Increasing chances of securing a rental

Remove this Banner Ad

Me, my girlfriend and our soon to be housemate have found a perfect house we want to rent here in Melbourne.

However, in a tough rental market, we're obviously not the only people applying.

Does anyone have some tips for increasing your chances? We've already reached out to the agent and said we loved it and if there was anything else they needed from us. Any other tips?

Understand the psychology of the landlord and real estate agent. Neither wants the place vacant, it creates more work for the agent, and less income for the landlord.

They want the first good applicant as opposed to the best applicant. Therefore, apply on the spot for every place that you love.

So, the tips are - get your details in check, know who your references are, have your employment history, bank slips, previous bills, etc. all of the things you need to gain the rental on hand and easily accessible.

If you guys are actually suitable applicants, you'll have a place within 24 hours of applying.

We viewed 7 places in one day. Put applications in for 3 and got all 3. Were then in the awkward position of having to decline two. Just be ready to apply same day and you are every chance. Time is money to agents and property investors.

Thanks all, great advice.

Understand the psychology of the landlord and real estate agent. Neither wants the place vacant, it creates more work for the agent, and less income for the landlord.

They want the first good applicant as opposed to the best applicant. Therefore, apply on the spot for every place that you love.

So, the tips are - get your details in check, know who your references are, have your employment history, bank slips, previous bills, etc. all of the things you need to gain the rental on hand and easily accessible.

If you guys are actually suitable applicants, you'll have a place within 24 hours of applying.

What about a house that's been available since early December, but is still up for lease and is having inspections? Common sense would tell me that we wouldn't be the first to apply given that we inspected/applied recently, so is it really possible that they haven't had a suitable applicant yet?

What about a house that's been available since early December, but is still up for lease and is having inspections? Common sense would tell me that we wouldn't be the first to apply given that we inspected/applied recently, so is it really possible that they haven't had a suitable applicant yet?
May be a reason why it is still vacant? Issue with the house? Location? Drive by at different times of the day/night if you can.

Could be that they are being fussy landlords but could be more to it. Have you googled the address? Criminal activity in the area?

Or they may have done a clean and some minor reno’s in preparation for the next lease or could have been away. Ask the agent when the first house viewing was.

Need to know more about the specific situation.

Is this some incredibly expensive and luxurious place? Is it rare or uncommon in some other way? Is it over priced? Is it a s**t hole? Maybe no one is applying.

If it's a cookie-cutter, run of the mill place, like 95% of places and the landlords are being picky, just choose a different place. There's no shortage of rental properties available.

Need to know more about the specific situation.

Is this some incredibly expensive and luxurious place? Is it rare or uncommon in some other way? Is it over priced? Is it a s**t hole? Maybe no one is applying.

If it's a cookie-cutter, run of the mill place, like 95% of places and the landlords are being picky, just choose a different place. There's no shortage of rental properties available.

I think it's a lovely place. Lived in, but great proximity to the city, split system heating/cooling, etc. I think you might be right, the landlord is being picky. However, we haven't been rejected. We're thinking about offering a higher rent to secure it, which is actually only what we're paying currently (each, so $200 per week across 3 people). Is this wise?

I think it's a lovely place. Lived in, but great proximity to the city, split system heating/cooling, etc. I think you might be right, the landlord is being picky. However, we haven't been rejected. We're thinking about offering a higher rent to secure it, which is actually only what we're paying currently (each, so $200 per week across 3 people). Is this wise?

I've never offered more, always been accepted.

If the paying the extra gets you a unique place that fits your needs perfectly - do it. If there are many similar properties available, I'd just continue applying.

If the landlord or property manager are just lazy which is delaying the approval process, then they'll be lazy when it comes to repairs & maintenance. Missing out might be ideal.

Always go us a couple, even if it's a same sex friend of yours hold hand and put it on. They'll always give it to a couple over two singles.
As said before, have your details ready to go and if you're at all handy or love gardening throw that into conversation somehow. Majority of landlords are tightarses so if they think you can add value to their property at no cost they'll favour you.

Any advice for those that don't have contact with references anymore? I've been at home the last 5 years.

I've lived in a few rentals but never have had my name on a lease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really beginning to stress about this. Have to be out in 15 days due to our lease ending, but haven't found anywhere to live in a month of looking. Not sure what to do.

How are you liking Melbourne?? How long have you been here now?

Loving it. It'll be one year in 9 days. I'm a true mainlander now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back