Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
What do you know about the Black Power movement?

Just because it's been turned into something warm and cuddly by the passage of time doesn't change what happened. The athletes were (rightly) ostracised for bringing disgrace upon the Olympics.

Norman didn't understand what he was getting into but that's another story.

Edit: None of that is intended to have anything to do with Goodes. It is purely a response to the image posted. I should've quoted it, apologies.
che? Norman was nobody’s fool and he remained, for the rest of his life, very proud of the stance he took at the olympics. Good on him.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
che? Norman was nobody’s fool and he remained, for the rest of his life, very proud of the stance he took at the olympics. Good on him.

Norman was put on the spot over a highly sensitive US political issue by a series of leading questions and agreed to go along with it. His role was pretty minor, really, and is often overlooked outside Australia. Good on him for being consistent, though I suspect there would've been plenty of moments of regret.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
If any other players tried to use the game as a political platform the way Goodes did then they probably wouldn't be well liked either and would also get booed.
Give one example of Goodes using the game as a political platform

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Give one example of Goodes using the game as a political platform

The person I quoted posted this.

He was booed because he spoke up about aboriginal rights and also some unsavoury parts of our history.

That seems to be more related to politics than to sport and Goodes also insinuated that all the booing towards him was racist with help from the media.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
As I've said before I don't recall Goodes being booed by fans of every team in every game for a couple of years, that just seems like another example of people re-writing history to suit their argument.

I remember him being booed in some games over that period but not all games, he wasn't booed in GWS and Gold Coast home games as they have hardly any supporters and even if they did boo him no one would notice it.

If the films make that leap of logic (it went on for years) they have as much integrity as a Bolt article.

But facts tend to get in the way of 'impressive' films. see "Braveheart"

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Also we are now told the AFL didnt do enough at the time and the apology now is 'too late"
It would never be enough for some people, who have probably never set foot in a footy ground ever

Wikipedia:

Departure from the game
Owing to the stress caused by the booing and attention, Goodes took indefinite leave from the game in August of the 2015 season.[23] Many clubs and players in the AFL supported Goodes in the week of his leave by wearing indigenous-themed guernseys or armbands, and a video was prepared by the eighteen club captains to discourage the crowd from booing.[28] He returned the following week and played for the remainder of the season after an outpouring of support on social media; and from fans, actors, politicians, celebrities and teammates, including two spontaneous standing ovations.[35][36][37][38] Goodes retired from AFL in September 2015.[14]

Apology
In April 2019, on the eve of the premiere of the documentary film about the controversy and how it affected Goodes, The Final Quarter (see below), the AFL and all of its 18 clubs issued an unreserved apology for the sustained racism and events which drove Goodes out of the game. They said:

Adam, who represents so much that is good and unique about our game, was subject to treatment that drove him from football. The game did not do enough to stand with him, and call it out. Failure to call out racism and not standing up for one of our own let down all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players, past and present. Our game is about belonging. We want all Australians to feel they belong and that they have a stake in the game. We will not achieve this while racism and discrimination exists in our game... We will stand strongly with all in the football community who experience racism or discrimination. We are unified on this, and never want to see the mistakes of the past repeated.​
The statement also said that the football community "pledged to continue to fight all forms of racism and discrimination, on and off the field".[39][40]

There are two types of people.

One type of person who thinks the booing was racist and the other type of person who is racist.

Am I doing this right?

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Norman was put on the spot over a highly sensitive US political issue by a series of leading questions and agreed to go along with it. His role was pretty minor, really, and is often overlooked outside Australia. Good on him for being consistent, though I suspect there would've been plenty of moments of regret.
And I suspect he had no regrets and everything I have seen about it, would suggest the opposite. He remained lifelong friends with the other two. He did the right thing and it mattered. He wasn’t put on the spot- he volunteered to be part of it and he contributed the idea about the sharing of the gloves.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
And I suspect he had no regrets and everything I have seen about it, would suggest the opposite. He did the right thing and it mattered. He wasn’t put on the spot- he volunteered to be part of it and he contributed the idea about the sharing of the gloves.

Yes, the gloves were his idea. He was quizzed about God etc. and as a practising Christian, he naturally answered affirmatively. Then he gave his blessing to the actions Carlos & Smith were to take. He would've had no idea of the context of Black Power against the broader American milieu.

He was (allegedly) disciminated against in selection for future teams; I don't follow athletics so can't validate. Later suffered from depression and drug abuse issues. I'm certain there would've been a few regrets. But nobody can call him a hypocrite. If anything the hypocrites are Australian sporting bodies who snubbed him at e.g. the Sydney Olympics, then later awarded him retrospective honours.

Anyway, tangential issue.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, the gloves were his idea. He was quizzed about God etc. and as a practising Christian, he naturally answered affirmatively. Then he gave his blessing to the actions Carlos & Smith were to take.

He was (allegedly) disciminated against in selection for future teams; I don't follow athletics so can't validate. Later suffered from depression and drug abuse issues. I'm certain there would've been a few regrets. But nobody can call him a hypocrite. If anything the hypocrites are Australian sporting bodies who snubbed him at e.g. the Sydney Olympics, then later awarded him retrospective honours.

Anyway, tangential issue.
Yep side issue but none of your claims or assumptions are supported by the available evidence. Everything he said tells us he was proud and would do it again. Good on him to support human rights.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep side issue but none of your claims or assumptions are supported by the available evidence. Everything he said tells us he was proud and would do it again. Good on him to support human rights.

"Moments of regret" doesn't imply a change of philosophy.

How would he fare in the current climate? Would he 'like' Folau's post?

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Can you explain how that's using sport as a political platform?

Example please.

Since when did this become a university exam?

Also we are now told the AFL didnt do enough at the time and the apology now is 'too late"
It would never be enough for some people, who have probably never set foot in a footy ground ever

Wikipedia:

Departure from the game
Owing to the stress caused by the booing and attention, Goodes took indefinite leave from the game in August of the 2015 season.[23] Many clubs and players in the AFL supported Goodes in the week of his leave by wearing indigenous-themed guernseys or armbands, and a video was prepared by the eighteen club captains to discourage the crowd from booing.[28] He returned the following week and played for the remainder of the season after an outpouring of support on social media; and from fans, actors, politicians, celebrities and teammates, including two spontaneous standing ovations.[35][36][37][38] Goodes retired from AFL in September 2015.[14]

Apology
In April 2019, on the eve of the premiere of the documentary film about the controversy and how it affected Goodes, The Final Quarter (see below), the AFL and all of its 18 clubs issued an unreserved apology for the sustained racism and events which drove Goodes out of the game. They said:

Adam, who represents so much that is good and unique about our game, was subject to treatment that drove him from football. The game did not do enough to stand with him, and call it out. Failure to call out racism and not standing up for one of our own let down all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players, past and present. Our game is about belonging. We want all Australians to feel they belong and that they have a stake in the game. We will not achieve this while racism and discrimination exists in our game... We will stand strongly with all in the football community who experience racism or discrimination. We are unified on this, and never want to see the mistakes of the past repeated.​
The statement also said that the football community "pledged to continue to fight all forms of racism and discrimination, on and off the field".[39][40]

This stuff about Goodes being driven out of the game is just more re-writing of history, he was 35 in his last year of football and was pretty much cooked, he most likely would have retired anyway and even if he didn't he would have struggled to get a game for the Swans the following year when they made a GF.

It's not like he was at the peak of his career in his mid to late 20s and walked away from football, if Goodes was still at the peak of his powers and earning good money would he have walked away from football? I very much doubt it.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well it's not like he added anything constructive to the conversation. I don't agree with you but at least you're trying to construct an argument.
You don't look outraged enough to me, you're certainly not as outraged as some anyway, does that make you less of a non=racist? I think it does and I'm outraged!!

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Just assumed since you had that very firm opinion you'd have witnessed or read and example that resonated and stuck with you that lead to you forming that opinion.

It's more of a collection of things over time that formed my opinion rather than any specific examples.

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
So the documentary was written by journalist Stan Grant.

Here he is back on the 30th July 2015

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...des-feels-every-indigenous-person-has-felt-it

Stan Grant: I can tell you how Adam Goodes feels. Every Indigenous person has felt it

Estranged in the land of our ancestors, living on the fringes of a rich society – parse your words, but we see only race in the attacks on AFL player Adam Goodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back