Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it's pretty easy to distinguish between the context of 'cheeky little monkey' directed towards a small child and 'ape' directed towards an adult Indigenous man.

Well I could argue that your comment sounds racist too.

Clearly you see Goodes as a coloured man, and you’re assuming the 13 year old girl had to as well, if only to suit your narrative.

How do you know for a fact that she didn’t perceive him as a lumbering 191cm, 100kg footballer? I’ll answer that question for you, you don’t.

And talk about context. Need I point out that she’s was a child too? A cheeky little monkey herself? Off course not, that too wouldn’t suit your narrative.

Well I could argue that your comment sounds racist too.

Clearly you see Goodes as a coloured man, and you’re assuming the 13 year old girl had to as well, if only to suit your narrative.

How do you know for a fact that she didn’t perceive him as a lumbering 191cm, 100kg footballer? I’ll answer that question for you, you don’t.

And talk about context. Need I point out that she’s was a child too? A cheeky little monkey herself? Off course not, that too wouldn’t suit your narrative.

^^extremely high IQ individual definitely arguing semantics in good faith.

No personal narrative from this guy

It seems we can narrow this thread down to three camps.

1. Some booers were genuinely racist.
2. Some booers just disliked Goodes the individual and his behaviour and would have done the same if he was African, Asian, Indian, European, Caucasian, Mauri, etc.
3. The anti-booers who believe if you even thought of booing you are a racist bigot and to suggest otherwise is the same.

None of the above, open your eyes & ears & stop telling other people what they think.

Fancy that, you know what other people think ..... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

That's your opinion. The point is this whole thing is based on a false premise.. That's the issue. The overwhelming majority of people in this country are not racist, and we resent being labled as racist. The whole thing is bull Sh#t.. Fake news!

bull Sh#t :thumbsu:

Fake news, sadly not, its been hijacked by the perpetually indignated crew, who are happy to use Goodes, our game for their own preaching, a poor attempt at division through virtue signalling. Disagreeing is not racism.

Yeah the double standards are hilarious. Take the Betts/Stack 'Kiya' or whatever they wanna call it. If that was the Selwood brothers, or the Riewoldt cousins and they did that, there would have been a negative media circus over it. Whatever you do, do touch the other lads though because its culture..... ********. Goodes didn't deserve everything he got (Eddie's idiotic on air comment and some booing) but he deserved some of it too, he was a sneaky campaigner and an amazing footballer.

Yeah, Lindsay Thomas got booed more than Goodes ever did. Good point above.
1. Lindsay Thomas never got booed like Goodes did, which is in fact . No-one ever got booed like Goodes did. Thomas got booed because he WAS a stager - one of the most notorious there has ever been. But because, while being indigenous, he never did anything to annoy the racists, they didn't boo him like they did Goodes which is precisely the point. Goodes wasn't booed because he was black. He was booed because he was seen to have caused trouble - to be an uppity blackfella,

1. Lindsay Thomas never got booed like Goodes did, which is in fact . No-one ever got booed like Goodes did. Thomas got booed because he WAS a stager - one of the most notorious there has ever been. But because, while being indigenous, he never did anything to annoy the racists, they didn't boo him like they did Goodes which is precisely the point. Goodes wasn't booed because he was black. He was booed because he was seen to have caused trouble - to be an uppity blackfella,

Unless you're willing to poll every single boo-er that is an extremely long bow. And a very erroneous conclusion!

Unless you're willing to poll every single boo-er that is an extremely long bow. And a very erroneous conclusion!
Every racist is hanging their hat on this argument; if they can find one person that booed for completely innocent reasons, they can comfortably hide within that group. It is absolutely a long bow to say everyone that booed is racist, it is not at all a long bow to suggest that some of the booing was racist. After that, it's simply a matter of degrees.

Every racist is hanging their hat on this argument; if they can find one person that booed for completely innocent reasons, they can comfortably hide within that group. It is absolutely a long bow to say everyone that booed is racist, it is not at all a long bow to suggest that some of the booing was racist. After that, it's simply a matter of degrees.

Well my intentions are as pure as the sun. I started booing him in 2007 for his umpires pet status. Everyone just latched on #trendsetter

Fact according to you. Keep rewriting history though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes bears some of the blame for vilifying that girl's parents but the way he was treated was appalling.

Sadly Goodes would have been racially abused 100s of times during his career. This booing wouldn’t have happened if the one person he finally called out was an adult rather than a little girl.

If he’d done that to a child of mine for a stupid comment, I’d be fu@$ing livid. She needed a quiet talking to. She didn’t need to be dragged out of the stadium and made the supposed national race of racism!

If he called out some middle age flog, I would have applauded it like everyone else.

I wonder what the context and timing of the boos says about the booing?

Easy the booing was barely noticeable until media and Gilligan paid more attention to it. Once he begged and pleaded for it to stop. It grew louder :) :).

You can't expect the crowd to abide by the wishes of a polo playing hipster that has zero idea on what the football public wants :)

If any of you people think for one moment this clown was booed because he was an aboriginal then you are ******* deluded, for starters he was booed against Hawthorn by their fans who have(had) an abundance of those players in their side. it was always because he was an attention seeking knob.

Easy the booing was barely noticeable until media and Gilligan paid more attention to it. Once he begged and pleaded for it to stop. It grew louder :) :).

You can't expect the crowd to abide by the wishes of a polo playing hipster that has zero idea on what the football public wants :)

No we should all march to the beat of the same drum your racist President does. The sooner the better that head that is starting to resemble a Bloodhound is out of the game the better.

No we should all march to the beat of the same drum your racist President does. The sooner the better that head that is starting to resemble a Bloodhound is out of the game the better.

Jeff has done more for the state of Victoria and indeed Australian football than any other political figure in history. Its going to take more than a random forum poster to knock him off his pedestal.

Jeff has done more for the state of Victoria and indeed Australian football than any other political figure in history. Its going to take more than a random forum poster to knock him off his pedestal.

And it will take more than random forum posters with their racist bigotry to knock Goodes off his Pedestal as one of the greatest players to ever Play this game. The best part of all of this is the racists that are continuing down this path don't realise all they are doing are fast tracking Goodes into HOF Legend status because the dust will settle one day and along with his already HOF Football feats his ability to deal with the racism and bigotry and handle this very sad chapter in the history of the game will only put him into the Legendary status he deserves. So go your hardest but the hatred is only fuelling an outcome the racists and bigots are going to suffer with for as long as they draw breath.

And it will take more than random forum posters with their racist bigotry to knock Goodes off his Pedestal as one of the greatest players to ever Play this game. The best part of all of this is the racists that are continuing down this path don't realise all they are doing are fast tracking Goodes into HOF Legend status because the dust will settle one day and along with his already HOF Football feats his ability to deal with the racism and bigotry and handle this very sad chapter in the history of the game will only put him into the Legendary status he deserves. So go your hardest but the hatred is only fuelling an outcome the racists and bigots are going to suffer with for as long as they draw breath.

Now that is the hottest of hottakes I've ever read. Everyone knows ex 37 of Sydney reduced himself to pleading for free kicks and became a dirty player as age had slowed his once great prowess. His legacy is already tainted, should he enter the HOF it would only ensue debate continues only this time whether or not its a charity/peace offering induction ;).

I've never personally hated the person. Whatever he chooses to do outside of football is his prerogative. I judge him on his on field actions alone the same as any other player. Act like a flog I'll boo you until the cows come home.

Watson got booed, Ablett got booed, there have been many players that have been booed over the years.
The problem was that people made a big thing about Goodes getting booed and that made matters worse. Unfortunately some people are like sheep and when they can see that what they are doing annoys or upsets the AFL or the person or people in general, they will continue to do it.
The more you tell them to stop, the more people will do the opposite, just to make a point of "you cant tell me what to do".

As for Adam Goodes, it will be a shame if this whole booing saga is the legacy that he is remembered for because no matter what peoples thoughts are or were of the man, he was an exceptional footballer.
Personally IMO, I don't think the booing (well the majority of it) was a racist act. There are many Indigenous players in the game and they don't get booed.
Maybe it was more Goodes the individual, than Goodes the Aboriginal.

Why bash this concept so much? It won Donald Trump a ******* election for christs sake :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back