India v Australia 5 ODIs

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty bloody impressive effort to come back. Don’t think many saw that coming. India need to sort out 4-7 desperately - it’s unlikely that each of Kohli, Dhawan and Sharma will all fail (relatively speaking) at the same time but it will happen from time to time and without Dhoni they are pretty dorectionless from there down.
Still can’t believe that, for the second innings at least, a relative long hop from stoinis was probably the game winning play

Fantastic result. Never expected to win this series - was just hoping for us to build and play better throughout. And we certainly did that.

Still room from improvement I think with tactics and our lineup, but we seem to be timing this right and peaking nicely for the WC.

To be fair, what you think is right and wrong changes with the wind.

You mean like this?

The 4 quicks can do the job. I’m a fan of picking your best bowlers period, if one isn’t a spinner then use your 4 quicks and just make sure you hustle between overs as to not get the over rate out of hand. Bowl your most dangerous bowlers. Not sure why we need a second spinner when they are all poor to below poor.
***Disclaimer: comment was made in Ashes thread. Should still be relevant to the ODI squad IMO.

I hope we'll play to our strengths and not go with the flow just because other teams might consider playing 2 spinners. We barely have 1 high quality ODI spinner so why would we play 2? We have a deep pace attack that could do plenty in England.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kholi hiding in the rooms?

Don't worry, the cameras will find him. We can't go for more than 2 balls without a shot of the "grate man". Comes home, all victorious, the only person to captain India to a Series win in Australia, and then I would think the only captain to lose a 2 match T20 series 0-2 at home, and then follow up with a 5 match ODI series loss after being 2-0 up. Life is good.

Last edited:
I worry a bit about his length in limited overs but I do like him very much. Genuine quick. I don't care what the speedo says for him he bends his back gets good bounce at times and genuinely hurries the batsmen.

I agree with you.

Still think he's learning the caper but he's also handy with a bat and a good fielder.
Will more than likely make way for Starc, NCN and Dorf though.

You mean like this?

***Disclaimer: comment was made in Ashes thread. Should still be relevant to the ODI squad IMO.

I hope we'll play to our strengths and not go with the flow just because other teams might consider playing 2 spinners. We barely have 1 high quality ODI spinner so why would we play 2? We have a deep pace attack that could do plenty in England.

There's a difference between test matches and ODI's. In ODI's you can get away with an average-ish spinner and they can do a job. We have 1 high quality ODI spinner in Zampa and Lyon is getting better in ODI cricket. I'd play two spinners, with two quicks (Cummins and Starc) + the AR (either MMarsh or Stoinis) and you have Maxwell to bowl a few if need be.

We don't have a TEST QUALITY second spinner, that was my point (and still is). I wouldn't take a reserve to Lyon as there is no point, none are going to be successful, especially if O'Keefe is still on the outer. I'd be using Head and Laubausghne as so called second spinners personally if need be.

There's a difference between test matches and ODI's. In ODI's you can get away with an average-ish spinner and they can do a job. We have 1 high quality ODI spinner in Zampa and Lyon is getting better in ODI cricket. I'd play two spinners, with two quicks (Cummins and Starc) + the AR (either MMarsh or Stoinis) and you have Maxwell to bowl a few if need be.

We don't have a TEST QUALITY second spinner, that was my point (and still is). I wouldn't take a reserve to Lyon as there is no point, none are going to be successful, especially if O'Keefe is still on the outer. I'd be using Head and Laubausghne as so called second spinners personally if need be.

I'm well aware of the differences between Tests and ODIs.

Adam Zampa is not a high quality ODI spinner. He improved this series but he is absolutely not a high quality ODI bowler.

Why would we pick 2 average ODI spinners and leave out 1 of Behrendorff/Richardson? Your comment "we should pick our best bowlers" should still apply to ODIs - even more so considering the lack of depth we have in terms of spinners.

And re Test spinners: I would always pick a spinner. Completely disagree with "if your best 4 are quicks play them".

LukeParkerno1:

Lyon in the WC squad is a joke, just play Zampa + you have Head/Maxwell, etc as part timers.
Its taken a while but we are starting to select the right side. 2 spinners is a must for ODI’s.

Also..

We have 1 high quality ODI spinner in Zampa

But...

At least we don’t have Zampa bowling pies later
Oh no Zampa has to bowl soon arrhhhh
Even Rabada can tonk Zampa

Try stick to one opinion please pal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back