India Refuses Day/Night Test

Remove this Banner Ad

A few thoughts.

Firstly, they’re idiots. India has built a very solid pace battery. They aren’t as good as Aus, SA, or possibly NZ but they are solid. They are good enough to exploit seam and swing friendly conditions. But they aren’t good enough to exploit flat conditions. Australia’s quicks are. Furthermore, India’s batsmen are actually getting better and better in pace friendly conditions. They still aren’t ‘good’ but neither are Australia’s.

It’s like ultra spin friendly conditions in India - they give the opposition a chance to cover their deficiencies IE. when O’Keefe ran though India.

So it’s ******* stupid.

But in the flip side as others in this thread have noted, Australia are dictating to another nation what they can and can’t do, based on their own selfish interests. It’s a f***ing disgusting decision to not host Bangladesh, so for all I care India can go to Adelaide, and sit on the pitch taking turns in shitting on the popping crease for all I care.

Good. Why should India do something for us when we won't do anything for world cricket and host Bangladesh.

They don't owe us anything and their best chance to win is during the day.

Disagree with the last part.

Their most recent victory in Australia was on a Perth pitch that favoured fast bowling the whole way through. Without a spinner that can exploit bounce I don’t see what their slow bowlers can offer over here.

This is why the ICC should have the power to do what they're meant to do and run international cricket and take full control of the schedule, BCCI are a disgrace and CA are no better...

The sooner the power of the big three cricket boards is reduced to running the game within their own borders the better, hard to see when and how this will happen but it is the only way forward for Test Cricket.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...to-play-pink-ball-test-no-historical-surprise
There was a sense of déjà vu with last week’s decision by Indian cricket chiefs to stonewall a bid to play the Adelaide Test under lights. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) are not convinced by the day-night format, and doubt its place in the future of the game.

We’ve been here before.

In the early 1980s, India had no time for the new craze that was one-day cricket. Officials scorned Kerry Packer’s cricket circus, and even the players – using Sunil Gavaskar’s defiant 36 off 174 in the 1975 World Cup as their rallying cry – showed scant regard for the new format. The BCCI chairman of selectors maintained the format was “irrelevant” and “artificial”, but after Kapil Dev’s side defied all odds to win the 1983 World Cup, things changed.

They did so swiftly. The BCCI pitched successfully to host the next tournament (1987) and, for the home Test series against the West Indies later that year, cut Test matches from five to four to accommodate two extra ODIs. White-ball cricket became a venture the BCCI now wholeheartedly embraced. It was just a decade later than everyone else.

Fast forward 20 years, and much the same negative rhetoric was directed towards T20 in its infancy. Cricket writer Gideon Haigh details the feeling at the time in his book Sphere of Influence. “The real resistance to Twenty20 at this (early) stage, however, was not from purists, but from the guardians of the status quo ante, chief among them BCCI president Pawar”. As Haigh records, Pawar argued that Twenty20 “dilutes the importance of international cricket,” while secretary Niranjan Shah quipped: “Twenty20? Why not Ten-10 or Five-5 or One-1?”

Historically, conservatism fills the BCCI’s Mumbai headquarters like few offices in world sport. Their habitual resistance to innovation means few were surprised at the decision last week to reject the chance to play the Adelaide Test under lights. Despite three largely successful pink ball fixtures against New Zealand, South Africa and England at the venue, Adelaide fans will have to settle for day-time cricket at India’s behest. It’s their prerogative, mind – both the hosts and visitors must agree upon changes to playing conditions before a series, and Virat Kohli’s side is loth to give Australia any advantage in their quest to win their first Test series on these shores. In a purely on-field sense, it is logical.

But, at a time when Test cricket is crying out for innovation, it is much more than that. And, as was the case after initially slandering ODIs and laughing off T20s, it’s entirely likely that in a decade’s time the BCCI will be espousing day-night Tests as the shot in the arm Test cricket required. The irony of Shah’s derogatory quip about T20 during its infancy isn’t lost on anyone in world cricket; the seven-week IPL season now accounts for up to 95% of the BCCI’s total profits.

India was one of the last nations to initiate a domestic T20 competition, but since doing so, the IPL has delivered astronomical success, healthily lining their pockets along the way. They have mastered the art of being late to the party, then reaping the hefty rewards of the very ideas they denigrate.

India’s reluctance to embrace change – especially in the format where it is most needed – significantly impacts world cricket given their authoritative position at board level. In this instance it certainly hampers Cricket Australia’s traction on a budding format, after strong crowds in their first foray indicate it is worth further investment.

More importantly, however, it further delays the required intervention in the game on the subcontinent. Images from last year’s gripping Border-Gavaskar series (which India went on to win 2-1) revealed a contest played in front of largely empty stands. Whatever way their PR machine spun the series’ success, the vacant seats (versus the packed houses at IPL games) reveal a disconnect between fans and the traditional form of the game. And while it remains to be seen whether day-night Test cricket is the propping up proponents claim it is, at the very least it is a low-risk endeavour for Indian cricket executives to explore. It is also an endeavour they need to invest in soon.

Former captain Sourav Ganguly disagrees with the board’s current position. “Day-night Tests are the way forward,” he said. “Every country has to play day-night Tests. India has reservations but it’s a long-term future for Test cricket”. History tells us, however, that they will wait. They will wait until all risk has been mitigated and they are sure it is a worthwhile endeavour, irrespective of the urging of other cricket boards for years previous. It is only then they will agree to it, and discover they are yet again late to the party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think night Tests are part of the answer to Test cricket surviving.

For that reason alone I see this as a backward move.

So is Big 3 countries hosting series against the likes of Bangladesh. Cricket Australia are no better unfortunately.
You won't get any argument from me there.

The refusal to host the Bangladesh series is a disgrace.

Last edited:

Day/night Test cricket is definitely the way forward on one condition. The pink ball used for the final session each day must be at least 30 overs old. Most nights it is impossible to bat against a new or newish pink ball. It swings and seams more than a green top on a humid day.

This article needs to decide if it’s using the advent and success of ODIs and T20s as examples of revolutions that benefited the game or the BCCI. It can be both, as was the case with ODIs but all t20 has done is make the BCCI and some players rich while cannibalizing the sport. So it’s an odd argument to use in the context of re-enlivening test cricket.

Also interesting that there is talk to do away with the toss when a day night test basically presents the same issue of advantaging teams depending on when they bat or bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I don't think it will make much difference, the novelty wears off and Test cricket still has to draw people. Having a night session only draws more media money if there are people watching. If people aren't interested it won't matter if it is day or night. If people are interested, it adds a little extra money. (I still don't think the ball is ready though that worry has at least given more sporting pitches, and some venues are simply unsuited.)

I bet you the crowd numbers will down as it won't be night test. It's a shame I made a trip with my footy club last year. And now it's not going to be we won't go over.
Unfortunately the India Cricket Board rule the game in the way the control the decisions what happeneds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back