Analysis Individual Player Analysis Pre 2018 Season - Isaac Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Described by that pig of a man Demetriou as "I.Omith" on brownlow night a few years back, the endurance king enters 2018 as a 29 year old.

Yes 29. I fail to believe he is 29 but I guess its easy to forget we picked him up as a mature player from obscurity with pick 16. What an astute pick up.

The funny thing about this is a few year's later Carlton had clearly seen our success with a mature ager at pick 16 and tried to do the same thing by selecting Blaine Boekhurst :D. What a pisser.

Anyway back to Smithy, how bloody durable is this bloke (touches wood).
Since debuting in 2011 where he played 16 games he has gone on to play 22, 24, 24,25,24 and 22 games respectively.

Averaged 22 touches a match last year and I would say was a little down on his previous years but I am sure it didn't help him with the train wreck of an injury list we sustained.

He booted 14 goals for the year which was actually 5 better then 2016 which I found interesting.
If only he had have kicked 15 for the year :(.

Who could forget that last kick of the game miss that would have sunk the pussy cat dolls. You just could not write that s**t if you tried given what happened in the QF final of 2016.

One other thing that might explain his lower then average year was the loss of one B.Hill. Those 2 together were unbelievable 2012-2016 and his loss cannot be under-estimated.

I fully expect Smithy to have a big year and increase his output from 2017. Is still the fittest man at the club and I see no reason why he cannot carry some good form for the next few years given his fitness level.

He is actually one of the most important players we have I reckon as we do not have like for like replacement for him should he get injured do we?

Underrated for his physicality. How often do we see our outside players copping criticism for a lack of physical pressure. And yet despite his slender build this has never been a concern with him. Always tackles and puts his body and head in over the ball when it’s his turn.

Obvious why he’s a VC. And quite potentially our next captain.

There was a time when Chance Bateman wasn't our best player, but he was our most important, run and endurance combined are a hell of a weapon. Smith has this in spades. Agree he is our most important. When he fires we fire.

I think Brad Hill went past him last year, he was brilliant for freo when I watched them. Mitch Duncan also

Hill had a lot more outside support than Smith did, hopefully 2018 means some more run on the opposite side of the oval. I'd also like to see Smithy getting forward and hitting the scoreboard more often like he used to.

Fair to say Smith's career is now at a crossroads?

I'd trade him if he has takers. Not an overreaction to tonight but if we are going to get something for him now is the time. 31 at the end of the year and we could use the extra draft pick to help with points for F/S and/or make another deal happen.

Fair to say Smith's career is now at a crossroads?
Not quite imo, he gathered 30+ touches tonight but didn't use it particularly well. Running numbers are still good, effort is there, nothing stopping him being one of the competition's elite wingmen if he can find his composure again. Still young enough to have an influence for the next 2-3 years.

Would want to be playing better by the end of the season, but same could be said for many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back