India record in SA, NZ, Eng.....and Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Franco Vazquez

Senior List
Jan 11, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
India has been losing series in those countries for ages yet they always seem to get better of Australia in Australia. What is the reason? India is a great team surely but same team or even a better team lost to NZ 2-0 with each Test lasting only 3 days and to England 1-4 and also SA 2-1.

they have bowlers and conditions who can swing the ball. Australia can seem well of the wicket, but doesn't have a swing bowler

Our bowlers simply can't dismiss a batsmen that has made the decision to not get out.

This.

Even late today - the main opportunities for Pant were wild swings of the bat, Sundar played a reverse sweep, Thakur tried to win the match with a boundary, Agarwal was trying to cover drive the s**t out of a good ball.

None of those wickets or opportunities present with a batsman who played the ball defensively.

Even the first innings, there was so much raving for Lyon getting Sharma "because of the trap". Partly because the media narrative was "400 wickets" (even though he was 3 away). But again, Sharma was hitting out or getting out.

Basically there wasn't enough invention to get the Indians out in time without them being rash or playing low percentage shots.

India has been losing series in those countries for ages yet they always seem to get better of Australia in Australia. What is the reason? India is a great team surely but same team or even a better team lost to NZ 2-0 with each Test lasting only 3 days and to England 1-4 and also SA 2-1.

You might want to look at the context of those losses in England and sa

Could have easily won the latter and drawn the former

India don't play well on pitches that move about, the pitches in Aus are truer and they bat better on them.

Gill looked half the batsmen when he did tour NZ and got a chance in the ODIs. In Aus he's looked far better.

A depressing day and possibly a sign of things to come.

India are a cricketing juggernaut and a cricket-mad nation of 1.3bn people is finally punching its weight.

Test series often lack wider context but I always use series head-to-heads as being the ultimate goal. Australia have better head-to-heads against every test nation, largely thanks to the glory years from 1993-2008 when we pulled away from the likes of England and WI. But India are narrowing the gap and we're only winning 12-10 now. I can see this being eliminated in time and we will trail them. We just don't have the depth anymore. I think we'll still fare ok against all the others but the sheer size of India and their talent pool will see them dominate for years.

This is our sixth home defeat in 12 years. Now that the Gabba record is gone, any remaining aura around Oz playing in Oz has vanished. I was devastated when we lost to SA in 2008 and 16 years of unbeaten home series came to an end. Now though, I'm much more philosophical about it. We were so great for so long that it became normal to win everything. I'm disappointed with today but not devastated.

NZ are in a golden era but it will end and India will win there. They'd win in RSA if they were to play there now, and after Anderson and Broad leave the scene they'll probably win in England too.

India don't play well on pitches that move about, the pitches in Aus are truer and they bat better on them.

Gill looked half the batsmen when he did tour NZ and got a chance in the ODIs. In Aus he's looked far better.

This is pretty much the biggest factor in the results being the way they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing to Thakurs and sundars should automatically lead to sacking of the whole team management.
This was a 3rd grade bowling attack and they lost 20 wickets to them
Yup, that's why the loss was so bad. These guys likely will never play another Test for India again lol.

Yup, that's why the loss was so bad. These guys likely will never play another Test for India again lol.
Siraj has a pretty big future I reckon, though he's got a lot of guys to fight through. Yadav and Sharma are entering the twilight of their careers and Shami isn't a youngster any more so spots will open up.

Agree though - the other Indian bowlers performed admirably, but the only one I see playing maybe ten tests or more is Sundar cause he is young and maybe something to work with.

His two dismissals in NZ were smacking a caught and bowled back to Boult, and chipping a catch to cover when the ball stopped on him a bit. Think you'll need a bigger sample size than that to conclude that moving pitches are his weakness

This is pretty much the biggest factor in the results being the way they are.

It is a factor but it isn't the biggest factor.
They played on some absolutely challenging pitches last time they were in SA. Take ABDV out of that series and India win it. Pujara and Kohli both made outstanding centuries during that trip. And while SA's batsmen were already on the slide they still had a good attack.
Their last trip to England, Pant, Rahul, Kohli and Pujara all made centuries (for context only Rahane did in this series and he's a proven overseas performer so it isn't like he can't bat outside Asia). jadeja even made an unbeaten 80. Overall yes they were below par with the bat but they can all do it. It's nowhere near the achilles heel it once was. NZ last summer obviously was fairly ugly for them but it isn't the rule it used to be

A depressing day and possibly a sign of things to come.

India are a cricketing juggernaut and a cricket-mad nation of 1.3bn people is finally punching its weight.

Test series often lack wider context but I always use series head-to-heads as being the ultimate goal. Australia have better head-to-heads against every test nation, largely thanks to the glory years from 1993-2008 when we pulled away from the likes of England and WI. But India are narrowing the gap and we're only winning 12-10 now. I can see this being eliminated in time and we will trail them. We just don't have the depth anymore. I think we'll still fare ok against all the others but the sheer size of India and their talent pool will see them dominate for years.

This is our sixth home defeat in 12 years. Now that the Gabba record is gone, any remaining aura around Oz playing in Oz has vanished. I was devastated when we lost to SA in 2008 and 16 years of unbeaten home series came to an end. Now though, I'm much more philosophical about it. We were so great for so long that it became normal to win everything. I'm disappointed with today but not devastated.

NZ are in a golden era but it will end and India will win there. They'd win in RSA if they were to play there now, and after Anderson and Broad leave the scene they'll probably win in England too.
Still a long way before India wins in NZ SA or Eng.Those teams battle it out and have multiple plans unlike Australia

what was the last result when India toured SA?

2-1 SA and India should have won the first Test. AB was the difference. And those pitches had an incredible amount of juice in them.

Since then SA have lost Amla, De Villiers, Steyn, Morkel, Philander. India's batting in that series consisted of Murali Vijay, Sikhar Dhawan, Pathiv Patel, Hardik Pandya and Wriddiman Saha. If you think anything other than history would be in favour of SA if they met now, you have rocks in your head. And I say that as someone who very much loves the SA team.

2-1 SA and India should have won the first Test. AB was the difference. And those pitches had an incredible amount of juice in them.

Since then SA have lost Amla, De Villiers, Steyn, Morkel, Philander. India's batting in that series consisted of Murali Vijay, Sikhar Dhawan, Pathiv Patel, Hardik Pandya and Wriddiman Saha. If you think anything other than history would be in favour of SA if they met now, you have rocks in your head. And I say that as someone who very much loves the SA team.
Let us talk when India play them next in SA. Right now it is about why India does not win in SA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back