I suspect his all time career stats would have been 1308 goals 1127 behinds and 457 out of bounds on the full... Alex Rance ..didn't start his career in blistering form was mostly known for his incomprehensible stuff ups.. But became the premier back man in the comp through hard work and harnessing his amazing skills.. Probably retired to early for mine... Which brings us to Dusty.. There isn't much he can't do to a stunningly high level, his ability to see what's unfolding and shape a long kick to advantage is far and away the very best I've ever seen, he is an absolute great of the game and of our club... When his career is all said and done I think he will comfortably sit in our top three very best of all time ...and I didn't even mention the immortal Jack Dyer or the great Doug Strang.....Edit....and how the hell could I forget Jack "skinny" Titus.. 970 goals.. Dual premiership player ...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
That is true about his consistency throughout the season, hence other than '17 he hasn't polled overly well in season long awards. What is remarkable about him is that he turns up to an absolutely elite level at every single critical game, the only big game where he hasn't dominated was the '18 PF when he could barely walk. Such a rare trait and makes the difference between a sensationally talented player (like Dangerfield) who will win some individual accolades, and a player who will be talked about and remembered for years to come
Dusty was 3rd in 2016 Brownlow and should have been equal 3rd last year. But yes, the last few years he's learned to pace himself and lift for the big games/moments.

My dad, a Fitzroy fan, saw Haydon Bunton Senior play, I think 3 Brownlows and 4 Sandovers.
Said to be the greatest player of all time.
Certainly, would say Martin is our best player since the 1973, 1974 consecutive premierships.
Our best player in almost 50 years.
When Bunton played Australia had a population of approximately 4600.

Zagami

Rookie
Jul 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The real Richmond Mt Rushmore

Rushmore.jpg

Attachments

• Rushmore.jpg
    Rushmore.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 25

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon Francis Bourke is close in there, he had a bit of what Dusty has, he always seemed to win his contest and come away with the ball. Agree with Hart, although I am a tad young (don't say that often these days) to remember him in his peak, but his energy at the ball was Cotchin like once it hit the ground and one of the best marks the game has seen.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Matthews was a bit before my time, I never saw him play live, but I have seen some highlights. Hart well before my time. Can only go on what I've read.

I saw plenty of Riccuito, Judd and Voss. I do honestly think Dusty has gone past them. It's debatable as all have different strengths, but I would choose Dusty over any of them.
Dusty is a bit more all round in that he can do everything. Perhaps the others were more one dimensional but they were friggin good at what they did. Riccuito would be the less acclaimed of the 3 but he 8xAA, Brownlow medalist and 2 x AFLPA, fair resume.

Back