Indian Tour vent thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've barely seen anyone call Kholi a cheat here....

Clearly the point is that Smith gets away scot-free for his transgressions while Kohli gets battered from pillar to post for his behaviour.

It's quite amazing how Smith hasn't faced more criticism for his actions in this series. For all the criticism Kohli is getting at least he didn't blatantly cheat, and then ironically accused someone else of cheating without any justification.

It seems like it's all OK because he apologised and because it was during the game/on the field. Not sure who made the rules on that one and why everyone else needs to abide by it. In any case I doubt it's the last time we'll see Smith act out when things aren't going his team's way in a test match. He gets frustrated quite easily.

Last edited:
I don't mind Gaz but I have a hard time getting past the one knee appeals and cursory turn/glance at the keeper or teammates as if to say 'it was out, umpire just got it wrong.' Dunno why because ost bowlers have an appeal nuance.

I like Maxwell. I know I'm probably in the minority.
You must ******* hate Jadeja then

Clearly the point is that Smith gets away scot-free for his transgressions while Kohli gets battered from pillar to post for his behaviour.

It's quite amazing how Smith hasn't faced more criticism for his actions in this series. For all the criticism Kohli is getting at least he didn't blatantly cheat, and then ironically accused someone else of cheating without any justification.

It seems like it's all OK because he apologised and because it was during the game/on the field. Not sure who made the rules on that one and why everyone else needs to abide by it. In any case I doubt it's the last time we'll see Smith act out when things aren't going his team's way in a test match. He gets frustrated quite easily.
Smith got away scot free?

Kohli may have got a little more criticism because he has been utterly useless as a cricketer in the series while Smith has been brilliant.

From what I know Smith was caught on camera mouthing the word cheat wasn't he? It wasn't an accusation it was the frustration of the moment being let out and was caught on camera. He didn't take it to the media. A rather different scenario I would've thought. I wonder why Sunil Gavaskar said he respected Smith more after his apology... almost as if showing some regret for heat of the moment actions actually is different to continuously antagonising and then complaining about everyone else stepping over the line.

I think there are a few reasons why Smith has gotten a fair bit of levity with his transgressions:

1. The Aussies winning the first test against all odds in such dominant fashion made them turn into a feel good story with endless positivity. The fact they defeated the behemoths of the subcontinent at home gave them heaps of adulation.

2. Smith leading from the front with the bat and entering the second test with his hundred in the second innings in Pune turned him into a hero like figure, particularly given the challenging nature of the pitch.

3. Kohli, the captain of India who is known to not shy away from a confrontation, was easy to cast as the villain.

Therefore, despite his 'brainfade' in the second test and what he said about Vijay in the fourth test, these things get minimalised as the media, well the Australian media, know it is easier to push the 'us versus Kohli' narrative rather than criticise our hero Steve.

The first test was played with really good spirit between both the teams and so was the first day of the second test. It was only the fear of losing the series at that stage that made kohli come out and start being an antagonistic little &@$? from then on for the rest of the series. He instigated the heated behaviour and then went sooking after each match to take focus away from his own failings

kerry o'keefe reported on the back page that after the test the aussie side wanted to get together with the indians and have a few beers and get over the series rahane was happy to do it but kohli told smith and the aussies to * off. such an arrogant flog. grabs a stump pushes the acting skipper out of the presser did nothing all series and acts like he is bradman. kohli you aint fit enough to lace smith's boots let alone the dons

Probably because you are on bigfooty and not indiancricketfans.

He didn't volunteer any claims - he was asked an extremely specific leading question, and answered it honestly. Tabloids promptly took his answer and had some fun with it. Besides, neither of us know what was said and done by the players on the field - I get it, that the Aussie view is that anything goes, and can be said on the field, and it should just be left there. But reality is that Indians are not Australians, and cultural norms are not the same everywhere. Indians will not take the same view if you "cross the line" in sledging - i.e. bring family into it, etc.

is it an indian cultural norm to sledge in a language that the other team dont understand? how on earth are the opposition supposed to know if the line has been crossed if the other team are too pissweak to say something to a person in a language they can understand. sub continental teams have been doing it for years and are the first to complain about opposition sledging.

i sure hope that the indian cricket board dont own their broadcaster and therefore would never release audio making other teams look bad while not releasing anything that shows them sledging in hindi so people can work out what theyre saying.

Don't really see how its different to any other place.

Nah, you don't see Smith getting the same type of attention anywhere else. The Australian media at least - and it's reflected on here - focused just as much on Kohli as they did the cricket, when you could easily argue Smith was more in the wrong with his behaviour, not to mention overt.

This is fine, and I wouldn't expect anything different on Bigfooty, just making an observation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, you don't see Smith getting the same type of attention anywhere else. The Australian media at least - and it's reflected on here - focused just as much on Kohli as they did the cricket, when you could easily argue Smith was more in the wrong with his behaviour, not to mention overt.

And guess what - every other teams media and fans do that.

See how many fans from other countries think of Ponting.
Go to Indian forums and bring up the 2008 series.

Kohli also brought things on himself by being highly antagonistic and also failing this series.

This is fine, and I wouldn't expect anything different on Bigfooty, just making an observation.
It'd be easier to take your complaints about favouritism seriously if you weren't massively one-eyed yourself.

If you go to lets say Indian forums people pretend that Indian cricketers are poor innocent angels in every single altercation and anyone who doesn't fit that is lauded for "standing up to those Aussies".

If you go to Pakistani forums, Ajmal getting banned and the lack of tours of Pakistan is a BCCI conspiracy.

Or go to football - Eagles fans generally think Vickery is a weak dog while Richmond fans thought that Cox deserved it for staging and for sly digs throughout the whole match.

The thing with Kohli this series is not that he called Smith a cheat for that one of thing - pretty much everyone recognises that Smith ****ed up massively there but without any evidence he extended that claim to say that it was happening multiple times and even when the BCCI wanted Smith charge they didn't even press charges for these alleged other incidents.

If you're going to make a big claim you need evidence to back it up and if you're going to be antagonistic (like many players have been in the past - often Australian) you want to back it up on the field rather than scoring less runs than Mitch Marsh in more tests.

is it an indian cultural norm to sledge in a language that the other team dont understand? how on earth are the opposition supposed to know if the line has been crossed if the other team are too pissweak to say something to a person in a language they can understand. sub continental teams have been doing it for years and are the first to complain about opposition sledging.

i sure hope that the indian cricket board dont own their broadcaster and therefore would never release audio making other teams look bad while not releasing anything that shows them sledging in hindi so people can work out what theyre saying.

So do the Aussies have to learn the languages of all the players they come up against from other nations who may not speak English or may not understand the terms they're using?

Under what f***ed up system is everyone suddenly required to speak in the same language?

The Australian media have certainly focused on Kohli just as much or even more than the actual cricket. A lot of it is clickbait garbage.

Kohli's staunch stance on certain issues at press conferences is admirable in my opinion. I guarantee if Smith conducted himself similarly, his approach would be applauded by the Australian media.

What needs to be remembered is journos use their platforms to express their real thoughts through the guise of a formally presented article or discussion. The professionalism in the delivery is used to disguise their underlying feelings. Fox Sports are the most overt.

Brad Haddin's piece on Kohli versus Rahane's captaincy is one example.

Even watching Gerard Whateley on Offsiders on Sunday, who is one of the more impartial media types, you could see his bias in how he tried to steer the discussion. The panel to their credit were more or less impartial.

So do the Aussies have to learn the languages of all the players they come up against from other nations who may not speak English or may not understand the terms they're using?

Under what f***ed up system is everyone suddenly required to speak in the same language?
Actually yes they should all speak the same language, or at least every comment made on field should be interpreted.
How doe's anyone know that what is being said in Hindu, or Afrikaans etc. isn't racist, sexist etc etc??

You'll be an apologist for the Indians and others countries like you always are. But how is it any different racially vilifying someone in Hindu compared to English?

Smith apologised right?
What do you want him to do now?

Kohli is an a-hole..............

i didnt say anything like that at all. i said dont complain about what is said on the field if youre going to sledge in a language your opponents dont understand.

Actually yes they should all speak the same language, or at least every comment made on field should be interpreted.
How doe's anyone know that what is being said in Hindu, or Afrikaans etc. isn't racist, sexist etc etc??

You'll be an apologist for the Indians and others countries like you always are. But how is it any different racially vilifying someone in Hindu compared to English?

Let me get this straight.

You think everyone should speak the same
language in case somebody is racially vilified.

So when I go to France later this year, i should HAVE to learn French just in case the locals think I'm vilifying them.

How do I know the blokes in the local cricket side Im playing against don't have a made-up word for a fat white c*nt with an indigenous wife and kids that I can't understand when I take guard?

If you think this has anything to do with being an apologist for Indians or people from anywhere, you're more wasted between the ears than I could have ever imagined.

i didnt say anything like that at all. i said dont complain about what is said on the field if youre going to sledge in a language your opponents dont understand.

I may have missed something earlier in the thread here but aside from Rohit Sharma at the MCG a few years ago - who even then was basically responding to someone interrupting him during a mid-pitch conversation - when has this been an issue?

You are wasting your time trying to have a mature discussion with PhatBoy.
When he's run out of things to say, he'll start to call you names, and swear, it's how he rolls..................

Remove this Banner Ad

Back