Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was talking about your use of a word not the booing of Goodes, which I have already had my say on. And while i am very clever, I'm not sure genius is correct.

But you're ok with someone calling someone else stupid?
Well, viewed against the appalling consequences of hateful lies being told by a powerful media figure about innocent people... I'm OK with it.

Surprised you had to ask.

Some serious back-to-front morality on display on this thread at times.

(eg My heart again goes out to all those poor widdle Carlton-supporting wacists who got so upset by that big scawey man doing a twaditional dance at them.)

Can you please join the dots? Your point is that dead people who were also white did racist things makes it more likely booing goodies in 2019 is racist.. If that isn't your point then what is?
Glad you asked.

My point is that given the well-documented history of appalling racism in this country (some of which is by no means ancient history) there's a fair chance that at least some of the booing against Goodes was racially-driven.

But for some people, their sacred right to boo takes precedence.

For those people, being called racist is apparently far worse than doing something that might well be construed as racist.

Glad you asked.

My point is that given the well-documented history of appalling racism in this country (some of which is by no means ancient history) there's a fair chance that at least some of the booing against Goodes was racially-driven.

But for some people, their sacred right to boo takes precedence.

For those people, being called racist is apparently far worse than doing something that might well be construed as racist.
i think its because people are being accused as racist as there is now way we can prove who is booing for racost reasons without them stating that they are. thats why people who make this claim are getting abused

View attachment 707039

What, about anything I said in my last post to you, gave you the impression that you'd hit a raw nerve?
The fact that I addressed most of your points and yet in your reply you described it as a crude and inexact post.

View attachment 707039

Not very often it seems, if your almost 10,000 posts on a footy forum is anything to go by.
I'm sorry, I will definitely try in future to make myself more available to rebut those of your posts that I see as being wrongheaded.

Cheers mate.

Oh please. He was the only aboriginal player I know of that got completely booed by every team all the time. That to me says it was because they disliked him as a person not because he was aboriginal otherwise those same people would have always booed Buddy, Cyril and the like also. Good bye.
If you dont agree and want to defend your past player good luck because I can't be bothered anymore.
Very scientific post. Sample size of 1.

And racists are, of course, well know for their scrupulous adherence to fairness and consistency at all times.

Like I said, there is plenty of statistical analysis out there that makes a mockery of your thesis.

This has been one of the most talked-about affairs in modern sport in this country. There is no excuse for not availing yourelf of the copius analysis that has been done.

PS this is far bigger than "defending my past player". Clearly mindless tribalism is as far as it ever goes for you.

Well, viewed against the appalling consequences of hateful lies being told by a powerful media figure about innocent people... I'm OK with it.

Surprised you had to ask.

Some serious back-to-front morality on display on this thread at times.

(eg My heart again goes out to all those poor widdle Carlton-supporting wacists who got so upset by that big scawey man doing a twaditional dance at them.)
As i thought.

In a thread about abuse you seem ok with people here abusing, but appalled at Goode's abuse.

And that's ok, just gives off a bit of suspicion that you are only here to defend a player from your club.

I could be wrong, but you seem a tad hypocritical.

i think its because people are being accused as racist as there is now way we can prove who is booing for racost reasons without them stating that they are. thats why people who make this claim are getting abused
I don't think it's that hard to get one's head around the notion that saying some people are probably being racist doesn't mean saying all people are being racist.

And if I, for one, did something that might be construed as racist? I'd propably stop doing it.

But that's just me.

As i thought.

In a thread about abuse you seem ok with people here abusing, but appalled at Goode's abuse.

And that's ok, just gives off a bit of suspicion that you are only here to defend a player from your club.

I could be wrong, but you seem a tad hypocritical.
Yes, you'd be quite wrong.

This is much bigger than what club someone played for.

Are you seriously equating one anonymous poster on an internet forum calling another 'stupid", with Andrew Bolt using his national media presence to call certain representatives of an entire race of people liars, because of their race?

Yes, you'd be quite wrong.

This is much bigger than what club someone played for.

Are you seriously equating one anonymous poster on an internet forum calling another 'stupid", with Andrew Bolt using his national media presence to call certain representatives of an entire race of people liars, because of their race?
Why are you trying turn around what the abuse was for?

Go read the convo.

He was abused because he was accused of not understanding, when the abuser was the one that didn't understand.

But that's ok, abuse is ok in your eyes, just as long as it's not against a player from the club you support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you trying turn around what the abuse was for?

Go read the convo.

He was abused because he was accused of not understanding, when the abuser was the one that didn't understand.

But that's ok, abuse is ok in your eyes, just as long as it's not against a player from the club you support.
Discussion was about what Andrew Bolt was found guilty of saying.

Certain people hijacked the thread for several pages with a hair-splitting distraction about the (in this case) irrelevant differences between "found guilty" and "convicted".

If someone got called "stupid" in the course of that, it's not really the main event, is it?

And please just drop this dumb allusion to the club people support. Some things, you might already know, are bigger than footy.

Discussion was about what Andrew Bolt was found guilty of saying.

Certain people hijacked the thread for several pages with a hair-splitting distraction about the (in this case) irrelevant differences between "found guilty" and "convicted".

If someone got called "stupid" in the course of that, it's not really the main event, is it?

And please just drop this dumb allusion to the club people support. Some things, you might already know, are bigger than footy.
No, the discussion was about conviction, no one denied he was found guilty.

You want me to drop the allusion, then stop alluding.

Very scientific post. Sample size of 1.

And racists are, of course, well know for their scrupulous adherence to fairness and consistency at all times.

Like I said, there is plenty of statistical analysis out there that makes a mockery of your thesis.

This has been one of the most talked-about affairs in modern sport in this country. There is no excuse for not availing yourelf of the copius analysis that has been done.

PS this is far bigger than "defending my past player". Clearly mindless tribalism is as far as it ever goes for you.
Yes most talked about? That's mine and other people's thoughts of why it wasn't racial booing. It was talked about a lot because he is an attention seeker and made it all about him and didn't want to admit it was because people just didn't like him.

Yes most talked about? That's mine and other people's thoughts of why it wasn't racial booing. It was talked about a lot because he is an attention seeker and made it all about him and didn't want to admit it was because people just didn't like him.
Do you think any of it was racial booing? Or was it all because people didn't like him?

The fact that I addressed most of your points and yet in your reply you described it as a crude and inexact post.

Went over the top of your head did it? Mate, when your IQ gets to 50 you should definitely sell, as quickly as you can. :)

I'll run through it for you. In response to your comment below ....

Thanks for your detailed and nuanced post. I disagree with much of it.

.... I fired back with ....

Puzzled by your use of the word 'nuanced' here. ... thanks for your crude and inexact post, I disagree with virtually all of it.

At this point I won't fill in the rest of the blanks, it should be pretty obvious. I will leave you with a clue though, just in case it isn't. Can you think of some antonyms for 'nuanced'?

I'm sorry, I will definitely try in future to make myself more available to rebut those of your posts that I see as being wrongheaded.

Cheers mate.

That's the spirit!

Cheers yourself. :D:thumbsu:

if there are any WW2 ex POW’s that we’re tortured by the Japanese reading this thread, thank God every day for the rest of your life that you were never booed on a football field while making hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Your so lucky that you’ll never know what true pain and suffering feels like

I think it was because people didn't like him. People can say all they like but there was a reason it was only him.

But why didn’t they like him? He had a few dodgy acts in 378 games but certainly wasn’t the dirtiest player going around. No issues with the law, no mistreating women, generally pretty mild mannered, gracious and polite in interviews when talking, about footy, the opposition, life in general.

There is only one thing he did where he differed or stood out and that was calling out racism both when he was on the field and when he wasn’t. For many (not all) that is why they don’t like (maybe even subconsciously for many). That is why there is a racial aspect to the booing and why the fact that other indigenous players weren’t booed means nothing (if anything it reinforces the above).

Happy to hear why I’m wrong and why else people dislike him so much more than anyone else in the AFL (and let’s face it there are some pretty unlikeable characters out there).

But why didn’t they like him? He had a few dodgy acts in 378 games but certainly wasn’t the dirtiest player going around. No issues with the law, no mistreating women, generally pretty mild mannered, gracious and polite in interviews when talking, about footy, the opposition, life in general.

There is only one thing he did where he differed or stood out and that was calling out racism both when he was on the field and when he wasn’t. For many (not all) that is why they don’t like (maybe even subconsciously for many). That is why there is a racial aspect to the booing and why the fact that other indigenous players weren’t booed means nothing (if anything it reinforces the above).

Happy to hear why I’m wrong and why else people dislike him so much more than anyone else in the AFL (and let’s face it there are some pretty unlikeable characters out there).
Probably best if you think about it a bit more.

Do you think all that booed him were racists?

If not, what were they booing him for, do you think it was just because everyone else was?

I doubt that, the booing had to start somewhere, and i don't think a few booing would ignite a whole crowd.

It seemed to me when people were told if you boo you are racist is when it got worse.

Think about that.

Ah well that settles that then.

It does for me.

Imagine thinking: "gorilla" and: "ape" were even remotely interchangeable as racist terms of abuse.

You can use hyperbole all you like. I can use it in the other direction. Imagine thinking: "gorilla" and: "ape" mean exactly the same thing.

Probably best if you think about it a bit more.

Do you think all that booed him were racists?

If not, what were they booing him for, do you think it was just because everyone else was?

I doubt that, the booing had to start somewhere, and i don't think a few booing would ignite a whole crowd.

It seemed to me when people were told if you boo you are racist is when it got worse.

Think about that.

I’ve heard this before in this thread and it’s the most bizarre mixing of cause and effect.

“People only booed because they were told not to.” Think about that for one second... why were they told not to? What happened to cause that? Booing of course.

What started the booing? The AFL and media didn’t all just come out one day and say the booing of Goodes has to stop on the back of nothing. It came on the back of multiple weeks of noticeable, booing unrelated to any football indiscretions.

So what started the booing??? Think about that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve heard this before in this thread and it’s the most bizarre mixing of cause and effect.

“People only booed because they were told not to.” Think about that for one second... why were they told not to? What happened to cause that? Booing of course.

What started the booing? The AFL and media didn’t all just come out one day and say the booing of Goodes has to stop on the back of nothing. It came on the back of multiple weeks of noticeable, booing unrelated to any football indiscretions.

So what started the booing??? Think about that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It sounds like you have made up your mind then.

So why are you asking the same question over and over and over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back