Teams Indianapolis Colts - Unitas We Stand ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I believe him.....coaches are campaigners....

--------------

Denzelle Good happy to be with Raiders after things “went sour” with Colts
Posted by Josh Alper on December 28, 2018, 9:55 AM EST

GettyImages-847174382-e1546008903794.jpg

Getty Images

Denzelle Good has started at right guard for the Raiders the last two weeks after joining the team as a waiver claim in early December and he’s happy about the “fresh start” he’s gotten after asking the Colts to release him.

Good was not unhappy to open the year in Indianapolis and started for the team at right tackle in Week Four. That game was played on September 30 and Good learned that his brother had been killed in a drive-by shooting on October 2, which led him to leave the team for a week to be with his family.

Good told Vic Tafur of The Athletic that things “went sour” with Colts offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo at that point. Good said it “was hard to just get back to my normal self” and that created problems with his position coach, who Good says called him a “failure.”

“I came back after my brother was murdered and I was dealing with a lot of personal issues,” Good said. “That didn’t sit well with [DeGuglielmo]. He wanted players that fight through things and play. He told me that as long as I was there, I would never play for him again. I would never play another down because he felt disrespected. I wasn’t going to play even though I felt I was as good as anyone on the field playing.”

The Colts issued a statement when asked for a comment on Good’s account of how things unfolded.

“We’re sorry Denzelle feels that way. The team was supportive of him during his brother’s tragic death. We wish Denzelle the best.”

Good is set for free agency in the offseason and said that he hopes to remain with the Raiders.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Colts rookies LG Quenton Nelson and MLB Darius Leonard are the first pair of rookie first-team All-Pro selections since 1965.

In 1965, Bears rookies Dick Butkus and Gayle Sayers were selected to the first team. As you know, both went to the Hall of Fame. Nelson and Leonard have a long way to go to achieve that, but GM Chris Ballard knocked his first two 2018 draft picks out of the park. Nelson has manhandled grown men defensive linemen and linebackers as a blocker all year long and has a nasty mean streak to his game. Meanwhile, Leonard is the only player in league history to achieve at least 160 tackles, seven sacks, and two interceptions in a season. He should win Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Related: Darius Leonard

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Frank Reich: We learned some things this year that will stick with us

Posted by Josh Alper on January 12, 2019, 8:15 PM EST

ap_19013028653933-e1547342114496.jpg

AP

The Colts pulled off a remarkable comeback to beat the Chiefs the last time they met in the playoffs with Andrew Luck at quarterback, but neither Luck nor Colts head coach and playoff comeback royalty Frank Reich could find a way back at Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday.

The Chiefs went up 17-0 in the first half and wound up 31-13 winners at the final whistle. That ended a Colts season that saw low preseason expectations look accurate when the team went 1-5 to open the year. They’d only lose one more game over the rest of the regular season, however, and Reich said after the game that he was “proud of the journey” his team took this season.

Reich said the team learned things “that will stick with us” along the way and they found strong foundational pieces in rookie guard Quenton Nelson and linebacker Darius Leonard to go with a resurgent Andrew Luck. Those things fell short on Saturday with Reich saying the Chiefs outplayed and outcoached his team across the board.

With nine more draft picks and voluminous cap space this offseason, the hope in Indianapolis is that the lessons of this year will lead to an even longer journey next time.

Nov 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers/Rockies/Colts/West Ham
Saw something similar to this on Facebook.

> Ballard takes job and explains his method of rebuilding the team.
> Colts fans agree.
> Colts fans complain when Ballard does exactly what he said he'd do.
> Ballard's team goes 10-6 and wins a playoff game.
> Colts fans agree that Ballard's method is the right one.
> Ballard continues to use his successful method when it comes to building the roster.
> Colts fans begin to complain again.

This is going to be a yearly thing in Indianapolis.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Despite leading the league in cap space, Colts stay thrifty in free agency

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 16, 2019, 7:03 AM EDT

gettyimages-917916320-e1552734215944.jpg

Getty Images

Heading into free agency, the Colts had the most cap space in the NFL, but General Manager Chris Ballard said he wouldn’t spend the money just because he had it. And he meant it.

After a flurry of moves across the NFL this week, the Colts still have by far the most cap space in the NFL. Calculating each team’s precise cap number can be a little tricky, but estimates are that the Colts currently have about $75 million to $77 million in cap space, the most in the league by more than $20 million.

Ballard made clear from the outset that he’s looking to build a team, and not a collection of stars, and that’s why he’s not spending a lot of money out of the gates in free agency.

We have a very strict criterion of what we want to bring in,” Ballard said. “We want players that want to get better, want to be great, want to be a part of the team, that are willing to sacrifice sometimes their individual stats for the betterment of winning and being a good teammate. If they fit into that criterion, absolutely they’ll fit in.”

Aside from signing wide receiver Devin Funchess, the Colts have prioritized extending their own players, including cornerback Pierre Desir and special teamer Chris Milton. Ballard is likely looking at spending some more money to extend some of the Colts’ players who become free agents after the 2019 season, including left tackle Anthony Costanzo, tight end Eric Ebron and linebacker Jabaal Sheard. The Colts showed last season that they have the nucleus of a good team, and they don’t think they need any big changes.

Nov 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers/Rockies/Colts/West Ham
All too early predictions.

Week 1 @ Chargers. L probably not to worst time to play them though. 0-1
Week 2 @ Titans. W until these cats beat Luck, this is always a W, 1-1
Week 3 Falcons. W they'll improve, so will we. 2-1
Week 4 Raiders. W they picked up some players, still better than them. 3-1
Week 5 @ Chiefs L i think we can win this, but they torched us in the playoffs. 3-2
BYE
Week 6 Texans L expecting a split with Houston. 3-3
Week 7 Broncos W back on the winners list. 4-3
Week 8 @ Steelers L toughest game to pick on the schedule... they've been a bogey team for the Colts. 4-4
Week 9 Dolphins W any team with playoff ambitions should be beating Miami. 5-4
Week 10 Jaguars W they'll improve but I expect to sweep them this year. 6-4
Week 11 @ Texans W the Colts love NRG Stadium. 7-4
Week 12 Titans W see week. I'd still pick us at home to beat them. 8-4
Week 13 @ Buccaneers W i think the Buccs will improve, could be a real trap game. 9-4
Week 14 @ Saints L winning run comes to a halt... the Saints will be a tough task away. 9-5
Week 15 Panthers W possible trap game... no idea what's going on with Cam. The Colts who win at home. 10-5
Week 16 @ Jaguars W we could be playing for a bye, they could be playing for a wildcard imo. I'm still backing the sweep here. 11-5

So 11-5 for the Colts and the division title, possible first week bye chance though it will be close with the Pats and Chargers/Chiefs.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jim Irsay promises another Colts Super Bowl title

Posted by Josh Alper on April 27, 2019, 6:20 PM EDT

gettyimages-1069299926-e1556403608365.jpg

Getty Images

Colts owner Jim Irsay said earlier this year that his goal is to win three Super Bowls in a row and he made a vow Sunday to get at least a third of the way to realizing that goal.

Irsay didn’t say when the team would win a Super Bowl, but he talked about the “harmony” between General Manager Chris Ballard and head coach Frank Reich giving him “a certainty in my heart” that the Colts will lift another Lombardi Trophy in the years to come.

“It will happen,” Irsay said, via ESPN.com. “I promise you it will. I have never felt so certain about something in my life.”

Ballard and Reich got the Colts to the playoffs in their first year together and the team won a playoff game in Houston before their season came to an end in Kansas City the next week. A great draft class helped propel that team and the Colts added 10 more players to the roster over the last three days that they hope will push them closer to making good on Irsay’s promise.

Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers
Despite leading the league in cap space, Colts stay thrifty in free agency

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 16, 2019, 7:03 AM EDT

gettyimages-917916320-e1552734215944.jpg

Getty Images

Heading into free agency, the Colts had the most cap space in the NFL, but General Manager Chris Ballard said he wouldn’t spend the money just because he had it. And he meant it.

After a flurry of moves across the NFL this week, the Colts still have by far the most cap space in the NFL. Calculating each team’s precise cap number can be a little tricky, but estimates are that the Colts currently have about $75 million to $77 million in cap space, the most in the league by more than $20 million.

Ballard made clear from the outset that he’s looking to build a team, and not a collection of stars, and that’s why he’s not spending a lot of money out of the gates in free agency.

We have a very strict criterion of what we want to bring in,” Ballard said. “We want players that want to get better, want to be great, want to be a part of the team, that are willing to sacrifice sometimes their individual stats for the betterment of winning and being a good teammate. If they fit into that criterion, absolutely they’ll fit in.”

Aside from signing wide receiver Devin Funchess, the Colts have prioritized extending their own players, including cornerback Pierre Desir and special teamer Chris Milton. Ballard is likely looking at spending some more money to extend some of the Colts’ players who become free agents after the 2019 season, including left tackle Anthony Costanzo, tight end Eric Ebron and linebacker Jabaal Sheard. The Colts showed last season that they have the nucleus of a good team, and they don’t think they need any big changes.

Fck me, hardly recognised Reich without the beard, he looks 15 years younger!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Andrew Luck has informed the Colts he is retiring from the NFL.

Per Schefter, Luck is "mentally worn down" and has already informed owner Jim Irsay of his intentions. It's the most stunning NFL news of the decade. Two years removed from a lost season to a shoulder injury, Luck had not practiced all summer as he dealt with a mysterious calf/ankle issue. It is perfectly reasonable to wonder if that was a ruse for a player struggling with his NFL future. Viewed as a once-in-a-decade type prospect when he entered the league out of Stanford in 2012, Luck produced a 2014-15 AFC Championship Game appearance and a pair of 39-touchdown campaigns. He took a massive beating in the process, playing behind shaky offensive lines while being cavalier with his body. Jacoby Brissett will now be under center Week 1. Although he is arguably the best backup in the league, Brissett will likely be a bottom-tier starter.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 24, 2019, 9:30 PM ET

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners
I really feel for Luck - timing is not ideal but you don't want someone taking a spot when they are done.

Who knows how great he could have been- injuries that he has dealt with have been bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back