Indian Premier League franchises ready to splash cash at mega auction

Remove this Banner Ad

90N90S

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
"The IPL is operating under a new broadcast deal this year. In September it was reported that Star India had bought the rights for the next five seasons at the cost of approximately $3.2 billion. Since then the salary cap has been increased by about 20 per cent meaning IPL franchises will be able to spend up to $16m each on building their 2018 rosters. The key unit of currency to watch out for is the crore, which equates to 10 million Indian rupees or about $200,000. It is by the crore which the value of players who go under the hammer is measured, particularly the superstars fetching the big bucks."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...ash-cash-at-mega-auction-20180125-h0om9z.html

How did the IPL become so fig so fast? I remember when no one wanted to play in the IPL? Now everyone is running there?

Does it have a big market? I know over here the BB is harldy making any money.

And we haven't even heard of the IPL over here.

"The IPL is operating under a new broadcast deal this year. In September it was reported that Star India had bought the rights for the next five seasons at the cost of approximately $3.2 billion. Since then the salary cap has been increased by about 20 per cent meaning IPL franchises will be able to spend up to $16m each on building their 2018 rosters. The key unit of currency to watch out for is the crore, which equates to 10 million Indian rupees or about $200,000. It is by the crore which the value of players who go under the hammer is measured, particularly the superstars fetching the big bucks."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...ash-cash-at-mega-auction-20180125-h0om9z.html

How did the IPL become so fig so fast? I remember when no one wanted to play in the IPL? Now everyone is running there?

Does it have a big market? I know over here the BB is harldy making any money.

And we haven't even heard of the IPL over here.
When was this time when no one wanted to play in it?

When was this time when no one wanted to play in it?

When it first stared out even now no one (public in Australia, SA, NZ, England) is interested in it, so my question how did they manage to sell the rights for $3.2 billion?

When it first came out it was televised in oz. but not since. It was great cricket to watch.
Cricketers play it more for the money these days, using other 20/20 LEAGUES to gain a leg in.
Hopefully someone over here picks up the rights.

When it first stared out even now no one (public in Australia, SA, NZ, England) is interested in it, so my question how did they manage to sell the rights for $3.2 billion?
The players have always been interested in it because its worth alot of money to them. They sold the rights for that much because its the most popular tournament in the most popular sport in a country of 1billion+ people.

The players have always been interested in it because its worth alot of money to them. They sold the rights for that much because its the most popular tournament in the most popular sport in a country of 1billion+ people.

But the rest of us don't care about it, to sell the rights for that much means it has international appeal.

But the IPL has no international appeal it's just a domestic tournament.

So why have the ICC allocated it it's own fixture with no international matches during that period.?

But the rest of us don't care about it, to sell the rights for that much means it has international appeal.

But the IPL has no international appeal it's just a domestic tournament.

So why have the ICC allocated it it's own fixture with no international matches during that period.?
That much? That's very reasonable for a sport with the massive financial appeal of the IPL.

Mate, you're so far off with your opinions here that it's really worrying.

That much? That's very reasonable for a sport with the massive financial appeal of the IPL.

Mate, you're so far off with your opinions here that it's really worrying.

So you're saying the people in Australia care about the IPL? Or in England etc?

So who is going to be the average Englishman that goes for 1.5mil+ this year. I'm going to say Tom Curran.

Don't mind the IPL auction though, always interesting. Always wonder what goes through an Australian international player's head when they go for a 'measly' 200k when everyone else is going for 600+.

So you're saying the people in Australia care about the IPL? Or in England etc?
Who cares?

India is the biggest financial force in world cricket. The IPL is the biggest event they have. It's bigger than anything else, except possibly the World Cup and the Ashes, and that's only because they're not annual.

So who is going to be the average Englishman that goes for 1.5mil+ this year. I'm going to say Tom Curran.
Dan Christian was the huge buy one year.

I think D’Arcy Short will go for way too much and then produce nothing as the spinners will eat him alive on those decks.

I think D’Arcy Short will go for way too much and then produce nothing as the spinners will eat him alive on those decks.

Kane Richardson went for 900k I reckon one year, before he'd even played for Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember that year - middling cricketer gets a lotto win with a $1m contract

Then i watch him play the last BBL game at the WACA that season and he limps off after ripping his hamstring.

I thought to myself - that's the equivalent of leaving the winning lotto ticket in your trowsers and putting it through the wash

Last edited:
Chris Gayle went unsold

Blush.gif

Of the international players, so far Steve Smith, David Warner, Sunil Narine and Ben Stokes are the equal most expensive, all going for 12.5 crore (USD$1.95m)

Kohli, unsurprisingly, is the most expensive at 17 crore (USD$2.6m)

Chris Gayle went unsold

Didn't get picked up in the PSL either or the BBL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back