Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
BushTV Untold Stories:
Graham Vivian "Polly" Farmer, MBE.

Recognising the profound contribution Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have made to Australia. Produced for the Recognise campaign appearing on the ABC. More information at bushtv.com.au or www.recognise.org.au

Graham "Polly" Farmer Foundation: pff.com.au

Wikipedia: Graham Farmer

Last edited:

The other player in the photo is Paul Vinar (the Swede)mentioned in the commentary Polly was only 10 stone,that's wrong more like 14 or 15 stone although he'd have been 10 stone as as 14 year old I guess.Thanks Hotty for posting brings back fond memories.
Was a fairly handy side he stepped into.

Reference_ 1963 VFL Grand Final
1963 VFL Grand Final - Winning Team (Geelong) Boyles Football Photos.png

Fond memories, YPO? We may have frequented the same changerooms in those days :think:

Last edited:
Saw all of Seniors career and did manage to see Polly but only as a young kid - but even as a young kid I remember him having an aura on the field.
Stating the obvious but he and Billy provided much inspiration when kicking the sock footy around at home watching the Winners :thumbsu:
Saw a fair bit of Sam N - could play a bit as well :)
Didn't Vinar play Full back and from memory I think he kicked an 80M monster torp on Champion Kick segment on World of Sport ?

Was a fairly handy side he stepped into.

View attachment 501503

Fond memories, YPO? We may have frequented the same changerooms in those days :think:
Scary seems like yesterday,My dad was a pastry cook and started work early so was in bed early,Thursday nights I'd lie in bed listening to the Astor transistor radio tuned to 3GL to get the Saturday side for him,I'd wright it down and leave it beside the toaster we called the flying nun because of the huge handles it had on the doors,non of this pop up stuff.Great time to have lived,life was simple and you made your own fun.

Scary seems like yesterday,My dad was a pastry cook and started work early so was in bed early,Thursday nights I'd lie in bed listening to the Astor transistor radio tuned to 3GL to get the Saturday side for him,I'd wright it down and leave it beside the toaster we called the flying nun because of the huge handles it had on the doors,non of this pop up stuff.Great time to have lived,life was simple and you made your own fun.
What, no crystal set?

Saw all of Seniors career and did manage to see Polly but only as a young kid - but even as a young kid I remember him having an aura on the field.
Stating the obvious but he and Billy provided much inspiration when kicking the sock footy around at home watching the Winners :thumbsu:
Saw a fair bit of Sam N - could play a bit as well :)
Didn't Vinar play Full back and from memory I think he kicked an 80M monster torp on Champion Kick segment on World of Sport ?
I seem to remember, Backs: Rosenow-West-Vinar at some point. But having lost my memory in '97, recall is sometimes scratchy. You are correct on Vinar's torps however. He could launch them. Just as Billy could knock a leading forward over with a stab pass. I often laugh when people say Sam was 'soft'. I remember when he injured an elbow and came back wearing a guard, which he used to advantage on opponent's chins ;)

I seem to remember, Backs: Rosenow-West-Vinar at some point. But having lost my memory in '97, recall is sometimes scratchy. You are correct on Vinar's torps however. He could launch them. Just as Billy could knock a leading forward over with a stab pass. I often laugh when people say Sam was 'soft'. I remember when he injured an elbow and came back wearing a guard, which he used to advantage on opponent's chins ;)
Famous for his drop kick,not sure about the torp.

My first footy hero, what a player he was. Not much more than six feet tall and an expert at ruck craft and it was polly that changed the use of handball forever. Great memories!!
I still remember EJ's flick pass. Polly made handball an art-form. Then Barassi destroyed the game with it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other player in the photo is Paul Vinar (the Swede)mentioned in the commentary Polly was only 10 stone,that's wrong more like 14 or 15 stone although he'd have been 10 stone as as 14 year old I guess.Thanks Hotty for posting brings back fond memories.
You're right about his build when he came over here, but he was much, much lighter at the start of his career in WA, there were some Youtube clips of him around at some stage, he was a pretty quick runner as well early on. I seem to remember that Brett was pretty lightly built at the start of his career, too.

Farmer legacy a source of pride.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/farmer-legacy-a-source-of-pride-ng-b88827757z

AN INTIMATE journey back through the life of Graham “Polly” Farmer will remain a special legacy for the family of arguably the greatest footballer to ever pull on the boots.

The revealing documentary, to be screened on NITV on May 30, 2018, is one of four broadcasts — which also feature Barry Cable, Nicky Winmar and brothers Jim and Phil Krakouer — under the banner Nyoongar Footy Magic.

Inspired by the 2005 selecting of the Indigenous Team of the Century, some of the game’s most famous identities chose a Noongar Team of the Century, featuring many of WA’s greatest football champions.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/farmer-legacy-a-source-of-pride-ng-b88827757z

DVD Release Date ‐ 30/05/18 - Price $19.98
Nyoongar Footy Magic: A Team Of Champions

Last edited:
Geelong’s Jamaine Jones to debut against all odds after ‘making giant strides in the last four or five years’.

FoxSports Link To Story: https://bit.ly/2koFKsv
“It’s a rare story” according to Cats coach Chris Scott, with the 19-year-old small forward named to make his debut against Carlton on Saturday night. It’s a dream come true for the tackling machine who has worked hard to get to where he is, having been adopted out of foster care as a child.
FoxSports Link To Story: https://bit.ly/2koFKsv

c1ba7990947ed0dd346b525297fde1ca.jpg

So it's Djilang Round for us, Djilang means Geelong.

Geelong Cats raise awareness of shared histories, cultures + achievements by Aboriginal people, ahead of Reconciliation Week.

Players will wear the names of their countries on the back of their guernseys.

AFL
  • Brandan Parfitt - Larrakia/Yawuru/Warramungu - NT;
  • Tim Kelly - Noongar - WA
  • Jamaine Jones - Barkindji - NSW
VFL
Quinton Narkle - Noongar/Wajuk/Balardung - WA

-A9F8-7958F3F95F219BFCCDE5610F-B7EA-B851-FEBC5782639085D43front_Hero_Online1.jpg
0A771669-9F20-6DF8-052A65521A75FD20ScreenShot2018-05-21at1.39.10pm.jpg

Designed by Nathan Patterson

Elements of the design:
Centre piece represents a meeting place (the U shapes & Circle)
In the circle is a silhouette of the YouYangs, below the mountains is the Barwon River, which flows into the Ocean
Behind the YouYangs is the rising Sun, representing Kardinia Park which in Waddawurrung language means "the First Rays of Light"
The Dotwork in the hoops symbolises the Saltwater and in the white is the symbol for freshwater/running water.

Djilang is the Aboriginal word for Geelong of the Wathaurong people, or Wadda Wurrung language they say 'kim barne barre Wadda Wurrung'- this is the land of the Wadda Warrung.

Djilang has a meaning similar to “a place of the sea bird over the white cliffs”.
'Kardinia' meaning 'Sunrise' in the Aboriginal language.
Both have beautiful meanings.

Geelong Cats runs a programme - Djilang Programme, where local Aboriginal children explore + celebrate their culture through art.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwigtpf_waDbAhUCmpQKHc8jALYQFggnMAA&url=http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-05-23/cats-djilang-program-an-artful-success-&usg=AOvVaw2l8ei65rZtz3BrzLm3p_IM

I really loved the symbolism in the Geelong guernsey for Djilang Round.

Also, Jamaine Jones playing, well debuting this round has great meaning, when you consider he was given away for adoption, spent four years in a Mildura group home + was adopted by a loving family. Now playing for Geelong, it's a story of success from adversity. Too many Aborigines live in dreadful circumstances, unable to break the cycle of despair. Jamaine's story is inspiring + I just wish him the greatest happiness in life.

So it's Djilang Round for us, Djilang means Geelong.

Geelong Cats raise awareness of shared histories, cultures + achievements by Aboriginal people, ahead of Reconciliation Week.

Players will wear the names of their countries on the back of their guernseys.

AFL
  • Brandan Parfitt - Larrakia/Yawuru/Warramungu - NT;
  • Tim Kelly - Noongar - WA
  • Jamaine Jones - Barkindji - NSW
VFL
Quinton Narkle - Noongar/Wajuk/Balardung - WA

-A9F8-7958F3F95F219BFCCDE5610F-B7EA-B851-FEBC5782639085D43front_Hero_Online1.jpg
0A771669-9F20-6DF8-052A65521A75FD20ScreenShot2018-05-21at1.39.10pm.jpg

Designed by Nathan Patterson

Elements of the design:
Centre piece represents a meeting place (the U shapes & Circle)
In the circle is a silhouette of the YouYangs, below the mountains is the Barwon River, which flows into the Ocean
Behind the YouYangs is the rising Sun, representing Kardinia Park which in Waddawurrung language means "the First Rays of Light"
The Dotwork in the hoops symbolises the Saltwater and in the white is the symbol for freshwater/running water.

Djilang is the Aboriginal word for Geelong of the Wathaurong people, or Wadda Wurrung language they say 'kim barne barre Wadda Wurrung'- this is the land of the Wadda Warrung.

Djilang has a meaning similar to “a place of the sea bird over the white cliffs”.
'Kardinia' meaning 'Sunrise' in the Aboriginal language.
Both have beautiful meanings.

Geelong Cats runs a programme - Djilang Programme, where local Aboriginal children explore + celebrate their culture through art.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwigtpf_waDbAhUCmpQKHc8jALYQFggnMAA&url=http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-05-23/cats-djilang-program-an-artful-success-&usg=AOvVaw2l8ei65rZtz3BrzLm3p_IM

I really loved the symbolism in the Geelong guernsey for Djilang Round.

Also, Jamaine Jones playing, well debuting this round has great meaning, when you consider he was given away for adoption, spent four years in a Mildura group home + was adopted by a loving family. Now playing for Geelong, it's a story of success from adversity. Too many Aborigines live in dreadful circumstances, unable to break the cycle of despair. Jamaine's story is inspiring + I just wish him the greatest happiness in life.

I like the guernsey too - interestingly its the 2017 design re-implemented. I wonder if the club is going to move to changing the design less frequently than other clubs, keeping them for a few years before creating a new one.

I like the guernsey too - interestingly its the 2017 design re-implemented. I wonder if the club is going to move to changing the design less frequently than other clubs, keeping them for a few years before creating a new one.

Good pick-up Landraft!

Also the 2016 Guernsey
indig_front%5B2%5D.jpg

indigjump_hero.jpg

You're right Landgraft, can't see any difference between 2017 + 2018. That's disappointing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back