Strategy Incoming High Performance Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. But that quote makes it sound like programs are going to be built around the role rather than around the individual.
Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Surely it's possible that individual programs are still built into these groups.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Surely it's possible that individual programs are still built into these groups.
He's talking about the need to train them differently due to position. He doesn't talk about the need to train them differently due to body type or stage of development.
Hopefully he is going to do this, but that quote can't be used as an indicator of this intention.

He's talking about the need to train them differently due to position. He doesn't talk about the need to train them differently due to body type or stage of development.
Hopefully he is going to do this, but that quote can't be used as an indicator of this intention.
It can't be used to disprove either.

I agree, but it's worrying that he starts by talking about individualised programs and then explains it by talking about grouping them by position.
tenor.gif

As much as Jack Kennedy would love 76woodenspooners idea and be in full agreement with it he would still be hamstrung by the quality of the evidence. It will always be flawed in a sporting club environment. As long as you recognise that is the real issue.

I am getting too pedantic sorry but even the best sports programs are beset by this problem. There is no way around it because sports organisations are always by there nature an on the run ever changing feast. It's the basis of the saying if you are standing still you are going backwards. In that environment there can never be time to properly assess the evidence. All you really need to do is understand that to be true.

Even in the medical world where we can be conservative and considered and only take on new measures when they are fully evaluated good quality evidence is extremely hard to produce. Massive amounts of time and money is put into trying to achieve this with mixed success. Look at the Cochrane data base to understand this. In a sports environment it's just not possible.

I agree with you. It will never be an exact science and the data will never be perfect. But despite this I still think we can improve what we do and my hope is we can be league leaders in injury prevention and management one day. We do that and we probably win premierships off the back of it. I fully appreciate that my comments and opinions on this are qualitative but my feel is we can do much much better.

I wish we were a bit more like this: https://valleyofthesuns.com/2012/04/05/secret-behind-phoenix-suns-elite-training-staff/

...and a little less league leaders in games lost to injuries in the AFL through the Davoren years (or amongst them, I didn't actually check the stats).

I agree fully. It seems reasonable to believe we have fallen behind in this area and should be doing all we can to be at thepinty end of injury reduction and management. Would no doubt improve the teams prospects no end.

Suns seem very impressive, hopefully that will be us soon.

My guess would be on one of the three recent VFL listers with brothers playing AFL. There's enough options to keep people confused.

Yeah, it's hardly rocket science.
You've obviously given it more thought than me. I just looked through our current senior list and only Reid to my knowledge has a brother on successful (or otherwise) list. Did not think about VFL or guys like Marsh who someone else (presumably) made a reference to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you. It will never be an exact science and the data will never be perfect. But despite this I still think we can improve what we do and my hope is we can be league leaders in injury prevention and management one day. We do that and we probably win premierships off the back of it. I fully appreciate that my comments and opinions on this are qualitative but my feel is we can do much much better.

I wish we were a bit more like this: https://valleyofthesuns.com/2012/04/05/secret-behind-phoenix-suns-elite-training-staff/

...and a little less league leaders in games lost to injuries in the AFL through the Davoren years (or amongst them, I didn't actually check the stats).
That article link is a great read Quicky! CFC2010 Linda Lovelace lukem anyone with club links please make sure White, Eddie, Bucks, Walsh or someone with influence at the club is aware of it.

I would expect some injuries in a controlled elite sports environment. How many is too many I have no idea. Do I have concerns re our injury rate in recent seasons? Yes but would immediately qualify it by saying this is a hunch and I have no expertise or good evidence to back my concern. Truth is despite my concerns I really have no idea whether Collingwood are leading edge or back of the field in this area. Truth also is that Collingwood wouldn't have any good quality evidence to answer these questions with any certainty themselves. It's not a matter of the club not divulging the evidence won't exist.

By its nature management of much of conditioning, injury management etc is an on the run everchanging feast which for that reason can never be truly assessed with great accuracy. Results and success will keep you going but is wise to understand that any evidence used here has inherent flaws.

I think his first year where he announced increased training loads and the subsequent plethora of soft tissue injuries was the year from hell but not sure that we've been any better or worse than other clubs beyond that. There have also been a couple of very prominent long term injuries to key players that likely taint peoples thinking despite the fact we have very little verifiable data on which to judge the management of those cases, merely the perceptions that they took to long to overcome.

That article link is a great read Quicky! CFC2010 Linda Lovelace lukem anyone with club links please make sure White, Eddie, Bucks, Walsh or someone with influence at the club is aware of it.

FYI, and I know this is well after this was posted, there is a Linda_Lovelace with an underscore '_' that is the person you need to tag. I often get tagged in posts referring to him, understandably.

The only inside information I possess is the inner workings and politics of my local bowls club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back