Strategy Incoming High Performance Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Well ladies and gentlemen we all know the BF brethren have more of an idea than the decision makers within the club (let's be honest chimps probably have them covered) so now it's time to put our collective reputations on the line to select our new and improved high performance manager.

I have doubts over the aerobic base that our triathlon coach has built into our list, but nevertheless they are a bunch of whippets. Therefore the person I'm after can stabilise and improve (where required) on that aerobic capacity, but also has a power background.

Therefore this guy is my man:

http://www.nicgill.com/about-nic-gill-strength-and-conditioning-coach/

Whilst watching the GWS v WC match a few weeks back my ears pricked up when I heard that the All Blacks had scouted Scully for insights on growing the aerobic base of their players. That to me screams of a professional looking to get every little 1% for his people. His CV speaks for itself so I'd love to throw our weight around a little.

We all know how spendthrift our club has become so it probably rules us out of going after someone of Nic's standing, but he has the exact record of excellence and history that we require for our playing group, IMO. That's before we even touch on the cultural benefits he would provide coming from the greatest sporting juggernaut in the world.

Vote 1 Nic Gill :thumbsu:

I feel like we should just try and poach the entirety of Richmond or Norths fitness/medical teams.

Richmond especially has basically had no injuries for 3 years.

I tweeted your option to Bucks. Not that I expect a reply.

Hes damn good. Had a role at the Chiefs before the All blacks and helped build them into a very good outfit. Very respected in NZ rugby circles.

Highly doubt he would want to leave NZ though hes had offers and knocked them back.

Well ladies and gentlemen we all know the BF brethren have more of an idea than the decision makers within the club (let's be honest chimps probably have them covered) so now it's time to put our collective reputations on the line to select our new and improved high performance manager.

I have doubts over the aerobic base that our triathlon coach has built into our list, but nevertheless they are a bunch of whippets. Therefore the person I'm after can stabilise and improve (where required) on that aerobic capacity, but also has a power background.

Therefore this guy is my man:

http://www.nicgill.com/about-nic-gill-strength-and-conditioning-coach/

Whilst watching the GWS v WC match a few weeks back my ears pricked up when I heard that the All Blacks had scouted Scully for insights on growing the aerobic base of their players. That to me screams of a professional looking to get every little 1% for his people. His CV speaks for itself so I'd love to throw our weight around a little.

We all know how spendthrift our club has become so it probably rules us out of going after someone of Nic's standing, but he has the exact record of excellence and history that we require for our playing group, IMO. That's before we even touch on the cultural benefits he would provide coming from the greatest sporting juggernaut in the world.

Vote 1 Nic Gill :thumbsu:
If he can turn Moore into Sonny Bill Williams then sign him up asap!

Hes damn good. Had a role at the Chiefs before the All blacks and helped build them into a very good outfit. Very respected in NZ rugby circles.

Highly doubt he would want to leave NZ though hes had offers and knocked them back.

Well thanks for bursting my bubble hah. I assumed he wouldn't be interested in a move, but he does work as a consultant so at worst we'd be crazy not to sound him out about helping us find a replacement. Perhaps he can point us in the direction of someone he's mentored that might be interested in taking on the challenge.

Ed spoke about making Collingwood great again and sounding out guys like Nic who are worlds best would be a tremendous start, IMO. I think whoever we go with ultimately needs to know what good support looks like. Overall I was more glad to see Davoren go because of the incompetence he allowed on his watch rather than any specific utensil ups or poor performance from him individually.

Finally thoughts on Mark Drury? The Crusaders were perennial challengers under his watch (bar one season) and he's recently moved into a role with the University of Canterbury as the head of athletic performance.

Aside from Rugby guys with Ice Hockey and La Crosse backgrounds also appeal to me for the mixture of aerobic and power bases. I'm just not as familiar with what attainable excellence looks like to us from those backgrounds.

I feel like we should just try and poach the entirety of Richmond or Norths fitness/medical teams.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ed! I think if we look locally the Kangaroos program is the one I would be considering and we have the right guy in charge for that.

Adelaide are as good as anyone at keeping their side fit. this is their boss.

General Manager High Performance
Matt Hass

They're another club with a recent strong history in HP, but I'm not sure that he's attainable mainly because 2017 is his first season in the role. For him to step in to replace Burton and them not miss a beat is a strong achievement, IMO.

They're another club with a recent strong history in HP, but I'm not sure that he's attainable mainly because 2017 is his first season in the role. For him to step in to replace Burton and them not miss a beat is a strong achievement, IMO.

If I had the choice of working at AFC or CFC I wouldn't be leaving..

I have no idea if 2ic is experienced enough but he would have IP and maybe someone to talk to.

where is Brett Burton these days?

I believe mattys123 mentioned his name as a replacement for Davoren a year or two ago. He definitely looks like he would be value adding!

His comments in that article around the development pathways in NZ rugby make for interesting reading as well given our weak development of the past 5 years.

It is quite astounding how dominant they are given the competition with League and by capita. I can't think of the best fit for anyone achieving positive outcomes in that area for us, but it's certainly another area of best practice that we could look to tap into, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe mattys123 mentioned his name as a replacement for Davoren a year or two ago. He definitely looks like he would be value adding!

His comments in that article around the development pathways in NZ rugby make for interesting reading as well given our weak development of the past 5 years.

It is quite astounding how dominant they are given the competition with League and by capita. I can't think of the best fit for anyone achieving positive outcomes in that area for us, but it's certainly another area of best practice that we could look to tap into, IMO.
Yeah I wanted Benton or someone of his calibre to replace Davoren about 2 years ago, which shows how utterly incapable this club is of making correct decisions at the moment.

Any smart organisation wouldn't have had Davoren in such a prominent role let alone for the length of time he has been at Collingwood.

As for his replacement, we almost can't do worse. We don't run games out well (compared to top teams anyway) and we have poor soft tissue injury history.

The problem is, since we've reappointed the golden child as coach, we will lose plenty of money in lost membership revenue for the fourth season in a row, thus restricting our ability to break the footy department salary cap and seek an absolute elite fitness guy (high performance manager if you want to be fancy).

Thus I suspect we will just poach someone from within the AFL system, and he won't be that much of an upgrade on Davoren unfortunately.

Saunders. Some of the things hes done has developed very good reputation with some elite organisations. If Walsh doesn't go looking in his ex girlfriends yard its absolutely astounding!

Although it would be incredibly hard to pry out of his current club.

Saunders. Some of the things hes done has developed very good reputation with some elite organisations. If Walsh doesn't go looking in his ex girlfriends yard its absolutely astounding!

Could be wrong but I read somewhere that he could be leaving Norf. Maybe to head to GC

On the Footy Show tonight they said he was gone........Eddie didn't seem to be surprised by that news.

Lock it in Eddie.

On the Footy Show tonight they said he was gone........Eddie didn't seem to be surprised by that news.

Lock it in Eddie.

Has long been the fantasy get around here based on North's charmed run during our Davoren years, but their injury profile over the last 35 games or so has been a car crash. It's the major reason why they went from 10-2 and a game clear on top to 12-10 and limping into 8th on percentage in 2016.

But, the guillotine has fallen on Donavoren, which compels a replacement, so what the heck, eh?

Has long been the fantasy get around here based on North's charmed run during our Davoren years, but their injury profile over the last 35 games or so has been a car crash. It's the major reason why they went from 10-2 and a game clear on top to 12-10 and limping into 8th on percentage in 2016.

But, the guillotine has fallen on Donavoren, which compels a replacement, so what the heck, eh?

I remember looking at 12 months of injury stats a couple of years ago and was surprised that North was mid ladder for games lost through injury. This was at the height of the mystique around the NM fitness staff and I found really surprising. My impression at the time was that they were overhyped and I suspect the media played a big role in that.

I remember looking at 12 months of injury stats a couple of years ago and was surprised that North was mid ladder for games lost through injury. This was at the height of the mystique around the NM fitness staff and I found really surprising. My impression at the time was that they were overhyped and I suspect the media played a big role in that.

Geoff Walsh....

I would consider it by trying to answer three questions.

1. Does he have a history of preparing youth for the rigours of AFL footy?

2. Does he have a history of keeping the bodies of guys 30+ sound?

3. Does he know what quality in positions underneath his looks like?

It's hard to comment on Q1 with much detail because until 2017 North were very much win now. I think their younger guys looked capable enough bodywise this year, but will he be able to have the likes of WHE, Scharenberg, Broomhead and Aish put on size it's up in the air. It's the main reason I'd like us to go external and find a strength and conditioning coach with more of a power base. From what I have been told we would definitely be better served in terms of individual programs under Saunders.

Waite aside Q2 to me is Saunders ace in the hole. North have a tremendous record of having their 30+ group contributing which has been a massive weakness of ours for the better part of 15 years. I think there's more to it than fitness and would love the club to put more work into it, but the perfect example was Jolly. He goes from playing circa 150 consecutive games to barely even crawling to the line. As annoying as it is I would have Wells as our most important player in 2018 and Saunders would know his body better than most so for me this is where he adds the most value.

The last one is a bit of an unknown. I would say that our rehab group is league worst and we have had some absolute horror stories over the past 4 years. There's one player who has struggled with recurrence injuries and he was cleared to recommence training without being scanned because he was asked whether he felt right and he said yes (we're actually that unprofessional in this area). I hope anyone that comes in will put a stop to that sort of rubbish, but you would have to take the word of Walsh.

You dont need the actual North or Richmond team. Just someone who has the same beliefs in training and preparation methods as they seem to work for the modern game.

Nic Gill looks interesting... His background is mainly with Rugby NZ (Clubs and National Team)..

I wonder how transferable his skills are to a different sport - with different physical requirements, on different athlete types.

Injuries happen come and go.
All management of them to a better degree is welcome.

But I still think over time our biggest issue is why do players nearing 30 seem to reach the cliff and fall off?
That is an ongoing matter not resolved I'd suggest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back