Universal Love In the pantheon of Richmond greats, where does Dusty now stand?

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Having watched Dusty now for quite a few years, I am of the opinion he is amongst the four greatest footballers I've seen, the others being Ablett Sr., Ablett Jr. and Carey. I have a high opinion of match winners. I would also include Lockett and Dunstall among the elite match winners I've seen, however the old school full-forward is somewhat reliant on his midfield delivering, whereas the guys I mentioned do it further up the ground, hence my higher appreciation for them.

That said, I wonder where Dusty sits in the pantheon of Richmond greats. I have not seen many footballers with such natural skills as his. His ability to gather the ball in heavy traffic and dispose well is unparalleled. But his influence doesn't end there. He almost never makes a mistake. To me his biggest skill is the ability to see what is unfolding before him in a way that only truly truly elite footballers do. His ability to put us into a position to score from a stoppage has gone to another level. And he does a lot beyond that that might not register a stat. Tap ons, hussle, shepherds, all sorts of clever 1%ers that make us such a dangerous team. He's literally like a chess master seeing a number of moves ahead.

Enough waxing lyrical, because I could all day. Where does he now sit among the greats of our history? For mine, it is not absurd to consider him the greatest player in our history. But that's a big call, when you consider players of the calibre of Hart, Titus, Dyer and Bartlett.

For mine, he is at very least in our top 5 players of all time. And between now and his career ending, I think he may be considered the greatest Tiger ever. What a magnificent arc from the guy overlooked by Melbourne with pick 1 and 2 in the 2009 draft (perhaps because of concerns over his character) and what a testament to Martin's actual character, and our club's culture.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
At his peak he is as good as anyone. The knock is for example he has one only two B&F's so his consistency is not always as high for entire seasons like for example Dangerfield. But he is better than Danger and Fyfe because of his ability as you say to win contests. Can't think of to many footballers other than the one's you mention above who are better one on one players. Hence the Leigh Matthews comparison (think you might have forgotten about him). Royce Hart was another that won a good % of the contests he was involved in. Ricciuto, Judd, Voss.

Dusty has a complete skill set that puts him above most others, and that comes to the fore in big games. Probably up there with Bartlett and Hart as the best players I have seen at Richmond.

Hamsatma

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
At his peak he is as good as anyone. The knock is for example he has one only two B&F's so his consistency is not always as high for entire seasons like for example Dangerfield. But he is better than Danger and Fyfe because of his ability as you say to win contests. Can't think of to many footballers other than the one's you mention above who are better one on one players. Hence the Leigh Matthews comparison (think you might have forgotten about him). Royce Hart was another that won a good % of the contests he was involved in. Ricciuto, Judd, Voss.

Dusty has a complete skill set that puts him above most others, and that comes to the fore in big games. Probably up there with Bartlett and Hart as the best players I have seen at Richmond.
That is true about his consistency throughout the season, hence other than '17 he hasn't polled overly well in season long awards. What is remarkable about him is that he turns up to an absolutely elite level at every single critical game, the only big game where he hasn't dominated was the '18 PF when he could barely walk. Such a rare trait and makes the difference between a sensationally talented player (like Dangerfield) who will win some individual accolades, and a player who will be talked about and remembered for years to come

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City

That's because Dusty is smarter then them.
It's physically impossible to play your best football every week. Dusty saves himself for when he's needed.

He's a big game player and waits for the big games to shine through. Other games he's happy to see the younger ones exceed and only lift if required.

Earlier in his career he had more BOGs because that's what was needed to get Richmond across the line.

I love watching Dusty play and think he's by far the best player in the league. Not sure about past players however.

I’m only 31 (32 on grand final day) so I can’t say I’ve seen any better but that might be because I’m a tiger supporter. Will be talked about in the future like Dyer etc are talked about now.

Dunger

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2008
-37.822165, 144.988143
AFL Club
Richmond
The great Richmond players I've seen are Dusty, Cotchin, Richo, Rance. I saw Flea when I was a kid but I was too young to understand footy (still don't ;) )

Dusty does things that are just unbelievably good. It may just be a field kick but it's off one step, under pressure and all sorts of other difficulties added to the kick but he'll find our player between two oppo players and no one else does that sort of stuff.

Then there's the goals he pulls out on the boundary, be it a banana on a set shot or on the run. Or that goal in the 2017 prelim against GWS.....

I'm getting a half mongrel just thinking about all this

I would argue he is the best ever Richmond player.
To be as good as he has been in the modern game is so much more demanding than how it was way back when.

Granted I wasn't around for the early days, but he is the complete footballer who can just turn it on at will.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Dusty in the top five Richmond players of the postwar era, 75 years.
With Bartlett, Bourke, Hart, Stewart.
Then Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt form the top eight!
It's true, for whatever reason, Jack is neglected as an all-time champion.
Perhaps it's just that he is overshadowed by Dusty, every other player is.
Dusty and daylight.

Last edited:

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Matthews was a bit before my time, I never saw him play live, but I have seen some highlights. Hart well before my time. Can only go on what I've read.

I saw plenty of Riccuito, Judd and Voss. I do honestly think Dusty has gone past them. It's debatable as all have different strengths, but I would choose Dusty over any of them.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Dusty in the top five Richmond players of the postwar era, 75 years.
With Bartlett, Bourke, Hart, Stewart.
Then Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt form the top eight!
It's true, for whatever reason, Jack is neglected as an all-time champion.
Perhaps it's just that he is overshadowed by Dusty, every other player is.
Dusty and daylight.
You wouldn't squeeze Richo into the top 8?

For mine Richo is ahead of Jack. Richo in this team would have been wild. Different player to Jack, but I think he's better still.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Yes. It's a good comparison.
Richo should figure at, or near, top 10.
Personally, I was disappointed how Richo would lose his temper at times, but that is just a personal viewpoint.
Ultimately, players play to win premierships.
Riewoldt is a dual premiership key forward.
But certainly Richo toiled through the dark years.
Would say Riewoldt is hated by a minority, which I don't understand.
I don't think he gets enough kudos as a champion.
However, he features in the Foxtel adverts, they would do market research on who is a popular player.

Back