Inaugural BigFooty Keeper League

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuxnet (Satoshi Sticks) messaged me that he is out for next season. So a replacement will need to be found.
Okay, cool. If anyone knows of someone who wants to join let me know or I will put up a thread in a few days looking for a new manager.

Also, if anyone else is out, please tell us ASAP. Thanks.

Okay, cool. If anyone knows of someone who wants to join let me know or I will put up a thread in a few days looking for a new manager.

Also, if anyone else is out, please tell us ASAP. Thanks.
If you can find someone I might retire. I find it hard keeping up in this time zone.

Time to shake this league up and revise the rules next year.

What we have now is getting a bit stale - waiver wire with basically nothing on it, no goalies as they are all hoarded, 2 managers that have dropped off, minimal trades as there's no incentive to do so (if I could trade say Tuukka Rask for someone's first pick, would I do so to be able to select pick up a Kevin Fiala or Alex Pietrangelo or Dougie Hamilton on draft day? - these guys all picked in our "first" round - round 12 - this past draft)

Reckon next season it's time to move to reabsorb those two squads into free agents, as well as :
1. Limit keepers to 1 x LW, RW, C, D & G, plus 3 rookies in any position. Makes selection of keepers much tougher and the end of having to keep a lot of the marginal guys we are forced to now (eg. I've kept Phil Kessel every year cause there's no other real options - am sure all of us have similar). Keeps the rookie dynasty concept as important though, given this is a fairly unique part of this league.
2. Get rid of utility positions - just takes players off the board who could be topping teams up who need a waiver wire boost. Have the squads a "real" team of 9 forwards (3 of each position), 6 D, 2G as per what each team would generally send out in a actual NHL game.
3. Maximum goalies of 3
4. Add in "defense points" as a category (not sure if this is available in Yahoo - is certainly there in ESPN), so as to give D men more value.
5. Get rid of faceoff wins - means you're always looking for players that are centres (or pseudo centres)
6. Go back to 3 IR+ - yes, we've needed extra this year, but again would make team selection tighter and harder to manage.

Best part of this would be a more fun draft with better players around - and drafts should be fun........

Thoughts??????
Bumping this as I think they are good ideas that should be implemented.
Malkin In The Middle, Hertl Power didn’t make any moves last season so I’m not sure if they want to play anymore.
Satoshi Sticks messaged me that he wants to be replaced.
If we reduce the league to 10 teams, and implement a keeper limit of 2 on goalies, that will address the goalie situation.

If we just did the following two changes (as well as reducing league to 10 teams), league would refreshed.

2 goalies as keepers (except if they are a rookie) (so you could have 2 established goalies, plus rookie goalie - 3 goalies in total)
Get rid of one of the Utility spots (as mentioned above, this makes extra players available as waiver pickups during the season)

Simple changes that make sense as opposed to wholesale revamp.

(Mind you I would drop one keeper slot back to 7 established, 3 rookies - 10 a nice round number of keepers)

Well, if two teams are dropping out that solves one problem. We can reduce the league to 10 teams. I'm not completely on board with the goalie limitation as the goalie stats are over a third of your points. If you want a goalie, trade something for them. I do like the idea of reducing the keepers though.

Well, if two teams are dropping out that solves one problem. We can reduce the league to 10 teams. I'm not completely on board with the goalie limitation as the goalie stats are over a third of your points. If you want a goalie, trade something for them. I do like the idea of reducing the keepers though.
So how many keepers?

I really like the rookie keepers methodolgy in this league - it makes you keep having to refresh your squad rather than the full on "dynasty" feel.

If one utility spot goes, then do we just remove a keeper slot then to allow for this?

With two sides dropping out, plus one less keeper in each squad, then we get :
11 x 2 keepers from the "retired" squads (16 x senior, 6 x rookie)
10 x senior keepers from reduction of 1 per remaining 10 squads
7 senior, 3 rookies all up = 100 kept players per season - a nice round figure........

We then end up with 32 extra players in the draft pool, as well as more waiver options moving forward = better league.

Still would like a restriction on goalies, but if other league members aren't......

My 2c:

Drop to 10 teams - expands the waiver wire significantly
Keep # of keepers at 8+3=11 as the extra waiver wire will mean that better players are available throughtout the season
Limit G keepers to 2 plus 1 rookie
Keep roster size and utility spots as is - more players should help us fill those holes

I'm happy to go with consensus though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Sat morning AEST draft time (any start time between 7.30am and 12 noon) my preferred option.

Have drafts in my two other US based leagues at 10.00am & then 12.00 noon the next day (defending champ in these!)

A Sat morning AEST draft time (any start time between 7.30am and 12 noon) my preferred option.

Have drafts in my two other US based leagues at 10.00am & then 12.00 noon the next day (defending champ in these!)

I can do Saturday too

TheStinger I think we should just get a date in the calendar if we're going to get started. Keeperes should be due in a day or so, right? We've all had plenty of time

Happy to go with two less teams and no rule changes if easiest for now. We can change keeper rules after discussion during the year as a bit late to potentially change now. Always better to give people a year to revise thir roster before making keeper changes I think (i.e. might draft fewer rookies, make more trades etc?)

1. Rantanen
  2. Aho
  3. Barkov
  4. Tkachuk
  5. Barzal
  6. Theodore
  7. Nylander
  8. Saros
If anyone wants a rookie spot, feel free to shoot me an offer with a player better than any of the above.

TheStinger if you need any help, feel free to give me co-commish rights so I can get a draft setup for us.

I won't have time to actually commish, but can certainly help out occasionally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back