India v NZ [3 Tests, 5 ODIs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. Santner was the one who was always going to be picked (as an A/R), and neither Craig nor Sodhi is reliable enough to entrust on their own. Picking only four bowlers would leave them short if things were going pear-shaped.

Given NZ are in exactly the same position India was yesterday - 1/150 odd - we will see if India can recover with their four bowlers to get NZ all out for 300. I don't think they will.
Ita an interesting conundrum teams face when playing 2 spinners. I understand the a/r when playing the 3pace 1spin as your paceman arent going to be able to bowl enough overs but with 2pace 2spin your spinners are able to bowl alot more overs. If you play that a/r it just seems like overkill to me. If Santner is going to bowl the overs of a frontliner then your wasting that bowler spot IMO.

I suppose I'm also thinking that your never going to struggle to take 20 wkts on the pitches India currently produce but you will certainly struggle to put a winning score on. Whether Nicholls could add enough value to the side (as hes not certain to be test quality) is the question i suppose. It is an interesting discussion and your point is certainly valid and is probably a more well-held opinion. The security of the 5th bowler is definitely a valid counter-argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vijay would have to be one of the most underrated players in world cricket.

Agree one of the best if not the best opener in world cricket at the moment. Since his comeback into the Indian team been successful in all conditions and above all has a brilliant concentration span.

What's facinating is he is a very aggressive limited overs player yet can curb that to last whole days. Reminds me of faf and ab who can adjust their games depending on the format.

Kiwis already two down. Guptill a very poor shot; surely it's time to move on from him now.

Last edited:
Is Ashwin the best player in the world at the moment? His bowling record is phenomenal (about 5-and-a-half wickets per test), and he averages 34 with the bat with 4 centuries.

Sure, his record at home is much better than away (like most players), but even his away record is - Bowling average 33, Batting 30 (2 hundreds). That's pretty good to start with - add his amazing home record (Bowling avg 21, batting 39) and he's probably the first picked in the World XI right now.

India need 6 wickets, NZ need 341 runs on Day 5 in India with their two best spin bowlers being able to bowl the entire day.

NZ should declare overnight and prepare for the 2nd test. I think India have got better it will be interesting when they play us here next in Australia will be a fascinating series. I think we go there next year in February/March, death by spin expected.

Is Ashwin the best player in the world at the moment? His bowling record is phenomenal (about 5-and-a-half wickets per test), and he averages 34 with the bat with 4 centuries.

Sure, his record at home is much better than away (like most players), but even his away record is - Bowling average 33, Batting 30 (2 hundreds). That's pretty good to start with - add his amazing home record (Bowling avg 21, batting 39) and he's probably the first picked in the World XI right now.
I've been following Ashwin ever since Sachin retired. He just seems to be the best all rounder player for us.

And, he's my favourite player at the moment; and has been for sometime now.

Dunno about best player in the world, but hard to see how he isn't the best allrounder at the moment. Very hot run of form.

Good on Ronchi for battling it out, has developed himself greatly in the latter part of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back