Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This wasn't on par with booing a former player who left your club, nor booing a player for something they've done on the field that usually dies out after a quarter. This was sustained abuse over the course of at least a season and a half.

I don't think the AFL is 100% to blame for doing nothing. I don't think the players, coaches and club administrators are 100% to blame for the fact that it remained ongoing.

But I have to hope that if this situation presented it again, then we'd have a Virat Kohli telling his supporters to pull their heads in, we'd have games stopped while the home team told their fans to can it, and we'd at least have the threat that Sydney would be playing away games in empty stadiums if it continued.

None of these are perfect solutions, but we can't accept that nothing could have been done, and that nothing could be done if the situation presented itself again.

Sadly, I fear its hypothetical anyway. What Indigenous player would put themselves out there after seeing what happened to Goodes? What player is going to be the first to come at as gay or bi after seeing what happened to Goodes?

In one player, over the course of 2 seasons, we saw that sport is not the vehicle for change and acceptance that we want to believe it to be. And much as I wish more players would take the position of leadership that Goodes did, no one in good conscience could possibly suggest that they do so, or criticise them for not doing so after Goodes.

A very very Grey area

One would think people are smart enough to educate their children not to boo at all.

At the start of the doco they had the warning that (paraphrasing) "images, names and voices of deceased indigenous Australians will be used in this program".

My 12yo - who knew nothing about this - after watching 20 mins (where no current footage or voice of Goodes was used) asked "Did he kill himself?", thinking that the warning at the beginning referred to Goodes.

"No, no he didn't"

Was both the happiest and saddest answer I have had to deliver in a while.

Interestingly, from the outside I think that the US is going through a Adam Goodes type scenario with Megan Rapinoe, the US Women's Soccer star.
Their pivot point is gender and sexual orientation rather than race (haven't they had enough of those over the years!), but many of the arguments for all sides seem to mirror what we've been through.

I dunno man, but I think it's an interesting point that you raise. Australia certainly isn't isolated in it's persecution of black athletes who won't accept "their place."

From Tommie Smith and John Carlos, through Muhammed Ali, to Colin Kaepernick more recently, they've squibbed their treatment of vocal black athletes just as badly as we have.

Also the fact that Eddie basically had a career resurgence following these events (and also the Caroline Wilson event) is a complete disgrace
This is one of the hardest things for me as a Collingwood supporter to deal with. He has continued a shameful history of Collingwood presidents on racial matters. Some will argue his achievements and good that he has done, but he made the King Kong comment, which was not a slip of the tongue, and then he fires up about the war cry. And in between he talks about not having a racist bone in his body and seeks understanding and forgiveness. At least Newman et al are more transparent in their at best racially insensitive views.

Would be very happy to see the back of him.

This is one of the hardest things for me as a Collingwood supporter to deal with. He has continued a shameful history of Collingwood presidents on racial matters. Some will argue his achievements and good that he has done, but he made the King Kong comment, which was not a slip of the tongue, and then he fires up about the war cry. And in between he talks about not having a racist bone in his body and seeks understanding and forgiveness. At least Newman et al are more transparent in their at best racially insensitive views.

I don’t think Eddie macguire is a racist.

He just doesn’t think about what he says and it comes out in an incredible stupid manner.

My perception of Robbo changed tonight. He is inherently a decent man.

You watch enough Robbo on 360 and you see that, whilst he's an incoherent drunk who is no more educated nor a better writer than plenty of people on BF - he's basically a pretty woke lefty!

Still not sure he'd admit to it though if you suggested this to him.

This doco has changed my view on Goodes. Its ugly to watch. Hardwick nailed my thoughts. 'Its bullying at best, racism at worst.'
Power to you. I thought if I can come on here and find just one person moved enough by the doco to think differently that'll be enough for me. The constant booing was the only thing that ever came close to parting me from this great game. I don't expect everyone's view to be changed, but if it can be a starting point where we all think a little more about our actions -- whatever motivates them -- maybe there's some good to come out of all of this.

I still don't know exactly how I stand...

I never boo'd Goodes. I didn't like how he was boo'd either. Did I think there was a racist element, absolutely, and more at the end when it still happened after all the 'I stand with Goodes' campaign and recognition that it was really hurting him. Everyone should have stopped it then. It was bulling at best and racist most likely. But again, part of it from the yobbo element is people hate having this (what they see as) "PC-narrative shoved down their throat" which riles them more. And to many that is legit, there is a bit of a stick it up to the PC-w***ers edge too.

Say if this booing happened to Ballantine or Abblett or Milne the way it escalated with Goodes, would it be a similar situation? If say Milne responded with a doggy style action to vent anger at being boo'd and taunted for being a rapist (akin to the War Cry)... I dunno. It would certainly inflame, booing would escalate.

But this was an aboriginal guy.

So do I draw the conclusion that ALL boo'ers were racist and ALL had racial intent as the reason for their booing of Goodes.... hmm NO. Its more complex than that. Some people just didn't like Goodes, the same way as they didn't like the others players mentioned. THere's a lot of that in the mix too.

Personally I thought 10's on way coverage that if you didn't subscribe to the above conclusion you are ALSO racist. Brandished as such. This isn't helpful. I think people calling another person "racist" is in many ways as significant and prejudicial as actually being the subject of racism. A controversial statement perhaps, but in many ways its very similar. Its the same summarising, judging, and putting a person in a box to fit biases.

So I do NOT take accusations of racism lightly. More benefit of the doubt should be given to people... I feel through this all of the 'benefit of the doubt' was systematically erased in the forming (many by people with agenda) the 'its-all-down-to-racism' narrative, as THE ONLY conclusion to draw.

So that said, the Project was again stacked to push their "narrative" and I fear one way "analysis" in this manner is just as divisive and unhelpful to the 'conversation' we're supposed to have. Its not really... honest.

If you want a conversation, put in people like Bolt, like Jones, like Newman, not echo-chamber, cherry picked articles, vision, etc. Actually be ballsy enough to debate, discuss, critique... Show all sides of the story and HAVE A CONVERSATION as they keep harping on about.

I don’t think Eddie macguire is a racist.

He just doesn’t think about what he says and it comes out in an incredible stupid manner.

I reckon it was Caro who said earlier this year that his problem is when he tries to be funny. With Caro herself and the drowning thing, with the Goodes/King Kong thing, with the idiotic thing this year about disabled coin tossers - he demonstrates that he's come a long way in media despite basically being an unfunny moron.

I don't doubt that he's a great administrator as Collingwood president. I don't doubt that he's a good tv and radio presenter. I don't even doubt that, given his upbringing, he's not at all racist.

But he is an extraordinary f**kwit.

Australians are amongst the most ignorant and stupid people on the planet! “We” boo because the next person boo’s.. some have no idea why they boo.. however the initial reaction or boo that is stemmed from racism and by association the incompetent booer becomes racist, ignorant or a bigot.. so if you were not bright enough to hold your boo or aware why you boo then cop ya fu**in fair whack.. learn from this, teach ya kids and if you are still ignorant enough to NOT understand the consequences then use protection and dont procreate!
There we go once again. 'Australians' which also means everyone living in this country. You are saying that everyone is ignorant and stupid. That's also saying everyone that boos is racist. You can't call everyone a racist that boos. Everyone wasn't alive over 200 years ago we weren't the ones who did that terrible stuff back then and by saying every white Australian is racist is a huge statement and many people booed Adam Goodes because he acted.

If you're helping people with mental health problems then you're a ******* champ. That's bloody hard to do.

But why are you doing that on one hand, and jumping on here calling everyone names. I don't get that? Why would ya?

Why would you work hard to look after your family, but tear down people who are fighting their own battles and also looking out for others?
No, tearing down on the responders to my original post. I'm not the racist, I obviously have different outlook on the subject.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want a conversation, put in people like Bolt, like Jones, like Newman, not echo-chamber, cherry picked articles, vision, etc. Actually be ballsy enough to debate, discuss, critique... Show all sides of the story and HAVE A CONVERSATION as they keep harping on about.
Yeah those guys were really silenced in their views on the matter. I wonder what they would have said about it all.

ezgif.com-crop-copy.gif

Yeah those guys were really silenced in their views on the matter. I wonder what they would have said about it all.

ezgif.com-crop-copy.gif

It might not have been pretty, but it would have been fairer and more honest. Just put it out on the table and get all perspectives on the matter, even if uncomfortable.

I still don't know exactly how I stand...

I never boo'd Goodes. I didn't like how he was boo'd either. Did I think there was a racist element, absolutely, and more at the end when it still happened after all the 'I stand with Goodes' campaign and recognition that it was really hurting him. Everyone should have stopped it then. It was bulling at best and racist most likely. But again, part of it from the yobbo element is people hate having this (what they see as) "PC-narrative shoved down their throat" which riles them more. And to many that is legit, there is a bit of a stick it up to the PC-w***ers edge too.

Say if this booing happened to Ballantine or Abblett or Milne the way it escalated with Goodes, would it be a similar situation? If say Milne responded with a doggy style action to vent anger at being boo'd and taunted for being a rapist (akin to the War Cry)... I dunno. It would certainly inflame, booing would escalate.

But this was an aboriginal guy.

So do I draw the conclusion that ALL boo'ers were racist and ALL had racial intent as the reason for their booing of Goodes.... hmm NO. Its more complex than that. Some people just didn't like Goodes, the same way as they didn't like the others players mentioned. THere's a lot of that in the mix too.

Personally I thought 10's on way coverage that if you didn't subscribe to the above conclusion you are ALSO racist. Brandished as such. This isn't helpful. I think people calling another person "racist" is in many ways as significant and prejudicial as actually being the subject of racism. A controversial statement perhaps, but in many ways its very similar. Its the same summarising, judging, and putting a person in a box to fit biases.

So I do NOT take accusations of racism lightly. More benefit of the doubt should be given to people... I feel through this all of the 'benefit of the doubt' was systematically erased in the forming (many by people with agenda) the 'its-all-down-to-racism' narrative, as THE ONLY conclusion to draw.

So that said, the Project was again stacked to push their "narrative" and I fear one way "analysis" in this manner is just as divisive and unhelpful to the 'conversation' we're supposed to have. Its not really... honest.

Decent post but putting those guys in a room for a conversation won’t do anything. Their job is to stir up issues just like people on the other far side. These types of people will always exist.

People just need to educate their children about empathy. Treat others how you want to be treated.

I’ll start off by saying I’m not particularly a fan of Eddie I think he’s a self indulgent wank but in saying that I think some of his comments highlight some of the issues very well

A lot of us have (including myself) have said things off the cuff that are very much racially loaded comments that could in deed hurt someone

But I have never considered myself a racist the problem is lack of awareness and education and being naive to the fact that these things can cause pain and are plain wrong

it’s only pretty recently due to people like Adam calling out this casual racism that a lot of people are starting to do the same

I’m ashamed of things I have said in the past and I hope because of the things Eddie has said he has grown as a person and we do as a society

Power to you. I thought if I can come on here and find just one person moved enough by the doco to think differently that'll be enough for me. The constant booing was the only thing that ever came close to parting me from this great game. I don't expect everyone's view to be changed, but if it can be a starting point where we all think a little more about our actions -- whatever motivates them -- maybe there's some good to come out of all of this.
Well i wasnt really attending/Watching many football games at the time and never saw the booing live, so all i ever really had to go off to form an opinion was the media or discussions with friends. The doco just showed unedited footage, commentary and articles condensed and allowed me to form a different opinion, without it feeling like it was forced on me. It was really sad to watch, a bit embarrassing, and i think you'll find a few opinions and perceptions will change because of it.

My perception of Robbo changed tonight. He is inherently a decent man.

The breakdown between the professional broadcasters and the overpaid ex-players was really quite something.

You pay a retired footballer X amount of money for Y hot takes for so many years and it's no wonder they start to think they're qualified to provide expert comment on situations like this.

Watched the doco and felt really sad by it all. The saddest part is I can see both sides to it. What an unfortunate set of events.
I've never experienced racism in Australia luckily but I know the feeling from travelling to Asia and Latin America where people think you're a dope and treat you like a buffoon. To have that constantly in your own country or even perceiving that must be horrific. No where to go etc.

Perhaps he didn't deserve Australian of the year. But that wasn't his fault. I honestly reckon the whole thing started when Andrew Bolt wrote the article about how he called it invasion day etc. I know that's what a lot of people relayed to me. And that's where it seemed to start and grow legs. Sad when you watch the audio you hear Adam talking positively and not decisively about Australia day at all.
Then it just grew and grew and by the end people were booing because they were being told not to boo. Which I understand.

Seems like from that Andrew Bolt article onwards people picked a side and just looked for the other team to hang their hat on whatever. The spear throw, Eddie's jokes etc etc whatever. It all added fuel to the fire.
So typical of today's social media society.

I must admit as a Richmond supporter I never really liked Goodesy but I respected him and wish him all the very best. I hope people look back on this fondly so some good can come out of it. Nicky Winmar style.
The Bolts and Jones of this world relished the fact the Goodes was being kicked around publically.
Two of the most intolerant selfish fools you will see.

Mate of mine started this. I'd love to see him get the traditional send off

They would be inviting him every year mate....don’t think you need a petition....

It might not have been pretty, but it would have been fairer and more honest. Just put it out on the table and get all perspectives on the matter, even if uncomfortable.
I feel you missed the point. They had their say. Repeatedly. What perspective do you think would have been missed out from the contributions of those you named?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back