Remove this Banner Ad

NoAFLinmycomp

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Central District
An olive branch with a big stick behind it?

Can't imagine this being supported in current political environment as would have to require additional funds and resources.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...on-afl-supplement-scandal/9023500?pfmredir=sm

New ASADA boss David Sharpe takes diplomatic line on Essendon affair, wants more athlete engagement

"...

"In the absence of anything else, each of the sporting codes have done a very good job in setting up their own integrity bodies and their own tribunals with what was in front of them at the time," he says.

"We evolve from that … I think a lot of credit needs to be given to the sports for actually establishing the sort of tribunals and integrity bodies in the first place because out of that stems your education and welfare roles."

An independent tribunal, Sharpe says, is "absolutely a requirement".

"It makes a very clean and clear system … I think we just have to set it up in partnership with the sports… and make sure it works for everyone."

Such a tribunal is expected to be one of the key recommendations of the current James Wood inquiry into sport integrity, that could mean no team or sport needs to repeat the unfortunate Essendon saga.

And it's clear Sharpe is keen to use his appointment to forge closer relationships with the sports as they enter into complex negotiations about the form that tribunal should take, and the protections offered for sports' sovereignty.
"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ne...s/news-story/11c31da1ec3e73875f4e2651b14fb33a

New ASADA boss says almost one Australian athlete a week on doping violations
Rob Harris, National politics reporter, Herald Sun
October 29, 2017 8:30pm

AUSTRALIA’S anti-doping body has vowed a “stronger” and “more sophisticated” pursuit of substance trafficking and possession after revelations almost one Australian athlete a week has been sanctioned for doping offences during the past four years.

New ASADA boss David Sharpe has promised a greater focus on the agency’s intelligence capacity alongside renewed efforts to educate athletes over drug use as part of a refreshed approach to crack down on drug cheats.

(now for the LOLs) Mr Sharpe replaced Ben McDevitt — a controversial figure throughout the Essendon doping probe — in the agency’s top job last month.

The former AFP officer said it was “deeply disturbing” knowing that young athletes were considering putting dangerous drugs in their bodies for sport.

“We know this because more than 170 Australian athletes across 20 sports have been sanctioned for doping in the past four years,” Mr Sharpe told Senate estimates. “That’s almost one athlete every week.”

The agency is promising a targeted focus on facilitators of doping, both nationally and internationally, in partnership with the Australian Taxation Office, Australian Border Force and Australian Federal Police.

what absolute horse s**t. There will never be a truly independent tribunal system.

There are too many agendas to facilitate to allow this to happen. Both from the AFL and ASADA/WADA.

Drill down these figures and you'll find around half these positives, are what I term 'weekend warriors' the type who compete in amateur type events - NADO's are happy to beat their chests about figures but yet few are what we would call professional sports people - The WADA Code should be for Olympic sports which are fully professional sports - It's not needed for Indigenous sports or Non-Olympic sports.

Drill down these figures and you'll find around half these positives, are what I term 'weekend warriors' the type who compete in amateur type events - NADO's are happy to beat their chests about figures but yet few are what we would call professional sports people - The WADA Code should be for Olympic sports which are fully professional sports - It's not needed for Indigenous sports or Non-Olympic sports.
So athletes within these sports can dope to their hearts content, right? :rolleyes:

So athletes within these sports can dope to their hearts content, right? :rolleyes:

It's good to see you found this thread again - I thought you were truly INTERESTED in discussing 'Drugs in Sport' but it seems I was mistaken, and you were only involved in discussing the EFC 34 - Anyway the point from my post stands that the WADA code and their agencies NADO's 'hang their hat' on busting amateur weekend warriors - But if you want to waste money on AMATEUR sport go on ahead.

So in effect the AFL or any other Aussie Sports Body can't appointe their own judges on an Anti-Doping Tribunal?

Layman's Way of saying the March 2015 AFL Tribunal was corrupt?
It was about as impartial as a Zimbabwean election.
I know its a trite remark, but the AFL didn't bring in the 3 strike rule to protect the players, and only a fool would believe they did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back