Individual moments of good and bad from forgotten players

Remove this Banner Ad

Spud Murphy kicking goals in 06 and a big part of us finishing top 4
Robbie Haddrill(spelling?) was a solid defender in 06 before he got injured
Robbie Haddrill was a very good footballer. mental he only played 58 games. he was very cool, reliable, a classic sort of rebounding backman.

Freo's had a very consistent vibe to its backmen; natural, classic, cool footballers who were often overlooked by their own supporters. a lot of them could have been ultra celebrated if they were in a successful Victorian side. Antoni Grover, Troy Cook, Paul Duffield, Roger Hayden. all had nice skills, worked hard. some of my favourites were the sort of guys.

I also thought Ryan Murphy was good. not many others do. he'd come in for a game, kick a couple with some good marks, then get dropped when Pavlich or someone came back, go to Souths and kick a bag, come back in, get dropped again. I don't think he ever got more than about five games in a row.

Spud Murphy kicking goals in 06 and a big part of us finishing top 4
Robbie Haddrill(spelling?) was a solid defender in 06 before he got injured

I remember him absolutely towelling up Fev at Princes Park sometime in the mid-2000's, might've been the last time we ever played there. Fev gave him big kudos afterwards

Tommy Sheridan slip against the Hawks in 15 when Cyril pounced. In hindsight that was the end of an era
Seeing Luke McPharlin dejected and broke down in tears had me gutted. Only 2 games I have broken down in tears after a dockers game. Round 15, 2009 vs the crows at footy park when we kicked 1.7.13 and that 2015 preliminary final loss. Both hurt

Seeing Luke McPharlin dejected and broke down in tears had me gutted. Only 2 games I have broken down in tears after a dockers game. Round 15, 2009 vs the crows at footy park when we kicked 1.7.13 and that 2015 preliminary final loss. Both hurt
Only game I've broken down in near tears was Pav's last game, glad I was able to be there, was great sending him off with a win, but just sad to see the greatest player in purple finishing it all.

For bad I vote Zac Clarke and that game against Sydney when we came back from 4 goals down in the last quarter to level the scores. Then with a few seconds left MJ had a shot from 50 that got to the goalline and Clarke just stood there and watched Sam Reid I think it was mark it. Didn't shephard, didn't try to mark it himself, didn't try and punch it through or even spoil it. Just ******* stood there!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Wira running arms outstretched celebrating a goal in the drought breaking 99 Derby win. Stuck in my mind as a kid and memorable all these years later.

Always had a big liking of Schammer too. Early in his career he bobbed up at key times and that combined with his bravery was an awesome combo. Unfortunately a lack of pace and AFL-standard skills meant the end came early for him.

Not a forgotten player, but remmber the night Shane Parker tagged Nathan Buckley and Fremantle beat Collingwood in Melbourne. Whacky Damian Drum.

Oh, on Drums...Marcus Drum kicking 4 goals against the Crows at half forward in a Freo win in Adelaide after Harvey took over the coaching role from Connolly.

Robbie Haddrill was a very good footballer. mental he only played 58 games. he was very cool, reliable, a classic sort of rebounding backman.

Freo's had a very consistent vibe to its backmen; natural, classic, cool footballers who were often overlooked by their own supporters. a lot of them could have been ultra celebrated if they were in a successful Victorian side. Antoni Grover, Troy Cook, Paul Duffield, Roger Hayden. all had nice skills, worked hard. some of my favourites were the sort of guys.

I also thought Ryan Murphy was good. not many others do. he'd come in for a game, kick a couple with some good marks, then get dropped when Pavlich or someone came back, go to Souths and kick a bag, come back in, get dropped again. I don't think he ever got more than about five games in a row.
Troy Cook, a defender with nice skills?
I reckon you are thinking of someone else.
Cook was a midfield battering ram with a less than perfect kick, but boy could he tackle & he also was good at looking for options centrally when others were going boundary side

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just saw this vid on YouTube. Steven Koops took so many hangers.

Geez, didn't remember how good McPharlin was in the air.
Also, does anyone else just love that it's illegal in the sport to push someone in the back with your hands while trying to take a mark, but just fine to put a boot into their back, or knee them in the back of the head? One of Aussie Rules' great idiosyncrasies IMO.

For bad I vote Zac Clarke and that game against Sydney when we came back from 4 goals down in the last quarter to level the scores. Then with a few seconds left MJ had a shot from 50 that got to the goalline and Clarke just stood there and watched Sam Reid I think it was mark it. Didn't shephard, didn't try to mark it himself, didn't try and punch it through or even spoil it. Just ******* stood there!!!!!
he just did not get the nuances of football. absolute ball watcher.

Troy Cook, a defender with nice skills?
I reckon you are thinking of someone else.
Cook was a midfield battering ram with a less than perfect kick, but boy could he tackle & he also was good at looking for options centrally when others were going boundary side

didnt he play a lot of footy off half back?

I reckon it was 1999...Clement running a Geelong player who was streaming into goal. He had to be like 30 meters behind and ran him down.

Anyone else remember this...or this is another mandella effect.
I reckon that was James Walker on the very quick Wojcinski

Remove this Banner Ad

Back