Remove this Banner Ad

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
Hernan Crespo netted the most in the auction

It seems like the Indians want to become more prominent in the global football stage by throwing cash left right and centre for old has-been veterans designed to prop up their mediocre local leagues

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/30/hernan-crespo-indian-football-league

Unlike the cricket I really dont think the Indian Soccer competition will be as big a roaring success

They have the money and the population to grow a decent domestic league there. I think there is something in it, although it will take a long time. The names aren't current stars, but no current stars would go there so they have to start somewhere. A lot easier to get someone to a game if Crespo is involved then if it is just locals. A-League has worked on a similar recruiting plan at times, getting players 30+ who used to be guns (Fowler, Juninho, Yorke, Bridges, Carbone plus a handful of current and past Socceroos), with varying degrees of success.

I think it is their only option. Regardless of whether they still have the abilities they used to or not they are still big drawing cards that will get bums on seats. From all reports there is a strong following for football in India and some impressive talent in the youth ranks. Liverpool are looking at opening a youth academy over there I believe as well as Man U stepping up their presence over there. There is a lot of money in India, as well as a large population from which to draw spectators and future players.

If it proves as popular as they believe it will be then I think as the next few seasons go by we will see more and more 'names' head there, albeit retired or 'falling' stars. They will always struggle to attract current stars, though. If they wanted to attract bigger stars their best chance would be to hold the tournament during the off-season. They would probably still struggle to get European players there so maybe the Brazilian/USA off-season. Hold the tournament in January-March and loan players from the MLS and Brasileirao (among other leagues). Just a thought.

I still feel this tournament, whilst it will probably lack the quality, will still attract the numbers.

The issue is:

how this is going to impact the J-League, K-League and the A-League :mad:

The key was the A-League was doing well landing marquee players

Now with the Indians throwing money at players who we thought were potential A-League pickups (Pires) it will take the gloss of the A-League off as a league for guest appearances and players like Pires all bringing their skills (granted aged) to raise the standard of the A-League

Probably worth noting that the new comp takes place only in West Bengal, which is already a soccer stronghold. Preaching to the converted really.

If they keep the current format for the following versions of the league then it might not effect us so much. In fact I think it could possibly work in our favour. Their league starts about 4 weeks before the end of our regular season. If players like Pires, etc, are without a club then it may be easier to convince them to come to this part of the world in a sort of Australasian 'tour'. Signing a contract with an A-League club for the first 20 weeks then moving on to the Indian League. Fair enough it would mean they miss out on the business end of the season here, but it may mean we get names that would have otherwise not entertained the idea of coming here. We couldn't offer the dollars that India are, but for a contract worth about half as much it is still a lot of money for a player without a club to spend 6 months on the beaches of Sydney, etc.

As for the Indian League focussing on the West Bengal area I think they are just starting there knowing it will be a success. No doubt there will be a big broadcast contract taking it all over India and pumping it up with a view for games in other areas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back