Strategy Increased Professionalism Now A Key Objective

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
The inconsistent attitudes of Mitch Robinson and Jeff Garlett contributed to their departures in last year's trade period, while another player's lack of required seriousness at training also played a part in his absence from Princes Park.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...lues-says-mick-malthouse-20150128-12zxk4.html

It appears that Malthouse is starting to really weave his magic now getting the group to all "buy-in" to the one ethos.

This is really great news for us as fans because many people have been asking for this level of professionalism right across the club for many years.

All we need now is for the administration to match this approach and we will really see some strong results.

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
It was telling, I thought, when Burgoyne came out recently and said that Frawley was learning 'the Hawthorn way' on the track. May be reading too much into it, but I think it reveals both the standards that are set everywhere at Hawthorn, as well as the other side of the coin at Melbourne.

No longer is it just about having a couple of sessions during the week, rock up on Satdee, and see ya in the Social Club afterwards. Every single session must be directed towards achieving excellence.

Ask Craig Alexander (who during peak periods would be training 40hours a week) if he ever farked around during training. There were reasons no-one could touch him during his prime.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Definitely a good move. Removing the 'boys club' mentality within the team, admiring the good trainers rather than making fun of them, becoming a more professional unit--all steps in the right direction.

I find it interesting that an unnamed player's attitude at training contributed to him being cut last year--I like this attitude from the club. No excuses.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Finally the Fevola era is over.

Walker and Carrots the only ones left. No problems with Carrots re full committment(he has other deficiencies).

But this new Club and Team mindset is long overdue and personally i think Walker needs to be a casualty. His efforts have always been conditional, not only from game to game, but from contest to contest and even from season to season. I don't think he can change and he is not in my team going forward.

Unfortunately for Walker, and quite a few of our past decade players, he learnt a poor version of AFL football, a version that is taught to many young players at perennially poor Clubs.

Hopefully, finally, the Fevola era is history.

Who knows for sure whether Malthouse will be with us next year or not but he has had the balls and the will, to follow through making the hard calls and setting up the right culture for the CFC for the longer term.

It's draining trying to convey your message to students who won't listen but it seems we've finally cleared the way for the right types to walk into Visy from here on in. May it continue to be the case.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
I can forgive Jeffy for the few lapses of judgement he had (had a pretty rough childhood with parents in prison and spent teenage years homeless) but really, a certain other player we discarded should have been jettisoned a few years ago, got so sick of his constant antics and off-field shenanigans that embarrassed the club (big day out fiasco for instance)

Also since when has Andy Walker been a bad egg lately ? Ever since he had a child with his partner, he seems to have settled down and become a solid citizen.

All this new professional/no Richard cranium policy at the club is a pretty big reason why I am a Mick fan, he seemed to have learnt from his Collingwood days, when Heath Shaw and Alan Didak went amuck.

Best part of all, this archaic and misogynistic boys night out party going creed of disrespecting women/visiting strip clubs, seems to have finally been erased from our playing list and club culture..

Getting good characters/solid citizens to your footy club is more important then ever (one club's recruiter actually passed on a player he was considering drafting because he had a messy room. That's a bit ridiculous and harsh, but it shows how much more professional players are supposed to be these days)

Getting good characters/solid citizens to your footy club is more important then ever (one club's recruiter actually passed on a player he was considering drafting because he had a messy room. That's a bit ridiculous and harsh, but it shows how much more professional players are supposed to be these days)

Interesting isn't it although it may not have been a case of knocking back Selwood for Grigg because he had a messy bedroom.

A recruiter may well have two or three players they'd be happy to take at their call and it may just be the finest of details that gets one over the line against the other. It's a job interview so best get everything right, irrespective of your age.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Interesting isn't it although it may not have been a case of knocking back Selwood for Grigg because he had a messy bedroom.

A recruiter may well have two or three players they'd be happy to take at their call and it may just be the finest of details that gets one over the line against the other. It's a job interview so best get everything right, irrespective of your age.

Well after Hawthorn got burnt with Dayle Garlett, its hard to see any club taking a punt again on young players with 'chequered' off field problems.

Its not just physical endurance tears players have to go through at draft camp, they are now subjected to intensive psychological testing.

Suspect those psych testing is a big reason why Laverde slipped to 20 in the draft.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I can forgive Jeffy for the few lapses of judgement he had (had a pretty rough childhood with parents in prison and spent teenage years homeless) but really, a certain other player we discarded should have been jettisoned a few years ago, got so sick of his constant antics and off-field shenanigans that embarrassed the club (big day out fiasco for instance)

Also since when has Andy Walker been a bad egg lately ? Ever since he had a child with his partner, he seems to have settled down and become a solid citizen.

All this new professional/no Richard cranium policy at the club is a pretty big reason why I am a Mick fan, he seemed to have learnt from his Collingwood days, when Heath Shaw and Alan Didak went amuck.

Best part of all, this archaic and misogynistic boys night out party going creed of disrespecting women/visiting strip clubs, seems to have finally been erased from our playing list and club culture..

WTF......players will come from all sorts of backgrounds and have all sorts of off field likes and dislikes. That is all fine.

You don't have to be a "good character/solid citizen" or "married/2 kids/white picket fence". Anyone can play football and be a positive addition to a Team. A lot of great players have been, and are, "bad boys"

The unconditional part should be unconditional contribution to Team success......at training and at every game.

That was the crushing part of the Fevola era.....the football part was treated as a laugh as well as the off field.

Mezzoculo

Accurate. Brilliant. Unlikely.
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, let's not forget that Buckley is struggling to reset the culture at a club that Mick ran for roughly a decade. Heater wasn't cut lose under Mick and neither was Didak.
Personally, my opinion of Mick is that commitment to the team is unconditional and players who follow his ethos are cut considerable slack.

Yeah, let's not forget that Buckley is struggling to reset the culture at a club that Mick ran for roughly a decade. Heater wasn't cut lose under Mick and neither was Didak.
Personally, my opinion of Mick is that commitment to the team is unconditional and players who follow his ethos are cut considerable slack.
Didak was cooked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mezzoculo

Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Sorry I read that as Buckley got rid of Didak whereas MM didn't. Just saying Didak wasn't got rid of, he was done.
True. I was more getting at the fact that he remained on the list while MM was coach even though he had done plenty which could arguably have contravened a No D!ckhead Policy.

WTF? It's 2015 and we're talking about focusing on professionalism. What were we doing before? It's embarrassing.

Well, in 10 years time we may look back to this period and think, "How unprofessional were we in 2015?"

Having said that though, we were quite unprofessional. Just look at the way development was handled until recently, would give you enough of a hint.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I think you will find the decision to retain Shaw & Didak was made by someone above Malthouse in the pecking order.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I think you will find the decision to retain Shaw & Didak was made by someone above Malthouse in the pecking order.

Not only that, but Buckley is making a ham fisted effort at Culture Change at the Pies. Players like Taylor Adams are still enjoying an 'Allenby' night out on the town, and you wonder why perennial high quality players have bailed on the Pies every year since Bucks took over.

I honestly don't think Buckley honestly cares about changing Collingwood's culture, he seems obsessed about getting rid of 'Mick's boys' from that club (to the detriment of team unity)

I know he is an polarizing figure, but Lumumba was a seriously important player for the Pies, valuable transition player from CHB, and Buckley drove him out of that footy club, cause he actually had a brain of his own, and not pre-conditioned to be a Buckley/Eddie zombie..

Jock

Club Legend
Dec 9, 2005
Royal Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea Blues
Not only that, but Buckley is making a ham fisted effort at Culture Change at the Pies. Players like Taylor Adams are still enjoying an 'Allenby' night out on the town, and you wonder why perennial high quality players have bailed on the Pies every year since Bucks took over.

I honestly don't think Buckley honestly cares about changing Collingwood's culture, he seems obsessed about getting rid of 'Mick's boys' from that club (to the detriment of team unity)

I know he is an polarizing figure, but Lumumba was a seriously important player for the Pies, valuable transition player from CHB, and Buckley drove him out of that footy club, cause he actually had a brain of his own, and not pre-conditioned to be a Buckley/Eddie zombie..

Buckley thinks culture is in yogurt, that's about all he knows - His head is that far up his own arse he could tickle his own tonsils.

Bluey24

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Great shout.

I can't pinpoint it - probably because it is so complex and difficult to achieve - but there is something happening at Visy Park right now. It really feels like we're in the midst of a transition, one that has to inevitably lead to success on-field.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that Buckley is frantically trying to fix the culture of a club that MM built from the ground up

Without trying to give you an 'after school special' type sermon, Mick was coached by Allan Jeans and Tom Hafey, two of the greatest coaches in VFL/AFL history (certainly in terms of moral fibre and passing on values to their players)

Mick has said he was heavily influenced by both men in their teachings, and from you are implying, you seem to think Mick turned a blind eye, or even responsible for Collingwood's troubled culture, which I think its grossly unfair and prejudicial ..

Eddie McGuire is one whom seems to have thrived and encouraged the Collingwood 'rat-pack' mentality since the early/mid 90s, especially in his promotion of Joffa and those quite frankly, unsavoury Collingwood cheer squad..

And whilst what's happened at Collingwood in the past decade was a bit indecorous, it had nothing on what went on at WCE in the same time period and coach Worsfold seemingly turning a blind eye to that toxic, self-destructive culture at the time (which is a big reason why I never want Woosha to ever coach Carlton)

Mezzoculo

Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Without trying to give you an 'after school special' type sermon, Mick was coached by Allan Jeans and Tom Hafey, two of the greatest coaches in VFL/AFL history (certainly in terms of moral fibre and passing on values to their players)

Mick has said he was heavily influenced by both men in their teachings, and from you are implying, you seem to think Mick turned a blind eye, or even responsible for Collingwood's troubled culture, which I think its grossly unfair and prejudicial ..

Eddie McGuire is one whom seems to have thrived and encouraged the Collingwood 'rat-pack' mentality since the early/mid 90s, especially in his promotion of Joffa and those quite frankly, unsavoury Collingwood cheer squad..

And whilst what's happened at Collingwood in the past decade was a bit indecorous, it had nothing on what went on at WCE in the same time period and coach Worsfold seemingly turning a blind eye to that toxic, self-destructive culture at the time (which is a big reason why I never want Woosha to ever coach Carlton)
Eh. I'm not for or against Mick. As far as I'm concerned he is a premiership winning coach with a proven track record of developing teams from the ground up. To butcher a phrase, he's not the messiah or the naughty boy. He's just a very good coach.

Back