Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He did stand up to a cretin who racially abused him.

A 12 yr old kid knows what shes's doing when she calls a black man an ape.
Rubbish.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ape

noun
1) any of a group of anthropoid primates characterized by long arms, a broad chest, and the absence of a tail, comprising the family Pongidae (great ape), which includes the chimpanzee, gorilla, and orangutan, and the family Hylobatidae (lesser ape), which includes the gibbon and siamang.
2) (loosely) any primate except humans.
3) an imitator; mimic.
4) Informal. a big, ugly, clumsy person.

Last edited:

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
This is hilarious.
Thanks for proving my point
Garry Ablett may not agree with you as he's getting his fair share of booing at present also, so it's not always about racism. There are many reasons why players are booed, but Adam Goodes had to turn it into racism. Anyway who are you to tell me or others what our reasons are for booing -.you can believe what you want (that's your prerogative) but that doesn't make it true!

smelly cat

All Australian
Dec 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Garry Ablett may not agree with you as he's getting his fair share of booing at present also, so it's not always about racism. There are many reasons why players are booed, but Adam Goodes had to turn it into racism. Anyway who are you to tell me or others what our reasons are for booing -.you can believe what you want (that's your prerogative) but that doesn't make it true!

This works better if you read what I've posted

I find this post and ones like it funny.

There are people on this thread who literally booed Goodes, and are telling you why they were booing him. And instead of listening and even attempting to understand, you dismiss it all and give your own reasoning.

What's it like to be so sure of your own opinion that you can just ignore the opinions of those who disagree with you? And just tell people how they feel and why they do what they do?

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I find this post and ones like it funny.

There are people on this thread who literally booed Goodes, and are telling you why they were booing him. And instead of listening and even attempting to understand, you dismiss it all and give your own reasoning.
I do struggle to understand why people in this thread started randomly booing him for incidents that occured years earlier, particularly when there were players who did worse things both on and off the field. I haven't actually read a post outlining that here yet

Adam Goodes had to turn it into racism.

When and how did he do that, exactly?

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
This actually has nil to do with the subject.

Let's not forget he wasn't just booed, and the boos continued once he was called a monkey by a teenage girl.

No doubt some innocently boo'ed him for the knee sliding et al, but there's really no need for those people to defend themselves. Then there's the people who cannot accept that any booing was racially motivated. There was a clear line crossed at a point and the boos kept coming.

Hell, I boo'ed him "because he was a flog", but that stopped as soon as it became a racial issue. Those who defend their right to boo in the face of that racial issue aren't respecting the situation or the person.
So you booed goodes but stopped when it became a racial issue. At what point did it become a racial issue?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I do struggle to understand why people in this thread started randomly booing him for incidents that occured years earlier, particularly when there were players who did worse things both on and off the field. I haven't actually read a post outlining that here yet

Oh FFS it's already been explained multiple times why booing increased later in his career dozens of times.

Max Caddy

Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh FFS it's already been explained multiple times why booing increased later in his career dozens of times.

It increased after he:
- won Australian of the year
- began speaking out on indigenous issues
- called out a supporter for racial abuse
- was made a pariah by conservative media
- made a spear throwing dance to the Carlton cheer squad

It also increased after people were asked not too boo because it was clearly affecting his mental health and breaking the man. But as we've seen on BigFooty people have the right to act like campaigners and do whatever the * they want to do eh?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It increased after he:

It also increased after people were asked not too boo because it was clearly affecting his mental health and breaking the man. But as we've seen on BigFooty people have the right to act like campaigners and do whatever the **** they want to do eh?

And you forgot the BIGGEST one.

It increased after the AFL told crowds they're not allowed to boo a player, which incensed many people who thought the AFL had no right to do that so they decided to start booing. Where did Goodes ask people not to boo him? I was never aware he said that at the time and I'm sure many people weren't aware he said that.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
So you booed goodes but stopped when it became a racial issue. At what point did it become a racial issue?

That’s a personal question I guess. When i realised that me booing was fanning an already existing issue.

Point?

smelly cat

All Australian
Dec 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Rubbish.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ape

noun
1) any of a group of anthropoid primates characterized by long arms, a broad chest, and the absence of a tail, comprising the family Pongidae (great ape), which includes the chimpanzee, gorilla, and orangutan, and the family Hylobatidae (lesser ape), which includes the gibbon and siamang.
2) (loosely) any primate except humans.
3) an imitator; mimic.
4) Informal. a big, ugly, clumsy person.

This is interesting. Number 4 is quite offensive, but if I call someone "big, ugly and clumsy" that is not racist.

Still, even if the 13yo meant it that way, there is enough history with that term to understand Goodes' interpretation

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Tall poppy syndrome. No other player was elevated in the community to AOTY and portrayed as the virtuous symbol and person that Goodes was.

Other players are simply thugs without being portrayed differently away from the game.

Goodes conduct on the field did not match the persona that was portrayed away from the game. People saw through it and made their thoughts vocal.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It increased after he:

It also increased after people were asked not too boo because it was clearly affecting his mental health and breaking the man. But as we've seen on BigFooty people have the right to act like campaigners and do whatever the **** they want to do eh?

I’ll address your points
- only by Hawthorn fans as I’m sure that’s highlighted in the documentary. The 2014 GF and in Rd 8 2015.
I think they were upset Crawford didn’t get a look in. Booing prior to this was not at the excessive levels yet.
- no
- no
- possibly
- it was already under way. The spear was just another excuse for the masses.

It increased after the AFL told crowds they're not allowed to boo a player, which incensed many people who thought the AFL had no right to do that so they decided to start booing. Where did Goodes ask people not to boo him? I was never aware he said that at the time and I'm sure many people weren't aware he said that.

Yeah other than the hawks games, it increased once the media, namely Mark Robinson concluded it was race based.
We had not heard Goodes say that at all at that point.
The booing got attention and grew legs and really was just mob mentality booing as the individual reasons people give for booing does not equal those excessive boos.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah other than the hawks games, it increased once the media, namely Mark Robinson concluded it was race based.
We had not heard Goodes say that at all at that point.
The booing got attention and grew legs and really was just mob mentality booing as the individual reasons people give for booing does not equal those excessive boos.

I recently went back and read contemporaneous posts on a Swans forum to determine when we started talking about it.

It became apparent sometime during the 2014 season and pretty much by the start of 2015 was consistent, persistent, loud and clear, even loud enough at the SCG from (presumably) visiting supporters. It most certainly wasn't kicked off after the 2015 indigenous round game, as some have suggested. I can't recall if it got noticeably louder after the media started to talk about it. It was already loud and persistent before then - a few extra booers were largely irrelevant.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Tall poppy syndrome. No other player was elevated in the community to AOTY and portrayed as the virtuous symbol and person that Goodes was.

Other players are simply thugs without being portrayed differently away from the game.

Goodes conduct on the field did not match the persona that was portrayed away from the game. People saw through it and made their thoughts vocal.

I think we're starting to get closer to the truth - ie that it had next to nothing to do with his onfield behaviour. From where you get the idea that his appointment as Australian of the Year amounted to him being portrayed as some virtuous symbol, I have no idea. He was a man with a high profile, from his sporting achievements, who the AOY panel thought also had something socially relevant to say, arising from his various activities in the community, particularly around indigenous issues and racism. He certainly wasn't made AOY because he'd never conceded a free kick in his life.

People can be strange when it comes to the AOY. Most would proclaim they don't care anything about it. I doubt many could name more than a handful of AOYs for the past couple of decades - especially those who weren't sportsmen (eg two Australian cricket captains, Rafter, Goodes). It's not intended to be a "lifetime achievement award". It's just a way of giving someone a formal platform for a year to engage in conversations about a relevant issue. (Though admittedly, I am not sure what "relevant issue" Steve Waugh's platform was for.) Most of the recipients don't have a high enough profile outside their profession for most people to take much notice. And yet a large number - explicitly so amongst certain sections of the conservative media - seemed to take great offence at the appointment of Goodes.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I recently went back and read contemporaneous posts on a Swans forum to determine when we started talking about it.

It became apparent sometime during the 2014 season and pretty much by the start of 2015 was consistent, persistent, loud and clear, even loud enough at the SCG from (presumably) visiting supporters. It most certainly wasn't kicked off after the 2015 indigenous round game, as some have suggested. I can't recall if it got noticeably louder after the media started to talk about it. It was already loud and persistent before then - a few extra booers were largely irrelevant.

Interesting
Can you direct me to some of those threads? Not doubting you as it’s interesting to get swans fans perspective.
I went to the 2014 GF, Round 6 2015 and well watched on TV Round 8 2015 vs hawks.
This is why my perception of hawthorn fans booing him to extraordinary levels stands out.
Booing did occur in other games but not near that level.
A few extra booers isn’t how I saw it, more thousands and much more vitriol.
That’s why the issue got raised when it did and some journos saw it as a great way to get some articles read by labeling it racism (not Goodes) and boy oh boy that worked well.
Once it was pointed out as racism people took offence and every clubs fans just went nuts at him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Max Caddy

Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

Maybe you should actually read my post - I referenced that point specifically.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given that this post is so politically motivated many here would be pleased to hear some breaking news .... the Qld govt has given the go ahead to the Adani project. Great news for jobs in Qld 👍

I'd been booing him for years prior to when this blew up ;). I've already said I don't discriminate on race, if you're a football flog (plead for free kicks, attempt to hit players on/off the ball) I'll boo you until the cows come home.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Given that this post is so politically motivated many here would be pleased to hear some breaking news .... the Qld govt has given the go ahead to the Adani project. Great news for jobs in Qld 👍

woooo 100 jobs

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
I'd been booing him for years prior to when this blew up ;). I've already said I don't discriminate on race, if you're a football flog (plead for free kicks, attempt to hit players on/off the ball) I'll boo you until the cows come home.
Did it feel weird booing Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back