PC Indie Games

Remove this Banner Ad

The most important part of any game is the gameplay, which Gone Home fails to provide.

It's walk around and click on objects, the puzzles are laughably easy. The story is ok, without being groundbreaking, it's generally mentioned in high regard because it's more indepth then 90% of other games stories.

The fact it's winning awards left right and center due to it's "story" is a joke, if I wanted a good story I'd go read a book.
Not that I'm saying games cannot have a good story, but it shouldn't be the selling point.
But that's the thing with games nowadays. It's not just about gameplay anymore. It's about the experience.

Gaming can now offer stories and experiences that are akin to or even more in-depth than any other media going around. Just saying 'if I wanted a good story I'd go read a book' completely pushes aside the massive strides gaming has taken towards bringing actual good stories into their games in recent times. It's not longer your cliche damsel in distress, go save her and the world situation. There's far more depth, far more exploration of deeper meaning and philosophy now.

I'm not sure what puzzles you're talking about in Gone Home, as far as I'm aware there were none? Unless you're talking about the safe/locker/filing cabinet and finding the codes? If so, I hardly think that was meant to be some sort of challenge.

I found it a decent change up to the usual games going around and it only took up 2 hours of my time. Is it one of the top 10 games of the year for me? No, but would I want to see more games like it? Yes, definitely.
Tell me.... Is Gone Home better than Thirty Flights of Loving? Is Stanley Parable?

The reason why I've avoided both until this point in time is with their laughably short length I don't want to feel like I've put $5+ down the drain for half an hour game.

I ask this having loved Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons which was 3 hours but possibly the best 3-hour game I have ever played (gaming since early 1980's).
Well, I'm confused by your post. Is it better than or is it longer than? Which one do you want to know.

I got through Stanley Parable (ALL of it) in about 2 hours and Gone Home the same. I enjoyed Stanley Parable more as it's a lighter experience than Gone Home in general, plus the multiple endings were great to see and explore. I'd recommend Stanley Parable to just about anyone that loves gaming, it's a fantastic commentary on gaming, very funny and still fun as well.

Gone Home is definitely different to Stanley Parable, it's not as fast paced, requires a lot more input and exploration, but has a good story to go along with all the exploring.

I don't mind a shorter game nowadays. Knowing I can start up a game and finish it before the afternoon is out and still do other s**t is pretty cool when I can still get a good and satisfying experience out of it.

Better question perhaps... Will the game make me feel like I put good money - that I could have bought an equally good game lasting 10+ hours - for not enough ROI? The five minute experience of 30 Flights of Loving soured me on mega short games but if they're purely outstanding experiences then I can compare it to a movie.

Silly question coming from someone with a gaming backlog like mine.

Two hours sounds good though.

But that's the thing with games nowadays. It's not just about gameplay anymore. It's about the experience.

Gaming can now offer stories and experiences that are akin to or even more in-depth than any other media going around. Just saying 'if I wanted a good story I'd go read a book' completely pushes aside the massive strides gaming has taken towards bringing actual good stories into their games in recent times. It's not longer your cliche damsel in distress, go save her and the world situation. There's far more depth, far more exploration of deeper meaning and philosophy now.

I'm not sure what puzzles you're talking about in Gone Home, as far as I'm aware there were none? Unless you're talking about the safe/locker/filing cabinet and finding the codes? If so, I hardly think that was meant to be some sort of challenge.

I found it a decent change up to the usual games going around and it only took up 2 hours of my time. Is it one of the top 10 games of the year for me? No, but would I want to see more games like it? Yes, definitely.

Now I'm not claiming Gone Home is the worst thing ever, as soon as Gameplay as is pushed aside it stops being a game.

You do not need to throw away the gameplay to have a decent story, see Deus Ex, Planetscape Torment, Morrowind, Bastion etc.
The fact is Gone Home isn't really a "game", it's really it's own genre, along with others such as The Stanley Parable and Dear Esther, there is no challenge really, it's simply a way to tell a story, I guess you could group them in with Visual Novels, it shouldn't be winning "Game Of The Year" awards.

Also, on the bolded point, Gone Home's story is barely this, it's about a family and struggles with yourself etc, something movies and literature have been doing for yonks.

Gone Home as a story is ok, not great, not s**t. I'm sure another game of a similar type could better it and possibly make something worth your money, but in my honest opinion it's not worth the money for the 2 hours.

Better question perhaps... Will the game make me feel like I put good money - that I could have bought an equally good game lasting 10+ hours - for not enough ROI? The five minute experience of 30 Flights of Loving soured me on mega short games but if they're purely outstanding experiences then I can compare it to a movie.

Silly question coming from someone with a gaming backlog like mine.

Two hours sounds good though.
As long as you go in to both not expecting a 'gamey game' then I think you'll come out with your monies worth.

I can't really say whether it's worth it over a 10+ hour game, but when you have near 1000 games to get through, maybe the shorter but still satisfying experience is one to start looking at over the many hour games. That's basically how I look at PC games nowadays, grab the one's with less hours needing to put in but still offer up great, fresh and unique experiences. Mainly so I can leave the longer games to console.

Gone Home will be the more divisive of them both, but again, as long as you go in knowing you aren't meant to be playing some with deep mechanics and gameplay variety then you'll like the story that gets told.

Stanley Parable requires you to play most of, if not all of it's endings too, which will require some repetition. But ultimately it's still fun to listen to all the dialogue that was written. Especially when they change it up from what you're used to.

Is Mark of the Ninja any good?

It's alright, it takes a little while to get used to for PC as it was designed for controllers and the port has had no real effort to change it. (even on the PC it says "Press A to start")

It's pretty fun, moves smoothly, worth it if it's under 5.

I wanna be the guy isn't bad. The games really hard and trolls you a bit but it's a rewarding experience when you make progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grabbed Papers, Please last night have to say it's a nice little game. Crack up when people don't look like they do in their passport photo and the reason why is "I had surgery".

Lol. I had a guy draw his own passport and when you question him on it he says something which made me chuckle (I can't remwmber what) and then he's like. "I'll be back tomorrow,".
However
I have a problem where it keeps saying that the passport expirey date is wrong but when I match it to the clock in the corner it says data matches.

Lol. I had a guy draw his own passport and when you question him on it he says something which made me chuckle (I can't remwmber what) and then he's like. "I'll be back tomorrow,".
However
I have a problem where it keeps saying that the passport expirey date is wrong but when I match it to the clock in the corner it says data matches.

Are you reading the date correctly? I believe it defaults to the US MM/DD/YYYY.

Are you reading the date correctly? I believe it defaults to the US MM/DD/YYYY.

Yeah, I thought I was. I double checked one and was 100 percent sure it was right and then I got the ticket for not the right date. Then I went to jail for having a 5 dollar debt. Lol.
It's quite possible I'm getting the numbers confused though.

Just finished up Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. What a terrific little game. Gorgeous look, unique controls that while difficult to get used to, work exactly as intended.

And what a story that ends up being told, I'm amazed at how people can find ways to tell a story without any real spoken dialogue (at least any that is in any actual language). I didn't expect it to get so dark either.

I loved how many things in the game were interactive, going up to anything and seeing if there'd be a reaction from one of the brothers and seeing unique one's for each was great. The little touches in regards to the brothers was very well done too, I particularly liked
how in the boat section, you'd always be turning to the left a bit if you were pushing both sticks up, because the older brother was stronger and therefore the younger brother was making the boat turn. That is incredible attention to detail.

Most of all I think though, I loved the little stories that went on as you go through the main journey with the two brothers that didn't do anything in terms of the brothers story but told wonderful side stories, even if some were more implied as well.
The rabbits, the turtles, the burnt house, the weird tribe, the giants, the frozen people...basically anything that related to the trophies as well.
All of that, not only added in emotion to the story but was all really well told, again without a word of proper dialogue.

And that ending, or end sequence! Wow, did not see any of that coming. The whole set of emotions going off right there.
I was still using the left stick to control even after the brother had died. :(

Gameplay wise, everything worked really well too. The puzzles weren't overly hard but didn't feel stupid or boring or overused. And I thought the controlling of both characters worked really well for what could've been pretty damn annoying.

Starbreeze brought the first game of what proved to be one of my favourite franchises on the PS3 and they ended it on extremely high note with Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Outstanding effort!!

Well written, HBK. Summed it up pretty nicely from me. It's the one game this past year that I've been recommending everyone (so long as they have a controller) so I suppose that makes it my PC game of the year for 2013.. For anyone with Amazon coupons they will be having an absolutely killer deal on the game in the next week or so ($7.50 making it $2.50 with coupon).

Oh god, how could I forget Atom Zombie Smasher?
Honestly some of the most fun I've had, you're in charge of evacuating a city full of people from a zombie apocolypse, as you beat each level you start to unlock weapons to stem the tide etc.

It's really good fun, sometimes having to make the choice whether to sacrifice a group of people in artillery for the good of others.

It's a top-down game and I highly recommend it.

I got Super Hexagon for 59 cents during the holiday sales and if it wasn't so damn cheap I would of raged against it. How anyone can last beyond 10 seconds is beyond me...

Been playing Game Dev Tycoon recently. For those of you who haven't heard of this indie gem, it's a game basically where you are a video game company trying to make it big in the industry. My prison adventure game "Don't Drop the Soap" was a huge hit with critics and fans alike, and I actually made an ET game that didn't suck and spawned multiple sequels and expansions. Highly recommend this game.

Not sure why people complain so much about video games being short. Lots of people, myself included, don't have hours upon hours of free time to play huge games like Skyrim, so it's quite appealing when games like Mass Effect come out that are short but still deep with a great story.

Been playing Game Dev Tycoon recently. For those of you who haven't heard of this indie gem, it's a game basically where you are a video game company trying to make it big in the industry. My prison adventure game "Don't Drop the Soap" was a huge hit with critics and fans alike, and I actually made an ET game that didn't suck and spawned multiple sequels and expansions. Highly recommend this game.

Loved that on Android.

Also is there a Mac version of "Don't Drop the Soap" that I can download? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back