India vs Australia 3rd Test: 16 to 20 March at Ranchi at 3pm (Mel/Syd)

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem we have with officialdom in all sports is that we (the public) rarely get to know what their real thoughts are, disguised by political correctness. I am reasonably well connected in cricket and have been fortunate enough to befriend several Test umpires, both Australian and International.

Many years ago I was told that a majority of Test umpires weren't happy that Murali's action was legal and lodged their concerns with the ICC. This was after the initial reports from umpires Hair & Emerson, and after Murali began wearing long sleeves buttoned to the wrist.

This led to the farcical tests in Perth where Murali rolled his arm over and convinced the authorities that his elbow was less than 15% flexed in his action. At no stage was he made to bowl as he would in a Test match, and at no stage was he asked to bowl the doosra, a delivery that is impossible for an off spinner to bowl without chucking.

From that time on, umpires were instructed not to call Murali on suspicion of an illegal action. This was the green light he needed and from that time on he flicked and chucked his way to a wicket taking record. Umpires and match referees were, however, allowed to express their concerns to the ICC, who largely ignored any further complaints from officials trying to do their jobs.

It became obvious the entire question of chucking was shelved indefinitely, and that the subject was taboo in the media. Channel 9, for instance, would always show great bowlers' actions from in front, as well as from side on. When it came to Murali, at no stage was he ever analysed from side on like ever other bowler. It was apparent the entire episode had been put to bed and no further discussion took place ... not in the media anyway. The umpires continued to gnash their teeth but were powerless to do anything about it. Any further comment about it would place their umpiring careers at risk.

There was indeed a massive cover up. Why Murali, nobody really knows, but the moment he retired, suddenly discussion on illegal actions were back on the agenda. You really didn't need to be a Rhodes Scholar to understand what was going on. The authorities had dug a hole too deep to cover and couldn't possibly ban a bowler for life after they'd allowed him to take 400+ Test wickets.

Now, the Murali lovers out there will hate what I've posted. They will also think it fabricated, but I'm telling you this is precisely what took place. My umpiring acquaintances would only discuss Murali with me on the grounds I not quote them. Pathetic, isn't it?

The UWA testing in 2004 was specifically done on his doosra.....

Murali was a chucker no doubt about it, the authorities just let it ride and when Darrell Hair had the integrity/honesty to stand up and call him they threw him to the wolves, the rules were then changed to allow a 15% straightening of the arm.

Murali should have his records amended to show an asterisk against his wickets pre the rule change.

*wickets taken while chucking.

So was everyone else.

Of course the rules only matter when it's not an Australian though.

So was everyone else.

Of course the rules only matter when it's not an Australian though.
Didn't these same people (the ICC) clear a bunch of people like Ajmal with their biomechanical testing before cracking down on chucking and deciding that actually despite their earlier findings these bowlers were in fact throwing? Was a couple of years ago...

So much hate for the Indian side. I suggest some culture enlightenment should come your way.
So Kohli is the Indian side. Lols

Treat someone like a God, they end up acting like the devil.

As for cultural enlightenment could you enlightenment me on the caste system and which lower castes are represented in the Indian team?

Why are Indians so discriminatory?

Because anyone with half a brain would do the same you can't go around calling dark skinned people dead shits. Hence the point I was making.
Victim mentality on show.

Kohli in my view is a complete and utter deadshit bereft of class or dignity.

But it is always enlightening to be lectured on racism by an Indian

So Kohli is the Indian side. Lols

Treat someone like a God, they end up acting like the devil.

As for cultural enlightenment could you enlightenment me on the caste system and which lower castes are represented in the Indian team?

Why are Indians so discriminatory?

For the same reason you can't boo the ex 37 from the Swans

Murali chucked, don't say he didn't. He also got to play on sub continent for more than half his Tests. Warne was better and played better in a greater variety of conditions. India was the only place he struggled. Unlike Murali, Warne rarely played against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Warne was named as Wisden's top 5 cricketers of the century. I'll take their word over some anti-Aussie Big Footy poster full of agenda.

Murali may have made Baseball's top 5 pitchers of the century. The rules were changed specifically to make him legal. Lab testing arm straightened 14.9%. ICC says "hmmmm, 14.9%, best we make the rule 15% then". And that was lab testing, imagine how many degrees his arm straightened on-field when he didn't have to have all sort of laboratory electrodes measuring him.

Simple thinkers will look at stats, those with brains will look beyond the stats. We found which one you were.

Completely wrong. Those same tests found that Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee and pretty much every other bowler tested bent their elbows to some degree. Read this before you spout any more garbage about stats and purportedly having a brain.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/139581.html

Murali was a chucker no doubt about it, the authorities just let it ride and when Darrell Hair had the integrity/honesty to stand up and call him they threw him to the wolves, the rules were then changed to allow a 15% straightening of the arm.

Murali should have his records amended to show an asterisk against his wickets pre the rule change.

If Darrell Hair was being consistent when he called Murali for chucking, he should also have called about 5 other bowlers, including Glenn McGrath in that same match.

Have a read of the rules as they existed then.

https://www.ielm.ust.hk/dfaculty/ravi/cricket/jan11-96.html

So, presumably, you must also be advocating for the same asterisk next to McGrath and Lee's figures?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I shouldn't have brought Murali into this, because this thread has descended into a s**t flinging fight.

Gough, intervention required.

Lock it and get ready for the last test!

Agreed, it's not something the two parties are ever going to find common ground on. Let's everybody agree to differ, and part as friends.

Group hug anyone ? :D

Btw, as I recall at the times, the rules weren't changed to allow Murali's action, it was found that most bowlers flex past 8-10 degress, flex and hyperflex. Even Lee hyperflexed.

As soon as that was proven to be the case, the Australian lead Murali witch hunt died.
Lol @ "even" Lee.

They threw Daryl Hair under the bus. What was he meant to do? He genuinely believed he chucked. Now they allow umpires to make a report. They tried to make out that Hair was some how racist, which is typical.

They threw Daryl Hair under the bus. What was he meant to do? He genuinely believed he chucked. Now they allow umpires to make a report. They tried to make out that Hair was some how racist, which is typical.
i appreciate the feedback but i will follow the advice of our esteemed mod Gough and not comment any further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back