Resource Indigenous Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Did not know that Gary Malarkey was aboriginal
Neither did I, but he's definitely named in that Noongar Team of Champions, and listed as an indigenous player in Wikipedia.

He is also the Indigenous Education Co-ordinator at his school, Trinity College.

Must be considered awfully stiff to miss out on the Indigenous Team of the Century (to Darrel White, if you don't mind, umpire!!); not to mention the Italian Team of the Century, for which he was also nominated but failed to make the cut.

jim boy + FredLeDeux - Thanks for the memory jog. That is something I had not thought about since the mid 70's. Would have seen him play most games. I often spent post-match autopsy in deep discussion over a late-night card game in Newtown, where someone generally raised our indigenous players and club heritage.

Your posts caused me to revisit some facts. I did not know Gary played his first senior league game for East Perth, on the great Denis Marshall.

So it Djilang round again..

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-05-29/cats-set-to-celebrate-djilang-round

Cats set to celebrate Djilang Round
Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.57.58 pm.png

The Geelong Cats will celebrate their eighth annual Djilang Round when they take on the Swans at GMHBA Stadium this weekend.

Djilang is the Wadawurrung word for Geelong.

During Djilang Round, the club will recognise the impact of our nation’s first people on our great game of Australian Rules Football.

The Geelong Cats will celebrate their eighth annual Djilang Round when they take on the Swans at GMHBA Stadium this weekend.

During Djilang Round, the club will recognise the impact of our nation’s first people on our great game of Australian Rules Football.

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-05-29/cats-set-to-celebrate-djilang-round

So if Djilang is the word for Geelong .... where did the Geelong name come from?

Those of us who got to see Gaz Snr & Polly are blessed. Although as an older relative keeps reminding me, "You never got to see Coleman!"

Funny...my old man said the same. He ranked Coleman above the rest...he was around to see Polly, GaS, Carey and Mathews but always lamented that we never got the chance to see Coleman complete his career.

Polly was a hero in Geelong and yes, we had great players in that 63 side (what a half backline that was)...but Polly stood supreme....

Before his time really....

So it Djilang round again..

Cats set to celebrate Djilang Round
View attachment 682954

So if Djilang is the word for Geelong .... where did the Geelong name come from?
Geelong is an adaption of djilang. If you stretch it out and make the d silent it sounds like geelong. The white settlers must have heard it as geelong.

Geelong is an adaption of djilang. If you stretch it out and make the d silent it sounds like geelong. The white settlers must have heard it as geelong.
Thanks for that. There must be some sort of revision in that... the written language with the alphabet we know is not something used (as far as I know) pre the arrival of settlers.. so the revision of the spelling must be attempt of some sort to attempt to correct an error of some sort. As you say it must revolve around what was heard somehow.

Thanks for that. There must be some sort of revision in that... the written language with the alphabet we know is not something used (as far as I know) pre the arrival of settlers.. so the revision of the spelling must be attempt of some sort to attempt to correct an error of some sort. As you say it must revolve around what was heard somehow.

With no written language, their words were just recorded how the english believed they sounded i guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back