Strategy Increased Professionalism Now A Key Objective

Remove this Banner Ad

Personality has nothing to do with it. It's very well known that during his time at Collingwood (and still now), Mick's beliefs were that each player is still just a young man, and still have to be able to enjoy their social life and do the things they want to do outside of football. So long as:
a) there are no misconducts;
b) you remain committed to the team ethos;
c) your personal life doesn't effect said commitment.

Let's not forget that MM won a premiership with the likes of Shaw, Didak, swan, beams, etc. Just because you're not exactly an enjoyable personality doesn't mean you can't deliver that team ethos.

I feel like Mick has finally created the culture he set out to create from the get-go. Considering he's done that in virtually 2 years is pretty amazing. We should, from now, see better development from our younger players and more of a focus on just doing your role. AKA, no more passengers.

I'm excited for 2015 and beyond!!

Perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that Buckley is frantically trying to fix the culture of a club that MM built from the ground up
Buckley is frantically destroying the culture that MM had built i.e. a winning culture.

If Buckley was really trying to 'fix' the culture at Collingwood, the likes of Swan, Williams, Adams etc would already have been moved on.

Finally the Fevola era is over.

Walker and Carrots the only ones left. No problems with Carrots re full committment(he has other deficiencies).

But this new Club and Team mindset is long overdue and personally i think Walker needs to be a casualty. His efforts have always been conditional, not only from game to game, but from contest to contest and even from season to season. I don't think he can change and he is not in my team going forward.

Unfortunately for Walker, and quite a few of our past decade players, he learnt a poor version of AFL football, a version that is taught to many young players at perennially poor Clubs.

Hopefully, finally, the Fevola era is history.
This is far truer than people will acknowledge.

Fevola had a strange hold over the playing group. To a man they didn't respect him yet he retained huge influence over his teammates, particularly the younger players.

What an absolute flog he was/is.

Whoever questioned AW's attitude isn't much of a track watcher.

First half of walker's career he was injured regularly and looked destined to be somewhat of a disappointment. Also seemed to be trying for the spectacular too often and not the sensible team thing. Culminated in the position ultimatum / trade request.

But since then he's been one of our best performers. Elite med fwd in 2011 only to be moved to back line and become one of the league's best rebounding defenders. Has been around the fringe of AA squad ever since. Also looks to have gained consistency. And maturity.

No complaints from me

First half of walker's career he was injured regularly and looked destined to be somewhat of a disappointment. Also seemed to be trying for the spectacular too often and not the sensible team thing. Culminated in the position ultimatum / trade request.

But since then he's been one of our best performers. Elite med fwd in 2011 only to be moved to back line and become one of the league's best rebounding defenders. Has been around the fringe of AA squad ever since. Also looks to have gained consistency. And maturity.

No complaints from me
Can't argue with any of that. Perhaps the fact that he's not a leader despite his experience is instructive, however?

The change from ribbing those getting recognition for their efforts to pumping them up is so pleasing to hear if that's what was going on. Small things like this can initiate a massive shift in group culture that brings the best out of everyone. Love that attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AceAndy, true not everyone is cut out to be the leader.
However, I believe that the argument being put forward, is that AW is an experienced player who, even though is not in a leadership role, should be exhibiting leadership on and off the field due to his experience.
He knows what he should be doing, he knows how he should be acting, he knows what the game plan is and what role he and his team mates have within that plan.

Not everyone has to be the leader to show leadership.

Last edited:
This is far truer than people will acknowledge.

Fevola had a strange hold over the playing group. To a man they didn't respect him yet he retained huge influence over his teammates, particularly the younger players.

What an absolute flog he was/is.

Best described as a "charismatic idiot"

"Carlton Lay Out The Blueprint For Success"

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...he-blueprint-for-success-20150130-131qx3.html

There's a fair bit in this article but it's clear that things are really changing both on & off the field.

It's the first full year for new president Mark LoGiudice and chief executive Steven Trigg. The pair have already made it clear they want the club to have a greater connection with supporters and anyone who had been involved in the club from yesteryear.

Fans voted overwhelmingly for the team guernsey to feature the moniker of the club's greatest era, when grand finals and premierships were regularly delivered through the 1970s, '80s and '90s. The Blues, as is the ethos from league headquarters, want to make home matches more fan friendly.

Why do posters want to discuss Collingwood here when clearly there is something vastly more interesting & exciting to review ie. our club, on the surface, appears to be rising from its 15-year malaise !!!
We have been asleep for the last 13... possibly even 14 years. Ever since Big Jack trotted out Pagan as the new saviour of the club we went to sleep. We all thought that a new golden era would be ushered in... only to have it turn into a nightmare a couple of weeks later when the penalties for the salary cap infringements were handed out to us.

I have said in the past that the club was waking up... but they were just periods of sleep where we almost woke up, but remained dozing before going back to sleep again. We got excited when a favourite son of the club returned to us and became our coach. We thought that he would take us back to the top of the ladder again. However he was limited... he had a narrow vision of where the club needed to go and he got all the wrong tools in to do the job. Admittedly, when he had us playing our normal free flowing fleet of foot game and the opposition didnt have an answer to it, it was exciting. We all thought it was a new dawn... but it wasnt. It was just a fake dawn and in the end, the lack of development of our players over those years let us down. Holding onto players who were not good enough to play the game at the highest level, but were good club men cost us.

Mick has spent the last 2 years parsing the list of all the dead weight and I think that now, everyone knows that no matter how talented you are... if you dont toe the line and carry your own load, you are out of here.

I dont want to see what is going to happen to us at the end of this year. We have turned over nearly 50% of our list... I dont see us turning over more than 3-5 players this year. We just dont have that much dead wood left to go.

Everyone thinks that we are going to finish 12th (or better) but also thinks that we are not top 8 material. Most of our remaining list is part of the team that almost went top 4 in 2011... the talented players the guys who have the desire to play at their best (now) and we have filled up with some talented kids and some very good mature aged guys who have been in the system for a while.

The future is very exciting as TheSheik said... and I am looking forward to the next couple of years.

PS: Mick hasnt signed a contract extension yet... he is waiting to see how we are going before committing to the club. He wants to make sure that we are performing at the level he expects before he signs on for another couple of years. If we dont... he will walk!

Things are looking up!

Had lunch last week in Adelaide for work with a couple of fairly high profile Crows and Power ex board members. Despite some gentle ribbing they both spoke highly of Stephen Trigg and believe he will have a massive impact at Carlton.

Like Whitnall, Fev should've been born earlier to play footy in the 80s. I loved what he brought to the game, and he's probably the reason that half of us didn't neck ourselves over football between 2003 and 2009. However, from a media perspective he was bigger than the rest of the team put together, and that's cancerous in the modern game.

People who are knocking Walker should remember that he's one of our only players who most opposition supporters agree would be a walk-up start in their teams. Even Hawthorn supporters respect and admire him. He was a great return from a very shallow draft, and I hope he can squeeze two more years out of his body.

i think changing the culture of the club is the first step, and mick has seen this as a priority.

All the top clubs such as Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong have such strong team first cultures and this is why they maintain successful. Malthouse and the club have seen this as a priority and that has been seen by the sackings/tradings of bootsma, robinson, gartlett

i think changing the culture of the club is the first step, and mick has seen this as a priority.

All the top clubs such as Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong have such strong team first cultures and this is why they maintain successful. Malthouse and the club have seen this as a priority and that has been seen by the sackings/tradings of bootsma, robinson, gartlett

It's not just the players nor even just the football department as everyone has to be on board and not just barking instructions from the side-lines.

Unfortunately we still have the likes of Mathieson, who with a few words and a roll of the wrist can change things for us very quickly.

It was telling, I thought, when Burgoyne came out recently and said that Frawley was learning 'the Hawthorn way' on the track. May be reading too much into it, but I think it reveals both the standards that are set everywhere at Hawthorn, as well as the other side of the coin at Melbourne.

No longer is it just about having a couple of sessions during the week, rock up on Satdee, and see ya in the Social Club afterwards. Every single session must be directed towards achieving excellence.

Ask Craig Alexander (who during peak periods would be training 40hours a week) if he ever farked around during training. There were reasons no-one could touch him during his prime.

To back the first paragraph up, at the crows Walsh has stated that ex-hawk Cheney has been the standout in understanding the team defence structures he's trying to put in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back