Analysis Inaccurate kicking for goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone may have the breakdown of the stats....but something is up on our shots at goal.

It feels that every standing shot becomes a 50/50 chance and the resultant behind the lost goal that lost us the game.

Is it any worse than previous years?
No, it's been this bad for years and our field kicking is no better

Simple, If you have blokes with shite skills then they'll miss goals.

One interesting thing I did note at training the other day was the last two blokes to leave the track were Brown and Higgins. They stayed out practicing set shots and surprisingly they're our two best.

One interesting thing I did note at training the other day was the last two blokes to leave the track were Brown and Higgins. They stayed out practicing set shots and surprisingly they're our two best.

I did wonder whether our players are spooked by the unfamiliarity of grounds away from Arden St.

But surely the routine should be the same for set shots?

I don't think it's that simple.

Aside from the WCE game we haven't been notably bad. These graphics aren't ideal - they don't tell you anything about the difficulty of a shot, whether it was a set shot under the roof or a wrong foot snap over your head into the wind in Hobart - but we don't seem to miss more than our opponents on the whole. IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0187.jpg IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0189.jpg

A set shot kicking action is a lot like a golf swing. You need to practice a good technique to the point it stands up under duress. I see flaws in our playets set shot routine all the time. Its no coincidence josh keddedy can slot 8 straight and with LT its a lottery.

Ben brown has the best technique of our blokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its the one area of the game that hasn't improved over the decades. I find it extremely frustrating when a professional footballer cannot kick straight from a set shot 30 -40 metres out. Unfortunately, we are not the only club that lacks these skills.

Apart from the easy set shots missed, I get frustrated with our leading deep into pockets. That's exactly what the opposition want us to do. We then always attempt drop punts from these pockets. We have no players kick the ball around the corner or banana kick. The end result is plenty of misses which then increases the pressure to kick the next goal. The next shot may be directly in front but there is added pressure to the shot because of the shots missed from the pockets.
I will be silly now and mention why would anyone want to kick a goal? The result is that they would have to immediately run to the bench. Madness.
Staying behind to do goal kicking practise makes sense. But only if you are confident that it won't work against you. What I mean by that is if I stay behind and have 40 shots at goal and only make 15-25 shots, people are watching. Your coaches etc... that are there to help ultimately form opinions on players that can then find their way into the selection process. Imagine being an Aussie cricketer and asking for your coach to help you play spin bowling, just before the Indian tour. Maybe that is what Usman did.

Someone may have the breakdown of the stats....but something is up on our shots at goal.

It feels that every standing shot becomes a 50/50 chance and the resultant behind the lost goal that lost us the game.

Is it any worse than previous years?
Put it to you this way.....i broke up with my ex nearly 4 years ago and she used to go on for years North were no good as they kicked too many points and she didnt like football but watched with me occasionally. Dont think much has changed since then unfortunately.

Though I dont think it was that bad in 2015 by memory.

Lets lure Sav Rocca back, if he can fix Casboult he would have us as a team full of dicks...Dead Eye Dicks that is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back