ATP/WTA Indian Wells and Miami

Remove this Banner Ad

^ probably play for another 10 years :tongueclosed:

Oldest player to make an ATP event singles final: *Marty Riessen (37y 280d, 1979 Lafayette Open)
Oldest player to win an ATP event singles final: *Marty Riessen (37y 280d, 1979 Lafayette Open)
Oldest player to win a slam singles final: Ken Rosewall (37y 63d, 1972 Australian Open)
Oldest player to make a slam singles final: Ken Rosewall (37y 314d, 1972 US Open)

Federer will be 37y 306d if he makes the French Open final (37y 341d at Wimbledon, 38y 32d at the US Open)

* Not sure, I'm still looking, might be Ken Rosewall at Hong Kong, 1977

Last edited:
^ probably play for another 10 years :tongueclosed:

Oldest player to make an ATP event singles final: *Marty Riessen (37y 280d, 1979 Lafayette Open)
Oldest player to win an ATP event singles final: *Marty Riessen (37y 280d, 1979 Lafayette Open)
Oldest player to win a slam singles final: Ken Rosewall (37y 63d, 1972 Australian Open)
Oldest player to make a slam singles final: Ken Rosewall (37y 314d, 1972 US Open)

Federer will be 37y 306d if he makes the French Open final (37y 341d at Wimbledon, 38y 32d at the US Open)

* I know this is no longer the record, I'm still looking
I imagine Karlovic now holds those oldest records, was almost 40 when he last made an ATP final (Pune 2019 - formerly Chennai).

Federer on the cusp of an IW/Miami final double in 2019 is deeply commendable. I just have that sneaking fear that Isner is going to b2b.

If Raonic, Bouchard, Shapovalov, FAA and Andreescu all collectively retired without a slam, you would have to be very disappointed as a Canadian. At least the French can rely on a regular supply of players to appease their hoodoo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Federer becomes the first ATP-era player to make 50 Masters finals (Nadal is sitting on 49). His first was at Miami 17 years ago.

His run to the final that year:
R2 - 64 76 (Morrison - USA Qualifier)
R3 - 64 61 (Portas - the notorious one-Masters-wonder)
R4 - 62 R (Henman)
QF - 61 61 (Pavel)
SF - 63 64 (Hewitt)
F - 36 36 63 46 (Agassi)

He won his other 2 singles finals over Agassi (2003 YEC & 2005 USO).

Isner now with his 5th Masters final (all on hard) is also a commendable effort. Del Potro, Wawrinka, Berdych, Tsonga & Nishikori have only made 4 finals each. Monfils, Gasquet, Raonic & Thiem next best on 3. With Ferrer's (7) retirement only 2 Masters tournaments away, Isner along with Zverev (already on 5 from 2017-18 alone) might have the most among active players behind the big4 (subject to Monte Carlo/Madrid finalist configurations). Also takes him past the 4 MS finals of Mardy Fish, further underlining his credentials as the second best American male since Roddick.

Last edited:
Disappointing that neither teen made the final. Would have been the youngest final for an event of this stature.

And I see that Barty lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back