Indian Premier League - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Random question...

I haven’t really watched any IPL since season 1 when it was on tv. And I don’t know much about India, having never been there.

There’s no polite way to ask this - why are all the cheerleaders white? Is it like Japan where there’s a certain reverence of western culture? Is it just that Indians are brought up on Bollywood style and that’s not what IPL wants?

It’s very noticeable when you’re watching.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Been that way since the 1st season IIRC. Although not all the cheerleaders are white, i've seen a few locals (or at least local looking, they might be Americans).

They'd want to have a thick skin though.

Random question...

I haven’t really watched any IPL since season 1 when it was on tv. And I don’t know much about India, having never been there.

There’s no polite way to ask this - why are all the cheerleaders white? Is it like Japan where there’s a certain reverence of western culture? Is it just that Indians are brought up on Bollywood style and that’s not what IPL wants?

It’s very noticeable when you’re watching.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Haha I was wondering this as well.

CSK actually has had Indian cheerleaders for the most part and a few other teams followed suit as well. Some teams had Indian dancers doing Indian traditional dances, but that didn't really work out. But yeah, cheerleaders have been mostly white in the IPL.

Think there are a few reasons for that. Indian sports don't have a cheerleading culture like American sports, so process cheerleaders might be hard to find. And then, there's the obvious more white = more attractive stereotypic belief in India, hence the predilection for these franchise clubs towards white women and men. Personally, I have never understood the point of cheerleading and think it adds nothing to the game. Making white people dance non stop in the scorching heat of India almost looks like torture and I feel for those cheerleaders. I don't mind some drums, etc., after every boundary.

India is a lot more conservative so would Indian women that were cheerleaders get looked down on by family etc

India is a lot more conservative so would Indian women that were cheerleaders get looked down on by family etc

India is indeed conservative when compared to western societies but India isn't Afghanistan lol. There are plenty of models, dancers, actresses in India, not going to be hard to find a few in a country of a billion. Besides, cheerleaders don't wear skimpy clothes anymore, atleast from what I've seen this season. Most of them wear skirts with skin dresses or long pants. So I don't think it's going to be that different from say dancing for Bollywood, etc.

In any case, this concept of cheerleading is alien to India and it's there purely to present the IPL as a commercial package ala what you see in American sports with cheerleading, mascots and what not. The sooner it's done away with, the better it is. Cricket doesn't really need to ape American sports, it's entertaining as it is.

Seriously is Yadav great mates with Kohli or something? No idea how he makes the Indian team and now he's in Kohli's IPL side opening the bowling and generally embarrassing himself. Not sure I've seen many bowlers who would be as difficult to set a field for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alan Wilkins said on air that Jofra Archer is soon to play for England if everything goes to plan.

Gavaskar smiled and said "Yes, best of luck to the rest of the world team":sweatsmile:

^ They will need all those runs considering how hopeless Bangalore are when it comes to bowling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back