Test India v England (5 Tests) + Ind A v Eng Lions (1 Tour Match and 3 FC games)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't blame Stokes entirely for that. They have a boof head for a coach in McCullum who IMHO was just a glorified slogger. Nobody laughed louder than I when Starc knocked him over for a duck in the 2015 World Cup Final. His attack on the Australians after the Bairstow stumping was disgraceful. I'd be ashamed of any Australian coach who stooped to that level.

The one thing that has got under my skin with English cricket over the years is their misguided sense of superiority over other nations, as if they feel at ease to look down their noses and pass moral judgements when they have probably been more guilty than anyone else over the years of impropriety.

They have been guilty of numerous forms of cheating, doctoring wickets, ball tampering, you name it, they've done it. And yet they feel they can treat others with scorn and derision to gain some moral high ground.

Glorified sloggers can’t bat two days to save a test.

I wouldn't blame Stokes entirely for that. They have a boof head for a coach in McCullum who IMHO was just a glorified slogger. Nobody laughed louder than I when Starc knocked him over for a duck in the 2015 World Cup Final. His attack on the Australians after the Bairstow stumping was disgraceful. I'd be ashamed of any Australian coach who stooped to that level.

The one thing that has got under my skin with English cricket over the years is their misguided sense of superiority over other nations, as if they feel at ease to look down their noses and pass moral judgements when they have probably been more guilty than anyone else over the years of impropriety.

They have been guilty of numerous forms of cheating, doctoring wickets, ball tampering, you name it, they've done it. And yet they feel they can treat others with scorn and derision to gain some moral high ground.
Moral high ground is something the Poms have always claimed yet rarely practised.

One can go back to the 1877 when the cheat WG Grace 'stole' Australian keeper Billy Midwinter (story below)

"later that year he returned to England, playing for WG Grace's Gloucestershire County Cricket Club. He was included in the Australian team to tour England in 1878, and played some matches for them, before, about to take the field at Lord's he was virtually kidnapped by Grace, who took him to the Oval to play for Gloucestershire in their game against Surrey.[3] He didn't return to the tour, instead remaining (voluntarily) with Gloucestershire until the 1882 season.

He was selected to tour with the England team visiting Australia in 1881/2, playing four Tests, and then in 1882/3 Midwinter emigrated back to Australia, joining Victoria. He was selected for Australia to play the one-off Test after England had won the first Ashes series in 1883/4, and then for the Australian tour of England in 1884. This makes him the only man to play Test cricket for one international side, then another, and then return to his original international team"

Others to note:

Bodyline in 1932/33

England's refusal to out the Ashes up for grabs following the Packer / Establishment truce in 1979 (Australian won 3-0).

The ECB's decision in 2018 to cut the qualifying time for overseas born players from 7 years down to 3 to qualify for England selection just before the 2019 series which allowed Jofra Archer to play for England 4 years earlier than he would have been allowed to previously (coincidence?)

The one instance that really gets up my goat is the 2005 English side which, through Marcus Trescothcik's autobiography, they admitted to using breath mints to help shine the ball - which under the laws of Cricket is classed as ball tampering. Yet despite all the press about what had happened with the South African fiasco prior to that tour, there wasn't any mention of the 2005 side and what they did.

I had to laugh when:

1. It came to light of McCallum and Bairstow's previous 'gamesmanship' actions similar to what Carey did.
2. Footage of Broad celebrating when the poms were saved by rain in the 3rd test in 2013...yet he was more than happy to whinge about the Aussies being saved in similar circumstances .

Hypocrites of the highest form.

Moral high ground is something the Poms have always claimed yet rarely practised.

One can go back to the 1877 when the cheat WG Grace 'stole' Australian keeper Billy Midwinter (story below)

"later that year he returned to England, playing for WG Grace's Gloucestershire County Cricket Club. He was included in the Australian team to tour England in 1878, and played some matches for them, before, about to take the field at Lord's he was virtually kidnapped by Grace, who took him to the Oval to play for Gloucestershire in their game against Surrey.[3] He didn't return to the tour, instead remaining (voluntarily) with Gloucestershire until the 1882 season.

He was selected to tour with the England team visiting Australia in 1881/2, playing four Tests, and then in 1882/3 Midwinter emigrated back to Australia, joining Victoria. He was selected for Australia to play the one-off Test after England had won the first Ashes series in 1883/4, and then for the Australian tour of England in 1884. This makes him the only man to play Test cricket for one international side, then another, and then return to his original international team"

Others to note:

Bodyline in 1932/33

England's refusal to out the Ashes up for grabs following the Packer / Establishment truce in 1979 (Australian won 3-0).

The ECB's decision in 2018 to cut the qualifying time for overseas born players from 7 years down to 3 to qualify for England selection just before the 2019 series which allowed Jofra Archer to play for England 4 years earlier than he would have been allowed to previously (coincidence?)

The one instance that really gets up my goat is the 2005 English side which, through Marcus Trescothcik's autobiography, they admitted to using breath mints to help shine the ball - which under the laws of Cricket is classed as ball tampering. Yet despite all the press about what had happened with the South African fiasco prior to that tour, there wasn't any mention of the 2005 side and what they did.

I had to laugh when:

1. It came to light of McCallum and Bairstow's previous 'gamesmanship' actions similar to what Carey did.
2. Footage of Broad celebrating when the poms were saved by rain in the 3rd test in 2013...yet he was more than happy to whinge about the Aussies being saved in similar circumstances .

Hypocrites of the highest form.

There was also the case of an English captain (I think it was Atherton) who was found to have dirt in his pockets and was rubbing it on the ball.

However, you've forgotten my favourite. Headingly 1972, the Fusarium pitch. Lillee and Massie were having tremendous success in the series, Headingly had been a pace bowling wicket all season, but suddenly England added Underwood to the team and the pitch mysteriously was affected by a disease known as Fusarium. It was odd because although the disease affected the pitch, it didn't spread to any other part of the oval. Underwood, the best bowler in the world on bad wickets, ripped the heart out of the Australian batting line-up and England defended the Ashes. England, of course, couldn't see any problem with it.

There was also the case of an English captain (I think it was Atherton) who was found to have dirt in his pockets and was rubbing it on the ball.

However, you've forgotten my favourite. Headingly 1972, the Fusarium pitch. Lillee and Massie were having tremendous success in the series, Headingly had been a pace bowling wicket all season, but suddenly England added Underwood to the team and the pitch mysteriously was affected by a disease known as Fusarium. It was odd because although the disease affected the pitch, it didn't spread to any other part of the oval. Underwood, the best bowler in the world on bad wickets, ripped the heart out of the Australian batting line-up and England defended the Ashes. England, of course, couldn't see any problem with it.
Athers was the dirt in pocket man - Fusarium was unique to one pitch in the whole of the country

By the way, who died and left Duckett the cricketing expert of the world?

Virendar Seywag, Big Dos, Punter, Gilly, Sir Viv Richards, Sir Garfield Sobers, Sir Ian Botham, Kevin Pietersen, Davey Warner, Michael Slater and some others whose names aren't on the top of my head don't exist apparently when it comes to smart, positive and aggressive batting.

Duckett's comments, and he's not the only one, illustrate why this England test team is hard to like even if one can respect their desire to play positive cricket with bat and ball.

Last edited:

You left out the time he took a swipe at Steve Smith as NZ captain for the Ben stokes obstructing the field dismissal in an ODI.

I found it strange and quite arrogant at the time an NZ captain commenting on a dismissal in an ODI involving England and Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You left out the time he took a swipe at Steve Smith as NZ captain for the Ben stokes obstructing the field dismissal in an ODI.

I found it strange and quite arrogant at the time an NZ captain commenting on a dismissal in an ODI involving England and Australia.

I'm sure there are other things I've omitted. I've never been a fan of McCullum, so far as I'm concerned he was just a slogger. Whereas I enjoy good controlled hitting (a la Gilchrist), sloggers don't interest me at all, and that's why I laughed out loud when Starc knocked him over 2nd ball in the 2015 World Cup final.

I'm sure there are other things I've omitted. I've never been a fan of McCullum, so far as I'm concerned he was just a slogger. Whereas I enjoy good controlled hitting (a la Gilchrist), sloggers don't interest me at all, and that's why I laughed out loud when Starc knocked him over 2nd ball in the 2015 World Cup final.

The guy batted 2 days to save a test match and make 300.
He made a century off 190 balls with his team 4-down and following on against Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson.
He made 225 in India with his team trailing by 130 on the first innings.
Made 224 with his team at 3-30 against Shami, Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma on the first morning of a test at University Oval.

I get why people don’t particularly love him but yeah, you don’t fluke 4 test double hundreds and a 195 by being a slogger.

The guy batted 2 days to save a test match and make 300.
He made a century off 190 balls with his team 4-down and following on against Ryan Harris and Mitchell Johnson.
He made 225 in India with his team trailing by 130 on the first innings.
Made 224 with his team at 3-30 against Shami, Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma on the first morning of a test at University Oval.

I get why people don’t particularly love him but yeah, you don’t fluke 4 test double hundreds and a 195 by being a slogger.

I guess if you take those 6 big innings from Baz's 176 inings test record....his ave drops from 38 to 31....so I can see why folk have their doubts on McCullum's batting prowess, as any more then being just a slogger...but hey the guy was great to watch in full slogging flow.

I guess if you take those 6 big innings from Baz's 176 inings test record....his ave drops from 38 to 31....so I can see why folk have their doubts on McCullum's batting prowess, as any more then being just a slogger...but hey the guy was great to watch in full slogging flow.

I’m not sure of the specifics but I’d imagine if you remove just two of my own favourite player’s innings his average would drop from 54 down to barely 50 (Brian Lara)

He passed 50, 43 times in 176 innings playing 52 of his tests as a wicketkeeper.

As a non wicketkeeper he averaged 43.

Anyone dismissing him as ‘just a slogger’ is basically, making a stupid argument.

Nah you’ve got him wrong - not a slogger - good technique

If you take out Bradman's top six innings, his average drops to 81.

What a loser...

If you take out Bradman's top six innings, his average drops to 81.

What a loser...

I guess 81 is a smidgen better then 31..so you can't really call Bradman a loser...oh hang on.... am I the loser?.......yeah I probably am, if folk got a gist of my career batting average.

I never said McCullum was a slogger, just merely guessing as to why others may think he was.....live and die by the sword I guess was McCullum's mantra.....thus his sub 40 test average.

Virendar Seywag, Big Dos, Punter, Gilly, Sir Viv Richards, Sir Garfield Sobers, Sir Ian Botham, Kevin Pietersen, Davey Warner, Michael Slater and some others whose names aren't on the top of my head don't exist apparently when it comes to smart, positive and aggressive batting.

Duckett's comments, and he's not the only one, illustrate why this England test team is hard to like even if one can respect their desire to play positive cricket with bat and ball.
Walters twice scored a hundred in a Test session. In the West Indies in 73 and in Perth in 74/75. I've got a suspicion he did it in an international v Rest of the World in 71/72 as well.
Another name to add to the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back