Indigenous players for the 2017 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
It is time I started this thread for 2017 being Naidoc week and all. Help me out if you know of any I have missed, because there does not seem to be a lot around this year.

Joel Garner, 18yrs, Vic. 183 cm. 81 kg. Balanced Mid.

Zac Bailey. " " N.T. 180 " 68 " Mid.

Dominic Grant. " " " 189 " 77 " Mid.

Jake Patmore " " W.A. 182 " 79 " Small Def.

Ethan Penrith. " " Vic. 179 " Small Def/Mid

Adam Sambono 20yrs. N.T. 188" 65" Small Fwd

Tyrone Hayes. 18 " Vic. 175" Small Def.

Xavier Cubillo. 18 " N.T. 179. 76"

Tim Kelly. 22" W.A. 183cm Small Fwd. Mid.

Ian Milera 20" S,A. 171" Small Fwd

Aiden Domic. 18" Vic. 185 Outside Mid.

David Smith 17 yrs Vic 180. 72 Outside mid.

Liam Ryan 20 " W.A. 184. 76kg Small Fwd.

Last edited:

IMO Liam Ryan (WAFL) deserves a shot at it this year, only 20 years old 184cm, 76kg. Would take him in a heartbeat with a 3rd/4th round main draft pick, huge upside. http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/6371

2016- 16 games, 40 goals.
2017- 13 games, 41 goals.

Endurance is a factor but if he wants it I'm sure this would improve in an AFL environment.

IMO Liam Ryan (WAFL) deserves a shot at it this year, only 20 years old 184cm, 76kg. Would take him in a heartbeat with a 3rd/4th round main draft pick, huge upside. http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/6371

2016- 16 games, 40 goals.
2017- 13 games, 41 goals.

Endurance is a factor but if he wants it I'm sure this would improve in an AFL environment.
He couldn't hit a 10.0 on the beep test after a season playing WAFL footy last year so the upside on him when fit is massive

He couldn't hit a 10.0 on the beep test after a season playing WAFL footy last year so the upside on him when fit is massive
Yep, doing what he is doing with low endurance at that level is very impressive. I didn't know his beep was that low, that's terrible, I'm 57 and I think I could get pretty close to 10. As long as our recruitment/welfare staff did their due diligence at the interview re motivation etc. would love him at the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like racial based threads like this. Imagine the outrage if someone else started the white players in the 2017 draft thread.

It sounds trivial but it's all a multi way street.

I don't like racial based threads like this. Imagine the outrage if someone else started the white players in the 2017 draft thread.

Aborigines are statistically over represented in the AFL player base.

#descrimination

Aborigines are statistically over represented in the AFL player base.

#descrimination
Its probably actually a little bit of a statistical quirk because being aboriginal doesn't mean you aren't white and a lot of players are mixed race. Hence, its not right to define a lot of people as purely one race which is something we tend to do.

Im normally similar to you, but I think the relationship between Aboriginal people and AFL is special. Its one where they have every posibility to succeed if given an opportunity. There are many remote areas where alot of these talented kids live that and bringing a highlight to the talent is good for everyone.
Without doubt it is the best untapped pool of talent available to our clubs.
The more development put into these kids the better for everyone.
Also Aboriginal kids tend to have a different skillset than Anglo's. They tend to be your Betts, Riolis, Charlie Cameron types, and so I look at them as a particular type of player and a thread like this just gives more info on a type of player that all clubs need some of in a balanced team.

Every year I put this thread up, and every year somebody tries to make it racial.
For my part I am only interested to see what indigenous kids are available, hoping the Saints pick one up, as we have with our first pick the last two years. I am sure other followers of Big Footy enjoy it too.

its interesting as lot of this guys/boys are a bit out of sight particularly form Melbourne.

One of my neighbour's adoptive nephew is Irving Mosquito. Apparently Hawks are gonna pick him up through rookie or cat b rookie this year.
He's part of the Hawks next generation academy and is draft eligible next year.

Some one will bid on him and the Hawks will match the bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back