Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got the answer you deserved.

So you chose to boo Goodes for his perceived sniping, diving, thug acts etc but chose not to boo others exhibiting the same floggish acts. Thanks, all the info I needed to make up my mind.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I really despise the way you and others like you try to insinuate I'm racist for posting my well-considered opinions on this topic.

Why would you post that comment above? Does it make you feel superior? :rolleyes:

That's actually one of my issues with this whole debate. I see a bunch of people trying to feel superior by putting others down and labelling them as racist. It's just sad that people operate like that. Disappointing, I mean. You're supposed to be the socially aware person who wants the world to be a better place and yet you act like that.

Yes, I am nostalgic for going to suburban VFL football grounds in the 80's, but the feral behaviour and ignorant attitudes of footy fans was disgraceful. Even though such behaviour was normalised and it was less-enlightened times, it still shocked me as a wide-eyed kid. I was raised right by caring parents and encouraged to use my brain.
Yep fair enough I apologise for flippant remark.
Can’t possibly agree with you, however, on the booing, nor the characterisations of Goodes, nor necessarily the progress we have made re racism. Can’t agree that this was a media or afl- driven storm, nor does the ‘tribal nature’ of our game excuse shameful behaviour. Individuals made poor choices for a variety of reasons, racism being front and centre amongst them.

Last edited:

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No, you are right. It doesn't mean people should shut up about it.

But I'm expressing my opinion that people these days make mountains out of molehills. I don't mean Goodes. He can do whatever he likes. I just mean the way everyone reacted to him and his cause, both positive and negative. So laughably overblown.

There will always be racism on some levels. It will never be entirely eradicated. But I think we (as in society and the AFL) have done a good job of educating people and transforming AFL venues from a hotbed of ignorance and racism to somewhere you can bring your family and not have to cover your children's ears.

Indigenous players might still encounter racism here and there, but as shown by the record numbers of indigenous players in the AFL, it is somewhere they can actually flourish and make a success of their lives.

I don't think it does their cause any good to falsely label people as racist because they booed Goodes. At the time, it just hardened people's resolve and made the booing more persistent. It would've died a quick natural death if certain folks in the media weren't so intent on inflaming their audience and stirring up trouble. (Hello Caro, Robbo and Patrick Smith)

The documentary never once addressed the tribal nature of AFL barracking. They could've shown equally "disturbing" footage of Paddy Dangerfield being booed by 20,000 Port fans, or Gary Ablett being booed by 20,000 Hawk fans. This would've added some much-needed perspective. But it didn't fit their narrative of Goodes, the proud indigenous warrior taking a stand against racism.
Mate you say you like to think critically, so I'm going to simply say that your bolded part represents exactly the fallacy at play here.

You feel that the way the treatment of indigenous people has changed within the AFL system reflects changes in the rest of society. It doesn't.

You have no idea what these player's experiences have been outside of football, often growing up in disadvantaged rural areas. You obviously believe society is making progress on indigenous issues, but I wonder what you're basing that on. In 2015, as WC fans were booing Goodes, the government forcibly closed 150 rural communities in WA, who were living on their traditional land. Do you really know anything about that?

I don't think the average Australian has a clue about the contemporary state of indigenous affairs, nor do they have indigenous friends around for dinner, let alone go into their communities, or describe the war, the genocide, the stolen generation, the Gurindji handback, or the Mabo case in any detail. As much as we've made progress in our interpersonal treatment of indigenous people, we are still unaccustomed to listening to them on issues of race. We are used to being told by other white people what is or isn't acceptable. Every dark-skinned person in this country who speaks publicly about race is always subject to a load of abuse.

Also, the way you sarcastically call Goodes a 'proud indigenous warrior' is low. I think you'll come to regret that.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Here's how a champion reacts to getting dropped:

Need I remind everyone Goodes' response to merely being told he'd be the 'sub'....

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
When was this?

I probably played footy with a few of them fellas. Its bulls**t whats happened in that town. We live in a police state.

2016 from memory, was on holidays at the time.

My territory is Tweed Heads to Euston and everything inbetween.

I quite enjoy your neck of the woods but tend to stay a bit closer to the beach if possible around Lennox. Will let you know when I'm heading up haha thanks and thanks for the etymology lesson too, I would have thought 'Japs', 'Punjis' and 'Pakis' etc is considered pretty racist, certainly the latter two in England could get you smacked in Birmingham or Halifax but not so much in Australia which may or may not fit people's narrative depending on which side of the argument you sit. On a side note, Argy is even 'whiter' than Australia if that's even possible. My dad being Argy who tend to call everyone by their nationality or city of birth rather than by name has not helped me at all in such discussions (not that I'm using it as an excuse for my lack of understanding)

If you are from Tucaman, you are a Tucamano, a farmer to those from BA or Federal. Just how we were brought up unfortunately, 'racist' and 'elitist'.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He he. I like how all the booers set themselves up against “the media”. It assumes the media is a monolith. There was plenty of media that sounded like the s**t I’m reading in this thread and all those who say they are “thinking for themselves against a PC media” were probably gobbling up Andrew Bolt’s bullshit every day.

Putting aside racism (which is hard) this became bullying behaviour

The saddest thing in the doco was watching him booed all the way to the final siren of his last game.

It was like dumb school yard stuff. He said it was upsetting him so people did it more. It’s actually really ****ed up

Last edited:
I bood Lindsay Thomas

Hardly a surprise coming from you lot. Windy Hill was a s**t place for a black kid to watch footy till Sheedy invented indigenous players. So for about a season.

The s**t he copped was as racist as anything Goodes copped. Commentators would call LTs plays differently to other peoples. Once Dunkley grabbed him round the throat in a tackle and dragged him to ground and the commentators were banging on about him ducking. It clearly wasn't but the knuckle headed utensil wombles on this site just repeated what the commentators told them. GIGO. That racist campaigner Bontempelli called Lachie Hunter ducking into a Thomas tackle malicious (cos no one questions an angry looking blackfella's inherent maliciousness) and got him suspended, the *en dog. No one in the AFL gave a *.

He got punched in the head in front of an umpire during one game looked at the ump expecting a free and the umpire laughed at him and said "yeah right, as if." A few weeks after Brad Scotts went off half cocked in the media so its kind of understandable behaviour for an entitled bald flog even if its completely wrong and against the spirit of what umpires are sposed to do. The double standard that applies to the way he is looked at compared to Goodes is endemic of what is wrong with indigenous relations in Australia. I know blackfellas who thought very little of Adam Goodes before he started speaking out who would describe Linds as not pretty enough or subservient enough to get a fair go from the umps. Angry looking fella and actually too shy to speak in public so everyone assumed he was a campaigner. After all we all know black people are more likely to be campaigners than shy and overly respectful off the field.

OneEyedHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2004
Ringwood East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you chose to boo Goodes for his perceived sniping, diving, thug acts etc but chose not to boo others exhibiting the same floggish acts. Thanks, all the info I needed to make up my mind.

Mitchell was a renowned diver, flopper etc. was he? Never heard that criticism levelled at him before.

Some might've viewed a few of his acts as sniperish, but not even nearly similar to how Goodes was perceived.

GeneticCat

Senior List
Mar 19, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Mitchell was a renowned diver, flopper etc. was he? Never heard that criticism levelled at him before.

Some might've viewed a few of his acts as sniperish, but not even nearly similar to how Goodes was perceived.

Probably more for this sort of stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Hardly a surprise coming from you lot. Windy Hill was a s**t place for a black kid to watch footy till Sheedy invented indigenous players. So for about a season.

The s**t he copped was as racist as anything Goodes copped. Commentators would call LTs plays differently to other peoples. Once Dunkley grabbed him round the throat in a tackle and dragged him to ground and the commentators were banging on about him ducking. It clearly wasn't but the knuckle headed utensil wombles on this site just repeated what the commentators told them. GIGO. That racist campaigner Bontempelli called Lachie Hunter ducking into a Thomas tackle malicious (cos no one questions an angry looking blackfella's inherent maliciousness) and got him suspended, the fu**en dog. No one in the AFL gave a fu**.

He got punched in the head in front of an umpire during one game looked at the ump expecting a free and the umpire laughed at him and said "yeah right, as if." A few weeks after Brad Scotts went off half cocked in the media so its kind of understandable behaviour for an entitled bald flog even if its completely wrong and against the spirit of what umpires are sposed to do. The double standard that applies to the way he is looked at compared to Goodes is endemic of what is wrong with indigenous relations in Australia. I know blackfellas who thought very little of Adam Goodes before he started speaking out who would describe Linds as not pretty enough or subservient enough to get a fair go from the umps. Angry looking fella and actually too shy to speak in public so everyone assumed he was a campaigner. After all we all know black people are more likely to be campaigners than shy and overly respectful off the field.
See I thought someone would say something like this.

Your first response is instantly “RACISM WHOOAA” *massive monologue*

Dude, he was a diving spud who almost single handedly created contact below the knees, an awful rule.

But everything is always conflated and boiled down to someone’s skin colour.

That doesn’t mean s**t.

Just like I hate Sam Mitchell

SherbertLemon

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
He he. I like that how all the booers set themselves up against “the media”. It assumes the media is a monolith. There was plenty of media that sounded like the s**t I’m reading in this thread and all those who say they are “thinking for themselves against a PC media” were probably gobbling up Andrew Bolt’s bulls**t every day.

Putting aside racism (which is hard) this became bullying behaviour

The saddest thing in the doco was watching him booed all the way to the final siren of his last game.

It was like dumb school yard stuff. He said it was upsetting him so people did it more. It’s actually really f’ed up

Go into any non sterilised social environment and complain when you’re made fun of and see what happens.

See I thought someone would say something like this.

Your first response is instantly “RACISM WHOOAA” *massive monologue*

Dude, he was a diving spud who almost single handedly created contact below the knees, an awful rule.

But everything is always conflated and boiled down to someone’s skin colour.

That doesn’t mean s**t.

Just like I hate Sam Mitchell

Yeah. I'll stick up for Lindsay any day. He's got more heart in his little finger than you have ion your entire body.

He didn't create any rule. The AFL created that rule because the most fragile prone player in the AFL ****ed up and pricks like you blame LT. You're just making my point for me.

Watch a replay of that incident - LT got a free for the head high hit from Rohan (who basically jumped on his back with his elbow out,) and then was offered a 2 game ban that was thrown laughed out by the tribunal. Still you claimed he was in the wrong. I wonder why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back