Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who called an indigenous player an ape. Seriously racist comment. On indigenous round nonetheless. Are you horrified at the level of ignorance? Are you proud of how far we have come?

Horrified? Are you serious?

I'm horrified whenever I hear about someone killing multiple people with weapons. I'm horrified when I see how little value is put on life around the globe, women abducted and sold into sex slavery, domestic violence and children being hurt and killed. I'm horrified at how drugs can destroy families.

But horrified of an ignorant 13 year old child calling someone an ape? No, not really and if anyone is truly 'horrified' by it then they are contributing to this ridiculous situation.

I've seen my kids being racially abused by adults, words far worse than an ignorant child calling someone an ape. I've dealt with it by educating my kids of their own self worth and showing them that they are in control of their own feelings, that ignorant people aren't able to affect them as people. None of this sooking and whining about how unfair life is.

Horrified, ffs, no wonder people has such low self worth in our society when there's people like you around.

Not sure Goodsey requested a birth certificate before pointing her out. Proud indigenous man gets called an ape during indigenous round of all rounds, decides not to cop it and instinctively reacts to it by pointing her out to security.

Next day not less than 28 times in one interview he deflects any blame towards the girl.

The so comment was actually relating to something else but i know you're unable to contain yourself, once again tell bigfooty about your agenda

I won't bother going into what he actually said, because that falls outside of your rose coloured view of reality

Yeah I recall Eddie Betts mentioning it. I think he said something along the lines of yeah it's disappointing and it still happens.

That level of calling out racism seems to be a nice comfortable level for Australia in general. It gives us the opportunity to shake our heads and say "that is bad", while at the same time knowing it will blow over quickly and resumtion of normal transmission is just around the corner. Phew.

Goodes' level of calling it out is a bit more uncomfortable, not so much in its aggression or otherwise, but in that he wants us to think about it a bit more. The quick return to status quo is not there. Yeah it's a bit uncomfortable but change (be in attitudes or anything else) often is.

That is the difference.
The whole point is that society IS changing. No one denies that it’s terrible the way aboriginal peoples have been treated in the past. But there is real change.

Goodes didn’t just highlight past atrocities, or the fight they have in today’s society. He said that white folks have raped, murdered and stolen his people for over 200 years and pointed a finger at all of us and said ‘You are still doing this to us and you don’t care.’

So many people being outraged without acknowledging that racism really isn’t accepted in today’s society, people are much more sensitive to cultural differences these days.

Goodes getting booed was due to many different reasons already outlined in this thread. He was a very devisive person both on field and off. He gave people many reasons to dislike him and it was only after the Eagles game when he took some time off, at the very end of his career when the media went berserk with the racism slant regarding the booing. Up until then there were numerous media commentators debating the issue on both sides.

The so comment was actually relating to something else but i know you're unable to contain yourself, once again tell bigfooty about your agenda

I won't bother going into what he actually said, because that falls outside of your rose coloured view of reality
Me and my sinister agenda.

You just said it hadn't since Goodes retired. Its happened multiple times each year.
No, I was just pointing out how with Goodesy gone, we're no longer at each other throats on social media and calling each other names. We've got back to celebrating footballers for their on field deeds and whinging about the umpiring. The Final Quarter documentary is released and he we are in another 70 page thread, calling each other names and arguing about this bullcrap

You once wrote a post to me in capital letters telling me to never speak to you again or some other hyper emotive response after I pointed out that you were ********ting.
I was probably on my rags. :eek:

I was "********ting" ? What's that?

You're hardly one to comment on how someone responds to one of dozens of instances of racism on their life.
It was interesting the change which came over Goodes after he became politicised.

For more than a decade, he turned the other cheek to what must've been dozens of racists sledges from over the fence. Never heard a peep about it from him. Not one. I never much liked him as a footballer, but I always respected the dignified, classy manner in which he conducted himself on & off the field..... and then he did a Tafe course on Indigenous Studies, he met with aboriginal political leaders and he posed like Nicky Winmar with his jumper lifted in the week leading up to THAT GAME vs Collingwood at the MCG.

Lo and behold... all of a sudden he hears a racist sledge from the crowd of 70,000 and points out a young girl who said "ape". She tearfully apologised to him the next day and told him she wasn't being racist when she said it. He probably could've let it go. But nah, this was his moment. He had to take a stand. He had to make a speech about the "face of racism" and imply she'd had a racist upbringing.

For every 10 people who thought he was fully justified, there were another 10 people who didn't like the way he handled that. They're not all racist either. All the soapbox heroes like Gerard Whateley can stick it up their arse for saying otherwise.

Last edited:
No, I was just pointing out how with Goodesy gone, we're no longer at each other throats on social media and calling each other names.
But that's not true, there have been multiple incidents of abuse on social media this year alone.

Lo and behold... all of a sudden he hears a racist sledge from the crowd of 70,000 and points out a young girl who said "ape". She tearfully apologised to him the next day and told him she wasn't being racist when she said it. He probably could've let it go.

Which he did. He said she needed support and understanding then didn't comment on it for...Christ knows, when WAS the next time he spoke about it?
For more than a decade, he turned the other cheek to what must've been dozens of racists sledges from over the fence. Never heard a peep about it from him. Not one. I never much liked him as a footballer, but I always respected the dignified, classy manner in which he conducted himself on & off the field..... and then he did a Tafe course on Indigenous Studies

Pretty ******* telling that you had a lot of time for him when he was being abused in silence but appear to have an issue when he speaks up.

Which he did. He said she needed support and understanding then didn't comment on it for...Christ knows, when WAS the next time he spoke about it?
Calling a press conference outside the MCG and making tearful prepared speeches to a hungry media scrum is not my idea of letting it go. She had told him she wasn't being racist. It was a kid's insult. (Big hairy muscled footballer = ape.) But Goodes pushed on ahead with his racism speech (probably just a coincidence he received Australian of the Year honours a few months later). He chose to conflate her childish insult with an antiquated racial slur.

Pretty ******* telling that you had a lot of time for him when he was being abused in silence but appear to have an issue when he speaks up.
No, not at all. I would've applauded him if he'd stood up to a cretin who racially abused him. I just think he overreacted to the innocent childish name-calling from a 12yo kid. I don't mean in the moment. I mean afterwards. After he'd spoken to her and she'd apologised and explained herself and denied it was coming from a racist angle. Goodes was a grade A knob for pushing ahead with his "face of racism" speech and falsely portraying her sledge as the product of the racist environment she'd grown up in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling a press conference outside the MCG and making tearful prepared speeches to a hungry media scrum is not my idea of letting it go. She had told him she wasn't being racist. It was a kid's insult. (Big hairy muscled footballer = ape.) But Goodes pushed on ahead with his racism speech (probably just a coincidence he received Australian of the Year honours a few months later). He chose to conflate her childish insult with an antiquated racial slur.

No, not at all. I would've applauded him if he'd stood up to a cretin who racially abused him. I just think he overreacted to the innocent childish name-calling from a 12yo kid. I don't mean in the moment. I mean afterwards. After he'd spoken to her and she'd apologised and explained herself and denied it was coming from a racist angle. Goodes was a grade A knob for pushing ahead with his "face of racism" speech and falsely portraying her sledge as the product of the racist environment she'd grown up in.
He did stand up to a cretin who racially abused him.

A 12 yr old kid knows what shes's doing when she calls a black man an ape.

Horrified? Are you serious?

I'm horrified whenever I hear about someone killing multiple people with weapons. I'm horrified when I see how little value is put on life around the globe, women abducted and sold into sex slavery, domestic violence and children being hurt and killed. I'm horrified at how drugs can destroy families.

But horrified of an ignorant 13 year old child calling someone an ape? No, not really and if anyone is truly 'horrified' by it then they are contributing to this ridiculous situation.

I've seen my kids being racially abused by adults, words far worse than an ignorant child calling someone an ape. I've dealt with it by educating my kids of their own self worth and showing them that they are in control of their own feelings, that ignorant people aren't able to affect them as people. None of this sooking and whining about how unfair life is.

Horrified, ffs, no wonder people has such low self worth in our society when there's people like you around.

Just because you’ve heard worse abuse than ‘ape’ doesn’t make it acceptable.
Good on you for teaching your kids self worth but if you think it’s that simple and solves the problems of inequality in Australia, well good luck.
I’m not so much horrified as disappointed, but asked you if you were ‘horrified’ because so many on here seem to be outraged that someone who gets ‘too many free kicks’ and is a ‘massive flog’ took exception to racial abuse.[/QUOTE]

Calling a press conference outside the MCG and making tearful prepared speeches to a hungry media scrum is not my idea of letting it go.
That didn't happen though.

No, not at all.
I mean, you actually said it, so...

falsely portraying her sledge as the product of the racist environment she'd grown up in.

So you're blaming the girl herself?

No, you're a dense campaigner, Kumspeck

You could have 100,000 Adam Goodeses holding up 100,000 mirrors to society and you will still get the odd peanut in a crowd of 30,000 who screams some racist bullshiit. That will always happen. The important thing is that mainstream Australia no longer tolerates nor turns a blind eye to this crap. People who yell that sort of crap are singled out by the crowd and turfed out of the stadium by security guards.

The problem was that Adam Goodes really wanted to be Nicky Winmar. He should've just stuck to being himself. Maybe then he wouldn't have overreacted to the benign name-calling from a 12yo girl and stirred up a race-row during his victory lap.

ba7dd7eb3f897a17a1034e079c3a5c2a--adam-goodes-st-kilda.jpg
Benign name-calling :tearsofjoy:

I don't buy the 'I boo'ed him because he is a flog' apologists. Not for one minute.

We have had countless disliked/dirty/annoying players in the game and NONE of them has been booed so mercilessly like Goodes. He was booed because he spoke up about aboriginal rights and also some unsavoury parts of our history. The fact that the booers won't admit there is a racial element makes it even sadder.

This is hilarious.
Thanks for proving my point

So you're blaming the girl herself?
Benign name-calling :tearsofjoy:
If you can get off your high horses and suspend your disbelief for 10 seconds and accept a 12yo girl at her word that she was simply calling him an ape because he was big, hairy and muscly, then it is benign name-calling. Sure, not very nice. Name-calling never is. But hardly the worst insult to put on a 191cm, 100kg footballer.

It's adults & teenagers who see the skin colour and put the racial twist on these things. She was a just a kid. Way too young to be racially abusing an indigenous footballer, to have that understanding or malicious intent, or even knowing the historical racist connotations of the word "ape" when used as an insult to an aboriginal person.

I remember reading the initial threads on here and seeing dozens & dozens of posts from younger people who had no idea that "ape" could even be a racist sledge. They'd never ever heard it used like that. But all the virtue-signalling flogs immediately piled on the girl, saying "Of course she knew what she was saying!" Or they said, "She must have picked it up from her racist parents!"

FMD.... :rolleyes:

Maybe she was just a kid calling a big hairy brawny man an ape for the same reason I did a few times when I was a kid. Because he looked like one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back