Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed the hawthorn players wearing #37 tonight in the warm ups as a stance on not doing enough for Adam Goodes. Seriously, What an absolute joke. We have such a pathetic victimhood mentality in this country.

Adam Goodes was his own worst enemy. He was booed primarily because he was a pain in the arse on and off the field. It has. Nothing to do with the colour of his skin...

The hawrhorn players wearing #37 tonight as a stance on not doing enough for Adam Goodes. Seriously, What an absolute joke. We have such a pathetic victimhood mentality in this country.

Adam Goodes was his own worst enemy
I reckon your comment is the pathetic thing here.

A bunch of guys showing support for a guy and you call it pathetic. How can you be that miserable?

I reckon your comment is the pathetic thing here.

A bunch of guys showing support for a guy and you call it pathetic. How can you be that miserable?

That's your opinion. The point is this whole thing is based on a false premise.. That's the issue. The overwhelming majority of people in this country are not racist, and we resent being labled as racist. The whole thing is bull Sh#t.. Fake news!

Of course most Australians aren't racist and I'm not convinced the girls comment was racist. How do we know she didn't call him an ape because he's a big guy?

The way Goodes was treated was abominable.

Noticed the hawthorn players wearing #37 tonight in the warm ups as a stance on not doing enough for Adam Goodes. Seriously, What an absolute joke. We have such a pathetic victimhood mentality in this country.

I'm a bit suspicious that this occurred days after the whole JK fiasco. Nothing like Hawthorn to take advantage of a situation to drum up some positive publicity :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What was the bit Goodes was saying in that video at 4:35. I saw his lips moving but I couldn't hear anything? Laptop might be broken.

Nothing wrong with your laptop. The audio cuts out at that point. Can see the original in full here (though will have to watch a Go Pro ad).

I think what he said when the audio was cut was .."but it's not her fault."

Goodes defended the girl on radio the next day. Vilified her parents though, despite not know if the ape comment was a racist taunt or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes defended the girl on radio the next day. Vilified her parents though, despite not know if the ape comment was a racist taunt or not.

Not sure how the ape comment could not be a racist taunt.

How do we know she didn't call him an ape because he's a big guy?

Because no one does that. Maybe a gorilla, but calling someone an ape has been a racist taunt pretty exclusively.

That's your opinion. The point is this whole thing is based on a false premise.. That's the issue. The overwhelming majority of people in this country are not racist, and we resent being labled as racist. The whole thing is bull Sh#t.. Fake news!
Take the racist element out of it then. Goodes was still treated like s**t above and beyond whatever he did on the field. He was treated similarly to Milne on field. And to remind you, Milne was accused of rape. Goodes, by comparison, staged for free kicks, and got away with a bit at the tribunal. If there isn't a racist component to it then it's actually even harder to explain how it got so out of hard. I mean really - an accused rapist getting treated on par with a guy who stages for frees and gets off lightly at the tribunal and calls out that he doesn't want to be called a gorilla. Does that sound right to you?

Anyway - the topic at hand is that the hawk players were showing him support after he copped it for years.

Why would you have a problem with that? Why are you making it about you? It's hawthorn players wearing training jumpers with the number 37 - it's not someone pointing the finger at you personally and saying you're a racist. I'm certainly not calling you a racist. But I do want to understand the weird level of aggression from so many people shown at the notion of the hawks players supporting Goodes. To me, it just further reinforces that he's got a target on his head EVEN WHEN HE ISN'T DOING ANYTHING. He didn't ask them to wear the number 37. He didn't initiate this.

Absolute weird approach from people. As if booing him into submission wasn't enough - people want to shut down/criticise the efforts of OTHER people to support him. Do you know how weird and twisted that is? The fact you're taking it as a personal slight because the indigenous boys are showing solidarity on an issue?

And what's weird is that you're not the only one. There's heaps of people taking this reaction to something that isn't even directed at them.

My Nanna used to call me a cheeky little monkey. She was definitely no racist.

Semantics are cool.

I think it's pretty easy to distinguish between the context of 'cheeky little monkey' directed towards a small child and 'ape' directed towards an adult Indigenous man.

So Sam Newman has been racially vilifying Jason Dunstall the entire time

/legitshook and shocked to be sitting here!

Dunstall isn't Indigenous. Adam Goodes is also not exceedingly tall or heavy for an average AFL player.

Semantics are cool.

I think it's pretty easy to distinguish between the context of 'cheeky little monkey' directed towards a small child and 'ape' directed towards an adult Indigenous man.

In 1983 Howard Cosell in the US left his job as a sportscaster after a furore erupted when it was reported he said about a black player "look at that little monkey run". The fact that he called his grandchildren by that term and tape resurfaced of him referring to many white players the same way didn't save him from the controversy. When a smaller physical stature NFL football player would run and dart around after getting his hands on the ball, Cosell would sometimes say "Look at that little monkey run!" It didn't matter if it was a white or black player.

He wasn't a racist. He was the acknowledged champion of Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Tommie Smith, and John Carlos, as well as dozens of black civil-rights activists who spoke up for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back