Teams Indianapolis Colts - Unitas We Stand ™

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand them being a little worried about WR with TY being a FA next great and Andre only having a year or two left but that's nothing compared to safety where Adams who's 34 and I have literally no idea who else
And Landon Collins still on the board…

Couldn't be more dissaponted atm. This guy could HOF wouldnt matter. Our D is horrible. Our D line incapable of stopping the run. This pick may be a classic case of best player available, but we are a team with to many needs to tske this approach. We have a one to two year window. And i think this pick might have blown it.

This pick may be a classic case of best player available, but we are a team with to many needs to tske this approach. We have a one to two year window. And i think this pick might have blown it.
Not sure I agree with a 1-2 year window. Brady/Manning etc have shown that the window is always open with an elite QB, just need the right pieces.

That said, a baffling decision. There is no need to go BPA when you're picking at 29 and the best safety is still on the board.

Not sure I agree with a 1-2 year window. Brady/Manning etc have shown that the window is always open with an elite QB, just need the right pieces.

That said, a baffling decision. There is no need to go BPA when you're picking at 29 and the best safety is still on the board.
Window doesn't close then, but we start paying Luck about 20 million more which makes it much harder.

Window doesn't close then, but we start paying Luck about 20 million more which makes it much harder.
Yeah its more that we only have Luck on the lower contract for two more years, means we wil have Cap casualty, can see TY, Allen and Fleener all moving on for more money. Makes the WR pick more reasonable, but i still dont like it, i think with a of good rooks we could still give the next couple years a real shake, as it stand we still might, and i will be offering apologys for my criticism. But atm i just see the need of this pick.

Yeah its more that we only have Luck on the lower contract for two more years, means we wil have Cap casualty, can see TY, Allen and Fleener all moving on for more money. Makes the WR pick more reasonable, but i still dont like it, i think with a of good rooks we could still give the next couple years a real shake, as it stand we still might, and i will be offering apologys for my criticism. But atm i just see the need of this pick.
With Reggie retiring, Mathis joining him soon you think and blokes like Cherilus and Walden coming towards the end of their deal, we should be able to keep 2 of them I reckon, and I couldn't care less if we lost Fleener anyway. Stops Grigson throwing around the huge contracts in FA that he enjoys giving to average players, but don't think there'd be a huge exodus of blokes we already have.

I'm not particularly worried about paying Luck. Other teams pay their star QB's and still make it work. That said, we obviously do have a fantastic opportunity whilst he's still on his rookie deal, I'm not debating that.

I concur with Fleener. Luck loves him (obviously played at Stanford together), but Allen is the more complete player IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some Colts players not happy with decision to draft Dorsett
Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
dorsett.jpg
Getty Images
The folks running the football operations in Indy are getting public pressure from above. They’re also getting private pressure from below.

Per a league source, multiple Colts players aren’t happy with the team’s draft strategy, specifically with the decision to use a first-round pick on receiver Phillip Dorsett.

The thinking is that the Colts should have taken a safety like Landon Collins or a tackle (defensive or offensive) with the 29th overall pick in the draft. A receiver could have been taken later than round one, and he would have arrived with less of a presumption that: (1) he’ll be on the field; and (2) he’ll have the ball thrown his way plenty.

With receiver T.Y. Hilton, tight end Coby Fleener, and tight end Dwayne Allenentering contract years and 2014 rookieDonte Moncrief coming into his own and veteran Andre Johnson trying to prove the Texans wrong and the Colts intent on developing a running game, the Colts don’t currently need another pass catcher with a pedigree that implies he’ll be a contributor, right out of the gates.

Over time, the Colts could be vindicated for sticking to their draft board; Dorsett could become the next Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne. For 2015, however, he won’t do much to narrow the 38-point gap between the Colts and the Patriots.

With all NFL teams looking to win now and with a head coach in a contract year, the decision to load up on a position of strength at the expense of plenty of positions of weakness seems very confusing to those on the outside — and to some of those on the inside.

Some Colts players not happy with decision to draft Dorsett
Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
dorsett.jpg
Getty Images
The folks running the football operations in Indy are getting public pressure from above. They’re also getting private pressure from below.

Per a league source, multiple Colts players aren’t happy with the team’s draft strategy, specifically with the decision to use a first-round pick on receiver Phillip Dorsett.

The thinking is that the Colts should have taken a safety like Landon Collins or a tackle (defensive or offensive) with the 29th overall pick in the draft. A receiver could have been taken later than round one, and he would have arrived with less of a presumption that: (1) he’ll be on the field; and (2) he’ll have the ball thrown his way plenty.

With receiver T.Y. Hilton, tight end Coby Fleener, and tight end Dwayne Allenentering contract years and 2014 rookieDonte Moncrief coming into his own and veteran Andre Johnson trying to prove the Texans wrong and the Colts intent on developing a running game, the Colts don’t currently need another pass catcher with a pedigree that implies he’ll be a contributor, right out of the gates.

Over time, the Colts could be vindicated for sticking to their draft board; Dorsett could become the next Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne. For 2015, however, he won’t do much to narrow the 38-point gap between the Colts and the Patriots.

With all NFL teams looking to win now and with a head coach in a contract year, the decision to load up on a position of strength at the expense of plenty of positions of weakness seems very confusing to those on the outside — and to some of those on the inside.
I've calmed down now, in hindsight it wasn't the worst pick, it just didn't suite our needs at the time, * any player who thinks he is above the team, earn your spot or go somewhere else, looks like Dorsett will be a return guy this year and take either TY's spot if he becomes a cap casualty or AJ in two or three years, the rest of the draft was real solid, loved the picks in the 2nd onwards.

The Colts have moved Bjoern Werner from rush linebacker to strong-side linebacker.

As expected. He's now Erik Walden's backup and won't come close to playing the 825 snaps he was in on last season. Werner, the 24th overall pick in 2013, managed a mere 18 quarterback hurries in 2014. His main job at strong-side linebacker will be to stop the run. Werner has two years left on his contract.

Source: ESPN.com

The Colts have moved Bjoern Werner from rush linebacker to strong-side linebacker.

As expected. He's now Erik Walden's backup and won't come close to playing the 825 snaps he was in on last season. Werner, the 24th overall pick in 2013, managed a mere 18 quarterback hurries in 2014. His main job at strong-side linebacker will be to stop the run. Werner has two years left on his contract.

Source: ESPN.com
Yup, looks a decent strong side player, just not worth a first round pick.

Colts signed T.Y. Hilton to a five-year, $65 million contract extension that includes $39 million guaranteed.

Hilton was set to make $665,000 this season, the final year of the contract he signed as a third-round rookie in 2012. Now he's signed for the next six years at an average annual salary that comes in around $10.8M per season, well below the Dez Bryant/Demaryius Thomas deals but in line with recent contracts signed by Randall Cobb and Jeremy Maclin. The Colts, who still need to sign Andrew Luck and LT Anthony Castonzo, apparently see no problem with Hilton and his clone Phillip Dorsett playing together. Those two undersized speedsters plus Donte Moncrief will be Luck's receiving corps once 34-year-old Andre Johnson moves along.

Source: Kevin Bowen on Twitter

Well the cap squeeze is gunna start soon, Castanzo gotta get paid and then Luck, thing gunna get tight pretty soon.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports there is "consistent chatter" in league circles about tension between Colts coach Chuck Pagano and GM Ryan Grigson.

Pagano is headed into a contract year, while Grigson is signed through 2016. Per La Canfora, the team has offered Pagano only a "modest" one-year deal. Anything less than Super Bowl appearance this season could earn Pagano his walking papers.

Source: CBS Sports

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports there is "consistent chatter" in league circles about tension between Colts coach Chuck Pagano and GM Ryan Grigson.

Pagano is headed into a contract year, while Grigson is signed through 2016. Per La Canfora, the team has offered Pagano only a "modest" one-year deal. Anything less than Super Bowl appearance this season could earn Pagano his walking papers.

Source: CBS Sports
Pagano was brought in as a defence coach, so far our defence sucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back