India vs West Indies (2 tests, 5 ODIs and 3 T20s)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Kohli better than Viv?

I guess Viv will always have that Gilchristian aura of doing things that might seem normal now but were absolutely unheard of back then - I mean really, averaged nearly 50, less friendly decks, the bigger ground etc, at a strike rate over 90. He’s probably the only one with a realistic claim.

I’ve just never seen someone in odi cricket who is in such complete conmand of everything they do.

Look at some of the other guys on the bracket above 50 - Bevan was nerveless but had limited gears. Dhoni has all the gears but sometimes his inability to go through them early enough leaves his team short of what they need/want.

Kohli doesn’t have any of those limitations. Plus he does it batting at 3.

It’s mind blowing.

I guess Viv will always have that Gilchristian aura of doing things that might seem normal now but were absolutely unheard of back then - I mean really, averaged nearly 50, less friendly decks, the bigger ground etc, at a strike rate over 90. He’s probably the only one with a realistic claim.

I’ve just never seen someone in odi cricket who is in such complete conmand of everything they do.

Look at some of the other guys on the bracket above 50 - Bevan was nerveless but had limited gears. Dhoni has all the gears but sometimes his inability to go through them early enough leaves his team short of what they need/want.

Kohli doesn’t have any of those limitations. Plus he does it batting at 3.

It’s mind blowing.

Yeah Viv is still a great bat, just the arrogance drew fans into the grounds. Kohli is a great ODI player no doubt about it, and even in Test he is already elite and he has another 2 - 3 years at his peak to go.

If I was to go a top 5 of all time, ODI, would look like this:

1. Kohli
2. Tendulkar
3. Richards
4. AB de Villiers
5. Dhoni

To make it a top 10, would look:

6. Ponting
7. Jayasuriya
8. Amla
9. Sharma
10. Sangakkara

That's off the top without referencing stats or anything.

Kohli in ODI's is arguably the closest thing to Bradman we have ever seen.

Sachin to Viv is very close, the only reason I go Tendulkar is 450 ODI's at about 45 is ridiculous.

ABDV is an absolute freak with a 53 average to boot!

Dhoni's cool head is incredible, especially at the business end of the innings!

This is actually West Indies best chance of getting a win. I get the feeling that with what is at best a patchwork attack, any total their batsmen make, Kohli and Dhoni will run it down.

At least this way the pressure goes onto the Indian bowlers rather than their batsmen to make sure they do what is required to win. They’re decent but nowhere near as reliable as their batsmwn

Samuels is taking the piss if he thinks his action is reformed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Viv with the bats of today. Even though he had one huge mother of a bat during his career.

His batting in that second odi final of 89 was a site to behold

Kholi is just as great to watch.

One thing cricket needs to significantly improve is the regular mini breaks. It’s becoming farcical

This is getting ridic.

If Australia churn out the same sort of decks they have the last few summers, Kohli will average 200 this season

They need a little green and bounce on their decks.

Do the groundsmen want to nullify Virat?

Got to say Kohli is the greatest ODI Player the world has seen, just keeps churning out 100's and big ones too, the fact he bats a number 3 is another consideration, going to eat us as a snack when he comes here next month.

Poor from Rayudu. He should have saved the boundary. Anyway, fair result seeing how WI batted and how we pulled back after Hetmyer's wicket. WI has been brilliant so far. Samuels, being experienced player should have chipped in. If he had contributed surely Windies would have won.

Samuels will score a ton in the deciding ODI. He is Mr Clutch!
Poor from Rayudu. He should have saved the boundary. Anyway, fair result seeing how WI batted and how we pulled back after Hetmyer's wicket. WI has been brilliant so far. Samuels, being experienced player should have chipped in. If he had contributed surely Windies would have won.

This is getting ridic.

If Australia churn out the same sort of decks they have the last few summers, Kohli will average 200 this season

I Don’t think the decks will stop him. Kohli is averaging 140 odd in ODI this year in 11 matches... of which 9 games were in South Africa and England. He already averages 50 in Australia. Guy is awesome and also great to watch. He seems to be able to blend the sub continent wrists and power and timing and reach and most brilliantly, placing. I have been watching/recording almost all his innings over the last few years and I’m gobsmacked.
Just a shame he doesn’t get the right sort of admiration in Australia. An example being cricket Australia posting a old vid on cricket.com.au talking up the upcoming test series.... and it was... all about Khoki and Haddin sledging each other...... nothing to do about bloody cricket and the art of batting and bowling but the s**t we don’t primarily go to watch.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back