Remove this Banner Ad

Crafted

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
I, for one, love Indie games. There are some games with really great concepts and ideas out there and I thought I would make a thread devoted to Indie games.

What Indie games are you guys playing/recently played?

Starbound is awesome. Similar mechanics to Terraria but it has quests , survival elements like hunger and hypothermia and you can travel to other planets etc.

It's an Early Access game so it's not finished yet and your saves get wiped in the first phase of the beta so I'd probably wait till development moves to phase 2.

Learn more about the game here:

http://playstarbound.com/

Does Peggle count as Indie? I know it's EA, but it's a smallish game.

If not I've just finished Gone Home which is woeful and should not be played by anyone.
The Room is a more intense point and click game, although different in a lot of aspects.

I also finally finished To The Moon which is fantastic and I would highly recommend to anyone who just wants a good story in a game, the gameplay elements are nil, but this doesn't take away from the great characters, the humour and the overall theme of the game - big plus.

I've bern putting hours into game dev. tycoon lately. Lot of fun. My sims ripoff is going off the charts

Bought that during the Steam Spring Sale but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Seen a friend play it, looks like an awesome game. In terms of indie games I've played recently, Bastion and Brutal Legend are two decent games. If I only had to recommend one I'd recommend Bastion.

Bought that during the Steam Spring Sale but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Seen a friend play it, looks like an awesome game. In terms of indie games I've played recently, Bastion and Brutal Legend are two decent games. If I only had to recommend one I'd recommend Bastion.

Brutal Legend is faaaaar from an indie game, was made by Double Fine and had a pretty decent budget.

Speaking about games with great concepts, FEZ is one I'm playing at the moment whose gameplay is an interesting take on the platformer genre.

In my opinion the two best indie games to have come out are Bastion and Hotline Miami.

Both are amazing, have a great artstyle and soundtrack and are fun as hell. Two of my favourite games of the generation.

Speaking about games with great concepts, FEZ is one I'm playing at the moment whose gameplay is an interesting take on the platformer genre.

Too bad the creator is a massive dickwad.

I heard great things about Hotline Miami, so I grabbed it during the last Steam sale. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I played for about 10 minutes, and I doubt I'll play it again. Ah well, only cost me $2.49.

I'm a big wrap for Papers, Please and Prison Architect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Papers, Please got best game of the year from NerdCubed, a very popular British YouTuber.

Also, I am getting the Stanley Parable. It's on sale on steam right now and looks insane

I heard great things about Hotline Miami, so I grabbed it during the last Steam sale. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I played for about 10 minutes, and I doubt I'll play it again. Ah well, only cost me $2.49.

I'm a big wrap for Papers, Please and Prison Architect.

Hotline Miami is excellent, if you didn't enjoy it chances are it's not the sort of gameplay you were after. A bit of research is all it takes.

Papers, Please got best game of the year from NerdCubed, a very popular British YouTuber.

Also, I am getting the Stanley Parable. It's on sale on steam right now and looks insane

The Stanley Parable is a great game.

Limbo and Super Meat Boy are two games that are great.

Watching youtube videos of it, looks really good

It's got that old style game vibe about it that combined with modern gaming features makes it an enthralling experience. A genuine must get game at a discount.

Started and finished Gone Home today, after the groundswell of awards and nominations for GOTY I had been seeing for it I had to give it a go.

Very interesting game, feels like a horror almost the entire way through with very eerie atmosphere and sound design. Yet it's basically anything but.

I don't agree with nameless saying it's woeful and shouldn't be played by anyone. It's an acquired taste, but definitely has a decent story attached to it that should be able to be enjoyed by most.

Overall the story has a nice personal feel to it, is really well told considering you have this huge open house to explore at your will, the game looks pretty good (all them high res interactive items mmmmm) and can be completed in about 2 hours. Worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Started an finished Gone Home today, after the groundswell of awards and nominations for GOTY I had been seeing for it I had to give it a go.

Very interesting game, feels like a horror almost the entire way through with very eerie atmosphere and sound design. Yet it's basically anything but.

I don't agree with nameless saying it's woeful and shouldn't be played by anyone. It's an acquired taste, but definitely has a decent story attached to it that should be able to be enjoyed by most.

Overall the story has a nice personal feel to it, the game looks pretty good (all them high res interactive items mmmmm) and can be completed in about 2 hours. Worth the price of admission in my opinion.

The most important part of any game is the gameplay, which Gone Home fails to provide.

It's walk around and click on objects, the puzzles are laughably easy. The story is ok, without being groundbreaking, it's generally mentioned in high regard because it's more indepth then 90% of other games stories.

The fact it's winning awards left right and center due to it's "story" is a joke, if I wanted a good story I'd go read a book.
Not that I'm saying games cannot have a good story, but it shouldn't be the selling point.

Tell me.... Is Gone Home better than Thirty Flights of Loving? Is Stanley Parable?

The reason why I've avoided both until this point in time is with their laughably short length I don't want to feel like I've put $5+ down the drain for half an hour game.

I ask this having loved Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons which was 3 hours but possibly the best 3-hour game I have ever played (gaming since early 1980's).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back