India vs Australia 1st Test: 23 to 27 Feb at Pune at 3pm (Mel/Syd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wade and Neville are both below standard - we're going to have to roll the dice with someone else sometime in the next decade.

Enough with M. Marsh already, Khawaja out of the side is a sin. We may have cracked the 300 by now if he was played.

Wade and Neville are both below standard - we're going to have to roll the dice with someone else sometime in the next decade.

Enough with M. Marsh already, Khawaja out of the side is a sin. We may have cracked the 300 by now if he was played.

Khawaja wasn't helping much on a turning pitch. That isn't to say MMarsh should be there either.

reminds me again of watching paul reiffel walk in at #8 and annoy the kiwis and saffers. averaged over 50 three series in a row. too bad he only averaged 3 wickets a test for his career.

He was a damn fine bowler though. Very tight and accurate, like a McGrath-lite.

Neville wouldn't do any better.

I can certainly buy Neville as the superior gloveman but Wade is just flat out a better bat, don't even think it's worth debating that aspect of it.

As with a few others, he's just not great on this kind of surface

Based on what? Nevill scored a 50 in his second last Test match and has scored two Shield centuries since being dropped. When was the last time Wade made a Shield century? Nevill has a far superior batting technique to Wade who just seems to swipe across the line.

reminds me again of watching paul reiffel walk in at #8 and annoy the kiwis and saffers. averaged over 50 three series in a row. too bad he only averaged 3 wickets a test for his career.

I went to a day of the Perth test of that series and Reiffel batted for a long time then too, one of the most boring days of test cricket I've ever attended.

The NZ bowlers struggled to dismiss the Aussie lower order who just ground out runs at a snails pace.

Presumably Mitch Marsh got another call up as they wanted an all rounder that could bowl pace with them picking two spinners but with him struggling to score runs they may as well just pick another frontline pace bowler or spinner.

The rubbish I'm reading online re: Mitch Marsh is pathetic. I understand people disagreeing with his selection, and I agree with that, but the bullying culture online says a lot about the people that take part.

It's a dark and pathetic place.

Primarily referring to FB comments, the home of the anonymous hero.

I get that companies like Sportsbet love a bit of humour with their posts but basically encouraging the vitriol is fairly pathetic.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get howled down for it, so I'll finish by saying not even Neser would deserve the barbs being thrown. Peace.

The rubbish I'm reading online re: Mitch Marsh is pathetic. I understand people disagreeing with his selection, and I agree with that, but the bullying culture online says a lot about the people that take part.

I get that companies like Sportsbet love a bit of humour with their posts but basically encouraging the vitriol is fairly pathetic.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get howled down for it, so I'll finish by saying not even Neser would deserve the barbs being thrown. Peace.

He wouldn't be copping it if he'd actually EARNT his recall, you know as apparently a top 6 bat...getting Shield runs! People have just about had it with him being gifted test match after test match for very little performances.

A bloke can fail, it happens that's cricket. However if you pick out of form blokes only one thing will happen. Marsh has barely got a run all year. What did they honestly think would happen?

For all this talk about Wades batting he has done **** all in a long time.

Yes, that's what it's about for me. I'm not about to criticise wicketkeepers, I never did it, and I'm sure it's a very difficult skill to master. However, as you rightly say, Wade was selected for his batting, and up to now, he's pretty much failed. Needs some runs, and quickly.

Sorry mate but the criticism is fair and defending it says a lot really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Very well done India. Bout time we saw 90 in a day. Should be absolutely mandatory with massive penalties where it doesn't happen.

Agree. 90 overs in a day shouldn't be too much to ask. However, it's not only the fielding captain who is at fault. There's simply way too much time farting around, including the amount of time batsmen waste in a day. Just look at yesterday where Renshaw thought everyone should wait around while he took a dump. Umpires correctly made him retire hurt, and I wish they'd use their authority to tell players to get on with it.

A player gets knock, and out runs the physio. We all know that cricket ball can sting but FFS, give it a rub and get on with it. Also, way too much time wasted with DRS reviews. They need to quicken that process.

Agree. 90 overs in a day shouldn't be too much to ask. However, it's not only the fielding captain who is at fault. There's simply way too much time farting around, including the amount of time batsmen waste in a day. Just look at yesterday where Renshaw thought everyone should wait around while he took a dump. Umpires correctly made him retire hurt, and I wish they'd use their authority to tell players to get on with it.

A player gets knock, and out runs the physio. We all know that cricket ball can sting but FFS, give it a rub and get on with it. Also, way too much time wasted with DRS reviews. They need to quicken that process.
Also the time Warner takes between balls is a joke. Have noticed this for a long time. Undoing his f***** gloves after every ball. A lot of the time the bowler is standing there waiting for him to settle. In my days of playing once the bowler got to the top of his mark he would start running in whether the batsman was ready or not.

How bout the reality that if you blink, our tailenders will be gone.

Our tail is not what it used to be. We've lost 2 wickets while I've typed this.

The point is, runs count on a wicket like this, not batting time.
Yep, and we are still in.

I went to a day of the Perth test of that series and Reiffel batted for a long time then too, one of the most boring days of test cricket I've ever attended.

The NZ bowlers struggled to dismiss the Aussie lower order who just ground out runs at a snails pace.

Presumably Mitch Marsh got another call up as they wanted an all rounder that could bowl pace with them picking two spinners but with him struggling to score runs they may as well just pick another frontline pace bowler or spinner.
If Starc can bat like that, why can't MMarsh?

its a raging turner but we're still about 50 off a comfortable score.

It's not completely unplayable when you get in. I think India will score about 350-400 on it, which still puts us in the game bowling last on it.

Taking all things into account, not a bad effort on what is a ridiculous pitch. If the ball rolls on Day 4 will they stop the Test? Renshaw was excellent, as was Starc and Hazelwood as a great support. If Starc and Hazelwood can get their angles right, they could seriously bother the Indians. Just not sure whether our spinners will be as good as the Indians. If Australia can make India bat on this wicket a second time, chasing 120+ it could become a very interesting match.

It's not completely unplayable when you get in. I think India will score about 350-400 on it, which still puts us in the game bowling last on it.
You don't take sand to the beach.

Again, common sense doesn't prevail.

Australia's record in the second innings on Sub Continent is not good. Have to dismiss India for less than their score to have a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back