Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
On a more positive note, Barty and Azarenka knocked off the top seeds in Miami women's doubles already.
Bit of revenge as they beat Barty & Garcia last week in IW first round.
Plus Goerges & Halep beat the second seeds Babos & Kiki. Rare event to see Halep playing doubles.
With top two seeds out opens up the draw.
Barty won here last year with Coco so has 1000 points to defend.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Ferrer!

"First top 3 win in over five years" according to the highlights commentator.

Delighted by the big scalp for Thompson, and Hsieh has been making a regular habit of this over the last 18 months, she seems to have the capacity for a big seed upset at a lot of events.

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Maybe the drama with the ex coach is messing her up.
I think it's been pretty obvious for quite a while that Naomi has some personal issues. Sacking the coach was probably a step in the right direction but I think she has a long way to go to get her mind and off-court issues right. Pretty certain that Naomi will not be the #1 seed at Roland Garros.

That said, Hseish is not an easy match-up.

Last edited:

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Barty will overtake Serena and at least temporarily enter the top 10 if she can beat Kiki Bertens.

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Expecting a R16 match-up of Serena Williams v Danielle Collins, except that Serena withdrew and Collins lost, so now we have:

Q. WANG v Y. WANG

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Osaka just wasnt ready to be number 1 in the world and being the hunted i feel.

In saying that, the whole drama off-field is probably more of a cause. Think she will still be number 1 at the French since she doesn't have anything to defend really. Only Kvitova could overtake her i feel, as Halep has a lot of points to defend.

so, Osaka has time to sort it out.

Someone who doesnt is Stephens. Not a good start to the year. Kasatkina is also a huge worry. hasnt won a match against a top 100 player this year.

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Kasatkina is also a huge worry. hasn't won a match against a top 100 player this year.
In her loss to Venus 6-3, 6-1, she never held serve once. Four games she won were breaks of Venus' serve. At best you can say her first serve is adequate, her second serve just waiting to returned with interest.
To me, she looked very underdone at the start of the year as if she had not put the work in over the off-season. Might be difficult for her to turn it around.

Players should do it more. It's a legitimate tactic.

Doesn't change the beat down he gave lajovic anyways. Coric could give him a few more issues but we'll see

Love how offended people get by it, if you want to stand with the crowd to receive serve, you leave yourself open for it.
It’s smart and puts doubt in the opponents mind, many already struggle with his serve and it puts more questions in their head when they play him.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Love how offended people get by it, if you want to stand with the crowd to receive serve, you leave yourself open for it.
It’s smart and puts doubt in the opponents mind, many already struggle with his serve and it puts more questions in their head when they play him.
yep. Look how far back lajovic is on the above clip. all he could do was drop it back over the net and Nick had the easy passing shot. Perfect.

I am so on the fence with Nick. I don't mind his combativeness(he had a fight with a 50-year-old fan who was booing today), just wish he didn't throw in those matches where he doesn't care.

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Isn't it almost certain that let serves will be abolished one day, it will just be play on?

If so, that would make underarm serves even more dangerous for the receiver.

Thompson winning 3 matches in a row at a masters 1000 is lol but good on him. Great week for him. Anderson is next for him

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Solid Miami tournament all things considered. What a run from Thompson. Barty and Hsieh might be on the verge of career high rankings. Still lots of young men with a sprinkling of legends in the draw. Kyrgios is still in there. Halep and Kvitova can reach no.1. The Ferrer scalp. Enjoying this much more than IW.

Back