Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's not like he added anything constructive to the conversation. I don't agree with you but at least you're trying to construct an argument.
My argument was both straight forward and simple.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
My argument was both straight forward and simple.
Or it was trying to over-simplify a more complex discussion for a punchline.

Can't speak for others but I don't think everyone who booed was racist and I don't see many on here that are claiming that. Yet a lot keep on going back to that as part of some counterargument but it's misrepresentation.

I think the backlash against Goodes was made up of a lot of things but I think racism was well and truly in the mix.

Ultimately I'm just sad that a champion of the game was treated in the way that he was considering the respect I have for him and the enjoyment I've received in following his career.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Yep but I don’t get it - grant isn’t on any of the film’s credits on their website.

You're correct. Thought Grant was involved in the Final Quarter, didn't realise there are actually two documentaries on Goodes.

The second Goodes-focused doco, The Australian Dream, will surface in August. It's written by acclaimed journalist Stan Grant, and will open the Melbourne International Film Festival before hitting theatres around the country.

https://concreteplayground.com/sydn...ived-a-standing-ovation-at-its-world-premiere

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Or it was trying to over-simplify a more complex discussion for a punchline.

Can't speak for others but I don't think everyone who booed was racist and I don't see many on here that are claiming that. Yet a lot keep on going back to that as part of some counterargument but it's misrepresentation.

I think the backlash against Goodes was made up of a lot of things but I think racism was well and truly in the mix.

Ultimately I'm just sad that a champion of the game was treated in the way that he was considering the respect I have for him and the enjoyment I've received in following his career.

Plenty of Hawks Heros have been bood fairly constantly and we take it as a badge of honour. Its the nature of the beast.

Goodes record stands on its own. I bet you hope Buddy can extend his career that long.

Goodes could already be a candidate for this Centuries AFL TOC because he was such a versatile player. Brereton (an oft bood hero) Has already declared Bud is a lock for a HFF. Hes probably right

I always maintain and AA or TOC type team should include a versatile player instead of a mid who missed a starting spot

Last edited:

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Plenty on here have commented on how Adam Goodes is such an intelligent and lovely person. So when Goodes started to realise that he was slowing a bit, getting on and what he could bring into his game to improve he came up with a brilliant idea. When seeing a 50/50 ball in dispute situation he started to slide in with his feet/knees/legs first, take out the opponents legs/body, get the ball and then dish it out to a team mate. While being protected by his +100kg frame, by his knees/legs sticking out on impact and while having no duty of care if he snaps the opponents legs or worse collide into their head while it’s over the ball. No skin off his nose. Gutless.

Far from clever not to consider that opposition supporters would start to boo him ..... massive oversight. He should have expected what was coming from opposition supporters by adopting such an extremely dangerous and dirty tactic. Big believer in life that everyone is responsible for their own actions and Goodes brought it upon himself. If the booing effected his mental health he needed to take time off to seek professional help no different to anyone else in the community. Compared to the average person Goodes would have much better access and the best support from the medical fraternity.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Plenty on here have commented on how Adam Goodes is such an intelligent and lovely person. So when Goodes started to realise that he was slowing a bit, getting on and what he could bring into his game to improve he came up with a brilliant idea. When seeing a 50/50 ball in dispute situation he started to slide in with his feet/knees/legs first, take out the opponents legs/body, get the ball and then dish it out to a team mate. While being protected by his +100kg frame, by his knees/legs sticking out on impact and while having no duty of care if he snaps the opponents legs or worse collide into their head while it’s over the ball. No skin off his nose. Gutless.

Far from clever not to consider that opposition supporters would start to boo him ..... massive oversight. He should have expected what was coming from opposition supporters by adopting such an extremely dangerous and dirty tactic. Big believer in life that everyone is responsible for their own actions and Goodes brought it upon himself. If the booing effected his mental health he needed to take time off to seek professional help no different to anyone else in the community. Compared to the average person Goodes would have much better access and the best support from the medical fraternity.

This actually has nil to do with the subject.

Let's not forget he wasn't just booed, and the boos continued once he was called a monkey by a teenage girl.

No doubt some innocently boo'ed him for the knee sliding et al, but there's really no need for those people to defend themselves. Then there's the people who cannot accept that any booing was racially motivated. There was a clear line crossed at a point and the boos kept coming.

Hell, I boo'ed him "because he was a flog", but that stopped as soon as it became a racial issue. Those who defend their right to boo in the face of that racial issue aren't respecting the situation or the person.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
. So when Goodes started to realise that he was slowing a bit, getting on and what he could bring into his game to improve he came up with a brilliant idea. When seeing a 50/50 ball in dispute situation he started to slide in with his feet/knees/legs first, take out the opponents legs/body, get the ball and then dish it out to a team mate.
Goodes slid in on a St Kilda player and once on his knees towards a Port player who was sliding studs up towards Goodes. Hardly the genius plan you're describing

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

and yet players who were far worse on the field in terms of behaviour were not booed. Judd eye gouged and chicken winged his opponents, and yet he was not booed every time he got the ball for the rest of his career.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Goodes slid in on a St Kilda player and once on his knees towards a Port player who was sliding studs up towards Goodes. Hardly the genius plan you're describing

Anything to justify their booing. Honestly, that sensory rich description of an EVIL GENUIS PLAN to become a EVIL KNEE SLIDER.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

Except that whole post was just some imaginary narrative you made up in your head. Don't sit there and tell me that was Goodes' conscious thought process. Tin foil hat stuff.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Except that whole post was just some imaginary narrative you made up in your head. Don't sit there and tell me that was Goodes' conscious thought process. Tin foil hat stuff.

You can stick that Tin foil hat where it fits. Your opinion counts and no one else can have one.

Goodes ended his career as a dirty player and for whatever stupid reason became a serial slider with his feet/knees/legs out first (he never did it in his previous +300 games). Thankfully he didn’t cause anyone a serious injury. If you think that’s an over reaction well that’s your opinion.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
So?

Let's also be a bit more accurate, a 13 year old girl.
Not sure Goodsey requested a birth certificate before pointing her out. Proud indigenous man gets called an ape during indigenous round of all rounds, decides not to cop it and instinctively reacts to it by pointing her out to security.

Next day not less than 28 times in one interview he deflects any blame towards the girl.

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Not sure Goodsey requested a birth certificate before pointing her out. Proud indigenous man gets called an ape during indigenous round of all rounds, decides not to cop it and instinctively reacts to it by pointing her out to security.

Next day not less than 28 times in one interview he deflects any blame towards the girl.

Evil knee man targets 13 year old girls especially. MUAHAHA

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some people might not like it, sure, but does that mean sport should never be political?

_103875106_gettyimages-514865956.jpg

Google 'courage' and 'conviction' and this photo should be the only one displayed. Might be the greatest photo in 20th century sports

Disgusting that Peter Norman was outcast by the Australian Olympic Committee after Mexico City for wearing that badge on his tracksuit in support of Smith and Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back