Indian Premier League - 2019

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn't watch the match, checked the scorecard after the match on cricbuzz and I saw that Buttler had been runout by Ashwin. My first reaction was how on earth did Buttler manage to get runout by Ashwin.

Then I open twitter and Ashwin is getting crucified from all corners including Indian fans. There's been an epic meltdown on social media especially among English pundits. You like the mankad or hate it, but you gotta love the entertainment that comes with it everytime it happens lol.

My opinion is that I didn't like it and it could have been avoided. I think the 2 or so seconds that Ashwin waited before taking off the bails made it look so much more worse, don't think he would've got as much stick had he removed the bails without that wait time. It looked like a con job than an actual mankad which is probably why it left a bitter taste in many people's mouths.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
My only gripe is the amount of vilification a bowler gets after a mankad and the "spirit of cricket" that comes with it. The ICC should first make it rules clear on the mankad, whether if it's within the rules of the game or not. If majority feel the mankad is not in the spirit of the game, then outlaw it instead of whinging and vilification that happens everytime it occurs.

This dismissal of Brian Lara by Alec Stewart wasn't much different from the Jos Buttler dismissal. You can't call it "clever play" when the wicketkeeper does it and castigate when a bowler does the same.

West Coasters

Rookie
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Just a thought re the mankad. Yes I thought about this because of the Ashwin incident but it is a general comment, not specifically referring to the Ashwin incident. I am to extent ignoring the "spirit" of the game because at an absolute elite level like international cricket, IPL etc it is is a little bit harder to "police" per se.

The mankad action in general I don't like personally. I think the bowler should be concentrating on bowling the ball and if the non striker is taking the pi55 re backing up then the umpire should step in. However, the actual written rule has some serious grey areas. My idea with a rule change/adjustment is to get rid of the grey areas.

My suggested change/adjustment is that the non striker should not be able to leave the crease until the bowler has LET GO of the ball. Anytime pre letting the ball go, the bowler can Mankad/run out the non striker. This to me is a lot more black and white. This will stop any future controversy.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Low life cheating piece of camels piss. Premeditated act of buggery by a desperate ...[ insert here ]

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
D2kPAV8U8AEIcVs.jpeg

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
s**t act from a s**t bloke. I have no problem with a bowler running out the non striker if he was blatantly leaving his crease prematurely to gain an advantage, and had been warned. This was definitely not the case in this instance.

Buttler wasn’t even trying to crib. He clearly thought Ashwin had bowled the ball as he left his crease. Ashwin basically tricked him into thinking that.

If an Australian bowler had carried out a similar dog act, I reckon I and many others would be calling for his head.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
My suggested change/adjustment is that the non striker should not be able to leave the crease until the bowler has LET GO of the ball.

Shouldn't that be the case already?

30.1.1 A batsman shall be considered to be out of his/her ground unless some part of his/her person or bat is grounded behind the popping crease at that end.

The greatest batsman of all Don Bradman had this to say on 'Mankading', after Bill Brown was run out for the second time in the second Test in Sydney in 1947.

"An early sensation came in Australia’s innings when Brown was once more run out by Mankad, who, in the act of delivering the ball, held on to it and whipped the bails off with Brown well out of his crease.

"For the life of me I cannot understand why. The laws of cricket make it quite clear that the non-striker must keep within his ground until the ball has been delivered.

"If not, why is the provision there which enables the bowler to run him out?

"By backing up too far or too early the non-striker is very obviously gaining an unfair advantage … there was absolutely no feeling in the matter as far as we were concerned, for we considered it quite a legitimate part of the game."

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I heard about it and initially thought maybe Buttler was at fault like he probably was against Sri Lanka, but then I watched the footage and it was a complete joke.

There's no way Ashwin went into bowl that ball without premeditating the whole thing, he went into the bowlers stride and the only reason Buttler was out of his crease was because he was ready to watch the ball be delivered down the other end.

If this happened in a Test there would rightly be big controversy and I don't think Ashwin would dare do it in the longest format. Honesty can't shake the feeling that Ashwin and co felt the game was slipping away and had to resort to that to get back in the game. Undermines these t20 leagues to be honest and a rule might need to come in where a warning or two is part of the rules.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't wait to watch Americans trying to decipher the mankad rule. Need another mankad controversy today!

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
My only gripe is the amount of vilification a bowler gets after a mankad and the "spirit of cricket" that comes with it. The ICC should first make it rules clear on the mankad, whether if it's within the rules of the game or not. If majority feel the mankad is not in the spirit of the game, then outlaw it instead of whinging and vilification that happens everytime it occurs.

This dismissal of Brian Lara by Alec Stewart wasn't much different from the Jos Buttler dismissal. You can't call it "clever play" when the wicketkeeper does it and castigate when a bowler does the same.

I'm sorry but that's not even in the same ball park. That's clever wicket keeping, and laziness from Lara who didn't have his foot down, there's not even a question of "spirit of cricket" in that dismissal.

Ashwin went into the delivery with the sole intention of "tricking" Buttler so he could run him out, this is more along the lines of McCullum running out Murali when he was celebrating his batting partner's century. Like McCullum, hopefully Ashwin regrets it one day too.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm sorry but that's not even in the same ball park. That's clever wicket keeping, and laziness from Lara who didn't have his foot down, there's not even a question of "spirit of cricket" in that dismissal.

Ashwin went into the delivery with the sole intention of "tricking" Buttler so he could run him out, this is more along the lines of McCullum running out Murali when he was celebrating his batting partner's century. Like McCullum, hopefully Ashwin regrets it one day too.

A lot of people would term Buttler wandering out of the crease before the bowler has delivered the ball as laziness too.

Lara wasn't stumped while advancing a foot down the track, he wasn't stumped in the process of overbalancing in the crease after getting deceived in the flight of the ball. Lara simply missed the ball and the wicket keeper collected it. Most batsmen would consider the ball dead at this point and get ready to face the next ball. Stewart's whole intention was to fool Lara to thinking the ball was dead and get him stumped while he's unaware. What next, a wicket keeper can stump a batsman when he leaves his crease to tap the wicket after missing a ball?

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Besides, Buttler was out of the crease everytime before Ashwin had delivered the ball in the three balls prior his dismissal. Like I said, I do not like such incidents and prefer they don't happen but find the vilification of the bowler and making out the batsman as a martyr everytime a mankad happens bizarre.

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Just to double check something in case I'm not aware: people keep referring to Ashwin as a 's**t bloke'. Does he have a history of dog acts or...?

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dhawan is a terrible T20 player playing almost entirely on his ODI reputation. Plays more match losing innings than match winning ones.

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Dhoni doing his best to lose the game (or make it close). 43 from 54 is now 22 from 18. Luckily 7 wickets in hand.

.1.1.1 | 21.1.. | ..112nb1 | 1....1 | 1111.1 | ....1

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Besides, Buttler was out of the crease everytime before Ashwin had delivered the ball in the three balls prior his dismissal. Like I said, I do not like such incidents and prefer they don't happen but find the vilification of the bowler and making out the batsman as a martyr everytime a mankad happens bizarre.

Don't think that's necessarily true. Like I said my first reaction to the news was that Buttler was at fault because I thought he was at fault against Sri Lanka a few years ago as well (he got multiple warnings and yet was still doing it).

When I watched the footage, what I saw changed my mind and it looked like a desperate bowler per-meditating that weak dismissal.

I personally think if an overseas bowler in the IPL did this to an Indian batsman like Kohli or whoever that they wouldn't be invited back. This also sets a standard where a bowler can just premeditate this and get people out whenever they want too.

Sure, you can argue that batsman should just stay in their crease until the bowler has let the ball go but it could still happen. The only thing stopping it is the fact Ashwin is facing so much criticism.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I so wish Kyrgios was a cricketer lol.

They are pretty similar IMO.

Nadal & other clay courters take the piss by standing so far back to return so cop your medicine if someone under arms you.

In T20 cricket the non striker takes the piss by backing up before it is bowled so cop your medicine if someone mankads you.

Last edited:
Back