Individual moments of good and bad from forgotten players

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm thinking it was Clement running down scott Bamford last game 1999. I just remember it was an epic rundown.

Youre right, there was a Clement one. I remember that one clearly as we had a perfect angle to see it unfold. Great stuff.

I remember a Walker one too that yyou might be taking about. To me not as exciting or as crucial as the Clement one. That turned that game.

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Scotty Thornton running through the guts at the G and bouncing his way towards a forward 50 entry and then leaving the ball behind was funny but not so good.

Better one was Spider Burton selling the dummy at half forward and dobbing a goal was great.

Also Shauny Mac getting laid out by Wirrpunda and then kicking the goal was a highlight in a horrible game.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I remember a mate of mine at a game one day saying that Dan Parker was a lucky man.I asked why.He said he doesn't have to pay to get in.Gets the best seat in the house and doesn't have to run or get the ball.
Harsh but true.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Anyone else remember Andrew Seigert running down David Wojinski from behind at Subiaco?

No, but I can remember Wojcinski trying to get away from Suban, and Suban grabbing him by the jumper - the jumper ripping and revealing Wojcinski had both of his nipples protected by little band-aids. Kinky.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Anybody remember Jon Griffin's start to 2013 when Sandi was injured? He was dominating everything, then comes the game with Collingwood and he goes down injured. Imagine if he'd stayed injury free and played behind Sandi when he had gotten back.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
No, but I can remember Wojcinski trying to get away from Suban, and Suban grabbing him by the jumper - the jumper ripping and revealing Wojcinski had both of his nipples protected by little band-aids. Kinky.
Hahahahaha I remember that! Lost it, then dined out on that story for years in footy friend circles for years after! 😝

Also - that kick from outside 50 by Ben Cunningham to win a game, in 2002 maybe. It must have been so spectacular that he was interviewed on the news the next night.

Hahahahaha I remember that! Lost it, then dined out on that story for years in footy friend circles for years after! 😝

Also - that kick from outside 50 by Ben Cunningham to win a game, in 2002 maybe. It must have been so spectacular that he was interviewed on the news the next night.

Chris Connollys first win as coach.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So sad. A highlight was when he kicked a checkside goal in a Western Derby win early in 09. Another forgotten player around that time was Justin Bollenhagen. I remember him kicking such a classy goal at a practice match at Fremantle Oval - thinking gee this guy's going to be a player. Not to be.

I thought I’d be the only person who would remember Tim Ruffles. Round 17 2009 Derby - to this day I believe that both sides were trying to tank. Obviously only Senior players were invited to the meeting as after a shockingly poor game by both teams Tim Ruffles snapped 2 goals out of his a$$!

Refecting back those 2 goals cost us potentially getting both Dustin Martin & Fyfe in the one draft and numerous Premierships! 😩

Maybe we would have still gone Morabito and who knows what could have been if his knees didn’t fail.

ChisholmDale

Debutant
Nov 12, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of the less-good moments. I always think about that time Jack Anthony tried to play on and then just kind of fell over himself and then Carlton ran it down the other end and kicked the goal. Found a video here

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone got any moments from Brodie Holland time with us? He never gets a mention around here, always thought he was handy..but for the life of me I cant think of anything memorable!

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
One of the less-good moments. I always think about that time Jack Anthony tried to play on and then just kind of fell over himself and then Carlton ran it down the other end and kicked the goal. Found a video here

* this is one of my all time favourite clips to watch

Ross going ******* mental in the box

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brock was okay but will never forget his efforts against Wonamieri (not sure of the correct spelling) in that infamous match against the Dees in 2008. Brock couldn't keep up and made him look like a superstar. Dees came back from 50 points down to win. Good times.
Mods he mentioned it.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Josh Mellington kicking 3 in Lyon's first game as coach, always like Mello, apparently his attitude was poor though.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
For bad I vote Zac Clarke and that game against Sydney when we came back from 4 goals down in the last quarter to level the scores. Then with a few seconds left MJ had a shot from 50 that got to the goalline and Clarke just stood there and watched Sam Reid I think it was mark it. Didn't shephard, didn't try to mark it himself, didn't try and punch it through or even spoil it. Just ******* stood there!!!!!
Never understood how a ruckman don’t even contend for a kick outside 50. Yet Reid has such a clear easy uncontested grab. God smacked too. If Sandi was there, he’d punch that out.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
Anyone got any moments from Brodie Holland time with us? He never gets a mention around here, always thought he was handy..but for the life of me I cant think of anything memorable!

Only clip I could find is Holland kicking 8 against the Eagles but that was playing for the Pies.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I thought I’d be the only person who would remember Tim Ruffles. Round 17 2009 Derby - to this day I believe that both sides were trying to tank. Obviously only Senior players were invited to the meeting as after a shockingly poor game by both teams Tim Ruffles snapped 2 goals out of his a$$!

Refecting back those 2 goals cost us potentially getting both Dustin Martin & Fyfe in the one draft and numerous Premierships! 😩

Maybe we would have still gone Morabito and who knows what could have been if his knees didn’t fail.
We were always going for Morabito. Regardless if we moved higher. Be stupid not to at the time. WA lad.
Morabito was insane in his first year, and had a far better year. That’s hindsight unfortunately. Him and Fyfe together would’ve won a flag. Martin would’ve been a go back home pick. He’s a family guy, close to his father. So him being in WA wouldn’t have worked

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
We were always going for Morabito. Regardless if we moved higher. Be stupid not to at the time. WA lad.
Morabito was insane in his first year, and had a far better year. That’s hindsight unfortunately. Him and Fyfe together would’ve won a flag. Martin would’ve been a go back home pick. He’s a family guy, close to his father. So him being in WA wouldn’t have worked

My memory states that Martin Snr resides in the “Land of the Long White Cloud”.

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon it was 1999...Clement running a Geelong player who was streaming into goal. He had to be like 30 meters behind and ran him down.

Anyone else remember this...or this is another mandella effect.

Spot on mate. It was definitely Clement and 1999. Can't remember the Geelong player but he was quick and Clement mowed him down. It was brilliant. Pretty sure it was Drummy's first win as coach. We lost the first six in a row and think the Cats were near the top of the ladder at the time.

LOVED Clement as a kid. Remember him kicking back to back bags of 5 goals in 1998 against the Eagles and the Bombers. Kevin Sheedy said he had the ability to kick 100 in a season - hahah. I kept the newspaper clipping for years.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I remember looking into the sun at the city end of Subi watching Modra take Mark of the Year against Geelong. First game of the year near the start of the game and I remember thinking, "How good is this?" Back in the day when we'd get just over or just under 20,000 fans to a game.

1602033125180.png

Back