Increasing chances of securing a rental

Engimal v3

Club Legend
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thread starter #1
Me, my girlfriend and our soon to be housemate have found a perfect house we want to rent here in Melbourne.

However, in a tough rental market, we're obviously not the only people applying.

Does anyone have some tips for increasing your chances? We've already reached out to the agent and said we loved it and if there was anything else they needed from us. Any other tips?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

superfraser

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Understand the psychology of the landlord and real estate agent. Neither wants the place vacant, it creates more work for the agent, and less income for the landlord.

They want the first good applicant as opposed to the best applicant. Therefore, apply on the spot for every place that you love.

So, the tips are - get your details in check, know who your references are, have your employment history, bank slips, previous bills, etc. all of the things you need to gain the rental on hand and easily accessible.

If you guys are actually suitable applicants, you'll have a place within 24 hours of applying.

rdhopkins2

Carpe Diem
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
We viewed 7 places in one day. Put applications in for 3 and got all 3. Were then in the awkward position of having to decline two. Just be ready to apply same day and you are every chance. Time is money to agents and property investors.

WCErevival

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Have a stable job and dont come across as someone that is going to have a lot of parties. All I care about is that I'm going to get paid and the house isnt going to get trashed.

Engimal v3

Club Legend
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thread starter #5
Thanks all, great advice.

Understand the psychology of the landlord and real estate agent. Neither wants the place vacant, it creates more work for the agent, and less income for the landlord.

They want the first good applicant as opposed to the best applicant. Therefore, apply on the spot for every place that you love.

So, the tips are - get your details in check, know who your references are, have your employment history, bank slips, previous bills, etc. all of the things you need to gain the rental on hand and easily accessible.

If you guys are actually suitable applicants, you'll have a place within 24 hours of applying.
What about a house that's been available since early December, but is still up for lease and is having inspections? Common sense would tell me that we wouldn't be the first to apply given that we inspected/applied recently, so is it really possible that they haven't had a suitable applicant yet?

rdhopkins2

Carpe Diem
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

What about a house that's been available since early December, but is still up for lease and is having inspections? Common sense would tell me that we wouldn't be the first to apply given that we inspected/applied recently, so is it really possible that they haven't had a suitable applicant yet?
May be a reason why it is still vacant? Issue with the house? Location? Drive by at different times of the day/night if you can.

Could be that they are being fussy landlords but could be more to it. Have you googled the address? Criminal activity in the area?

Or they may have done a clean and some minor reno’s in preparation for the next lease or could have been away. Ask the agent when the first house viewing was.

AFL Club
Collingwood

Need to know more about the specific situation.

Is this some incredibly expensive and luxurious place? Is it rare or uncommon in some other way? Is it over priced? Is it a shit hole? Maybe no one is applying.

If it's a cookie-cutter, run of the mill place, like 95% of places and the landlords are being picky, just choose a different place. There's no shortage of rental properties available.

Engimal v3

Club Legend
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thread starter #8
Need to know more about the specific situation.

Is this some incredibly expensive and luxurious place? Is it rare or uncommon in some other way? Is it over priced? Is it a shit hole? Maybe no one is applying.

If it's a cookie-cutter, run of the mill place, like 95% of places and the landlords are being picky, just choose a different place. There's no shortage of rental properties available.
I think it's a lovely place. Lived in, but great proximity to the city, split system heating/cooling, etc. I think you might be right, the landlord is being picky. However, we haven't been rejected. We're thinking about offering a higher rent to secure it, which is actually only what we're paying currently (each, so $200 per week across 3 people). Is this wise?

AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it's a lovely place. Lived in, but great proximity to the city, split system heating/cooling, etc. I think you might be right, the landlord is being picky. However, we haven't been rejected. We're thinking about offering a higher rent to secure it, which is actually only what we're paying currently (each, so $200 per week across 3 people). Is this wise?
I've never offered more, always been accepted.

If the paying the extra gets you a unique place that fits your needs perfectly - do it. If there are many similar properties available, I'd just continue applying.

If the landlord or property manager are just lazy which is delaying the approval process, then they'll be lazy when it comes to repairs & maintenance. Missing out might be ideal.

craigos

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Always go us a couple, even if it's a same sex friend of yours hold hand and put it on. They'll always give it to a couple over two singles.
As said before, have your details ready to go and if you're at all handy or love gardening throw that into conversation somehow. Majority of landlords are tightarses so if they think you can add value to their property at no cost they'll favour you.

revo333

All Australian
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any advice for those that don't have contact with references anymore? I've been at home the last 5 years.

I've lived in a few rentals but never have had my name on a lease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Collingwood
Professional / Personal references.

They want to know that you're in stable employment, can afford the rent, and that you're not someone who'll trash the place. You don't need references who have been previous landlords / real estate agents.

Top Bottom