Indian Premier League (IPL) 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno what happened to Deccan Chargers. Went for them in the first years cos they had Symons and Gilly, now they’re not even a team.

Shows how much attention I’ve paid since it wasn’t shown on 10.
The owners decided to “sell” the team back to the IPL. The team was named after the owners, Deccan Chronicle.
So the IPL looked for new venues for a new team, and decided they stay in Hyderabad.
Unfortunately, the new team is also named after its owner. And the records weren’t transferred from DC to SH, therefore it’s essentially a new franchise.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Surprised that Fox have picked it up, but pleased.

Just doesn't seem to rate in this market.

Of course 10 had it years ago.

After the first season or two the IPL wanted some astronomical fee for the rights, even for news channels to show highlights. Consequently no Australian network bought it and it slipped off the radar here. Then we got the BBL to fill the void.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
de Villiers being de Villiers.

Excellent spell by Tye as usual though, not quite enough for his side to win.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Is it me or T20 games have really s**t fielding.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
DavKh0vVAAA3P3_.jpg

mugiwara

Team Captain
Dec 20, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
India
Mi has been very unlucky this season. All three matches went down to last over. 19.5, 19.5, 19.6 !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mugiwara

Team Captain
Dec 20, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
India
This.

Even allowIng for his average form recently, leaving him out for the first two games was fairly dumb.
I don't agree. Punjab has a strong top order. All three local batsmen (Rahul, Nair, Agarwal) are in good touch. Then comes Finch and Yuvi(not in form but local player) And including Gayle who is not in form would be a bad decision when top three local batsmen are in such a good form. Since Stoinis wasn't doing much, they somehow adjusted Gayle in the top order and it worked out well in the end. If it's his day, he can be a nightmare but if it isn't, he will waste lot of balls and gets dismissed cheaply. Have witnessed lot of that when he was with RCB. (Gayle had 122 SR in 9 games in the last season. Narine had SR of 172 in 16 games) In recent times, his worst days has more ocurrence than his good days.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't agree. Punjab has a strong top order. All three local batsmen (Rahul, Nair, Agarwal) are in good touch. Then comes Finch and Yuvi(not in form but local player) And including Gayle who is not in form would be a bad decision when top three local batsmen are in such a good form. Since Stoinis wasn't doing much, they somehow adjusted Gayle in the top order and it worked out well in the end. If it's his day, he can be a nightmare but if it isn't, he will waste lot of balls and gets dismissed cheaply. Have witnessed lot of that when he was with RCB. (Gayle had 122 SR in 9 games in the last season. Narine had SR of 172 in 16 games) In recent times, his worst days has more ocurrence than his good days.

He also hit two centuries in the Bangladesh super league, the last T20 tournament he played. And was player of the series.
The guy is unarguably the best domestic T20 batsman and probably player in the format’s history. You play him and then drop him, not the other way round.

mugiwara

Team Captain
Dec 20, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
India
He also hit two centuries in the Bangladesh super league, the last T20 tournament he played. And was player of the series.
The guy is unarguably the best domestic T20 batsman and probably player in the format’s history. You play him and then drop him, not the other way round.
He is a beast in this format, no arguments there.
1- Punjab did not needed his service as they have solid players in top 3 who are locals. Add yuvi and that's top 4.
2- And in recent qualifications, he played well only in one match if I remember correctly. Agreed format is different but player of his caliber should have played much better than what was displayed.
3- Punjab need a good middle order batsmen as their top order is well settled. They chose 2 of Miller, Finch and Stoinis. And then they chose 2 overseas bowlers which was obvious decision and hence there was literally no place for Gayle. So my point is, it was not a dumb decision to drop him.

Only when Finch came, they preferred him over Miller and Stoinis didn't bowl in 2 matches he played and hence they chose Gayle and moved everyone one place down which worked out well in the end.

Finch was an excellent buy until they bought Gayle last minute.

If you saw th auction Preity Zinta was going hard and fast early trying to buy players. The excitement on her face when she thought she had bought her players to then her expression when the RTM card was used.

So it’s no surprise that she would go after Gayle after he went unsold the first time for cheap money.

Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
I'm staggered how many miss hits are going for 6. How good must these bats be today. I don't reckon Lynn has middled many yet.

We will never be able to see how the old timer would have fared with these current bats but it would be good to see a game somewhere where only old bats are used.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm staggered how many miss hits are going for 6. How good must these bats be today. I don't reckon Lynn has middled many yet.

We will never be able to see how the old timer would have fared with these current bats but it would be good to see a game somewhere where only old bats are used.
Grounds quite a bit smaller on average over there, especially that Chinnaswammy.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What i wouldn’t give to have each of Lewis, Gayle, Bravo, Russell and Narine all playing in the World Cup.

We should have Gayle and Lewis, we MAY have Russell. That should give us enough firepower to cause a few upsets. But having all 5 would really give us a chance to do some damage.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
He is a beast in this format, no arguments there.
1- Punjab did not needed his service as they have solid players in top 3 who are locals. Add yuvi and that's top 4.
2- And in recent qualifications, he played well only in one match if I remember correctly. Agreed format is different but player of his caliber should have played much better than what was displayed.
3- Punjab need a good middle order batsmen as their top order is well settled. They chose 2 of Miller, Finch and Stoinis. And then they chose 2 overseas bowlers which was obvious decision and hence there was literally no place for Gayle. So my point is, it was not a dumb decision to drop him.

Only when Finch came, they preferred him over Miller and Stoinis didn't bowl in 2 matches he played and hence they chose Gayle and moved everyone one place down which worked out well in the end.
IMO

Gayle > Miller > Stoinis > Finch > 200 year old yuvi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back