ATP/WTA Indian Wells and Miami

Remove this Banner Ad

I havent heard much about Thiem since the AUstralian Open, I think he was struggling with injury. It's good to see him make the Indian Wells final.
He was. He retired in the 2nd round with some complaint and I remember him taking some time off for it IIRC

As for Andreescu. What a year she is having. only 18. Even makes Osaka look old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredible victory by Andreescu. Scary that 2000s kids are already achieving, and this victory came from nowhere. Funnily enough, Madison Avenue's Who the Hell Are You? debuted at no.1 in Australia the week that she was born.

Thiem had a fairly soft run to a Masters final, I wouldn't read to much into it just yet.

Incredible victory by Andreescu. Scary that 2000s kids are already achieving, and this victory came from nowhere. Funnily enough, Madison Avenue's Who the Hell Are You? debuted at no.1 in Australia the week that she was born.

Thiem had a fairly soft run to a Masters final, I wouldn't read to much into it just yet.
Federer's run to the final has also been soft with a walkover.

Thiem still had to beat Milos in a tight 3 setter.

Federer's run to the final has also been soft with a walkover.

Thiem still had to beat Milos in a tight 3 setter.
I was about to mention Federer's slightly better activity of late (Dubai and AO R4), meaning his final run is more expected, but yeah, fair call.

Fed's only top 10 player wins since Feb 2018 Rotterdam were in RR at the Finals last November. His ability to get through a draw and then take out a quality opponent might be fading.

Well done to Thiem, fantastic company to be in as well. Ljubicic is the only non-slam finalist to have won it since 1986, and he was a #3 in the world (who turned back the clock and took out Djokovic & Nadal on his way to the title).

There is growing discussion that at big events a "lucky loser" should advance in the case of a walkover.

I'm willing to consider it. It's a problem at majors as losing players would have to possibly wait up to two days for a match they will most likely not play. Hence I can't see it happening. But if it did, Kohlschreiber and Khachanov should not be rewarded with extra prize money or points UNLESS they win and advance to the following round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back