Analysis Individual Player Analysis Pre 2018 Season - Kurt Heatherley

Remove this Banner Ad

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The big Kiwi has been around for a number of year's now, slowly improving his game at Box Hill mostly.

Debuted in 2016 with his only game for the year and added another 4 to his total last year with a run of 3 games in a row in the middle of the year when our backline had been decimated by injury.

Played what I thought was an exceptional game against GWS in tassie where he took on the likes of Patton and Lobb and more then held his own and took a couple of fantastic contested mark's against Patton.

His form at BH late in the year was also very good and he looks very comfortable at that level now.

The big question is, can Kurt continue to improve and be fighting very hard for a spot in the best 22 on a regular basis or is he going to be only required if injuries again cruel our backline?

From what we have seen thus far he looks to be a very adequate player at AFL level with the ability to defend but he probably need's to get a bit more of the pill and be involved a bit more when coming out of defence rather then just a shut down defender.

I personally think Kurt will find it very difficult to break into the team this year given the amount of defensive options we now have. The recruitment of David Mirra probably has not helped his chance's either.

Here's hoping he continue's to improve at BH and can become a regular in the coming year's when he is a more complete player.

The big Kiwi has been around for a number of year's now, slowly improving his game at Box Hill mostly.

Debuted in 2016 with his only game for the year and added another 4 to his total last year with a run of 3 games in a row in the middle of the year when our backline had been decimated by injury.

Played what I thought was an exceptional game against GWS in tassie where he took on the likes of Patton and Lobb and more then held his own and took a couple of fantastic contested mark's against Patton.

His form at BH late in the year was also very good and he looks very comfortable at that level now.

The big question is, can Kurt continue to improve and be fighting very hard for a spot in the best 22 on a regular basis or is he going to be only required if injuries again cruel our backline?

From what we have seen thus far he looks to be a very adequate player at AFL level with the ability to defend but he probably need's to get a bit more of the pill and be involved a bit more when coming out of defence rather then just a shut down defender.

I personally think Kurt will find it very difficult to break into the team this year given the amount of defensive options we now have. The recruitment of David Mirra probably has not helped his chance's either.

Here's hoping he continue's to improve at BH and can become a regular in the coming year's when he is a more complete player.
Balanced and succinct

:thumbsu:

I expect Kurt to be a regular at Box Hill this year based on how I think we will line up and where I think he is in the pecking order

I'd actually expect Mirra to get games before big Kiwi but will be interesting to see what happens

I expect Kurt to be a regular at Box Hill this year based on how I think we will line up and where I think he is in the pecking order

I'd actually expect Mirra to get games before big Kiwi but will be interesting to see what happens

Surely if Brand or Frawley get injured that Heatherley should be next in line? He did do well last year in the limited games he played. He kept Jeremy Cameron goalless and hardly conceded any goals. I like what he brings to the team. I think he could be a handy center half back at AFL level.

It feels harsh writing this, but I thought the kid would be farther along.
When he arrived, Sheehan considered him elite talent that was gobbling up the transformation to our game.
His endeavor is brilliant. Courageous, team oriented, athletic.
But the improvement has been incremental, and it's surprised the s**t out of me.
If he doesn't make it this year I doubt we'll go back to NZ for talent.

When he arrived, Sheehan considered him elite talent that was gobbling up the transformation to our game.
But the improvement has been incremental, and it's surprised the s**t out of me.

Yeah I remember in the year we pucked (intended spelling given the subject matter) him up Sheehan was asked where he would have gone if in the open draft and he said top 20.

I think Sheehan is quiet glowing of a lot of prospects who are well down the pecking order each year, which is understandable in a way given he is part of the TAC stars show.

Depth player.

Love his spirit and his attitude but too many ahead of him this year. Our backline is stacked. Can't see him getting too many opportunities.
North Melbourne for a late 1st Rounder....;)

A lot of glass half empty here. I am glass half full.

Ultra consistent and reliable defender at box hill. Influential in many games at vfl level last year. Serviceable in his afl games far from looking out of place and some fantastic individual spoils at the top level. Like all young players has things to work on. Most importantly gives his all. I think he has improved much more than others give him credit for.

You lost me when using Sheehan as your guide for expectation.

He surprised me in every game he played last year, with his competitiveness and huge desire not to lose one on one. He was above where I thought he was, and was unlucky to get dropped when he did, and then Glass has a great debut so Kurt couldnt get back in.

Given his non AFL background was also surprised he was on the edge to be delisted or moved on, as his progression to be serviceable at AFL level already is very solid development. Obviously coaching staff want strong rebounders, but at worst we have a very solid depth player to call upon if required.

I think players with endeavour and fewer skills are better in a team game than players with the skill set who lack endeavour. Heatherly has endeavour in spades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our backline seems stacked with talent, and he's behind all of that. Then we bring in Mirra.

Super consistent and a warrior, but just limited ability. Has done extremely well to come over, learn the game, get 4 senior games.

But I suspect he is on his last year on the list

Our list really only has a couple of tall defenders in Brand and Frawley with reasonable AFL experience. After them we have O'Brien and Schoenmakers who have played time there with varying degrees of success but are generally considered better forwards. Most of the other defenders on our list are really medium defenders some of whom can play tall but are not KPP size. Nash is a potential KPD but is still learning the game.
Heatherly at least has the size and aggression to play KPD if required. I fully comprehend why he is still on the list.
Perhaps I am still nostalgic for the Lake Frawley Gibson triumvirate.

He surprised me in every game he played last year, with his competitiveness and huge desire not to lose one on one. He was above where I thought he was, and was unlucky to get dropped when he did, and then Glass has a great debut so Kurt couldnt get back in.

Given his non AFL background was also surprised he was on the edge to be delisted or moved on, as his progression to be serviceable at AFL level already is very solid development. Obviously coaching staff want strong rebounders, but at worst we have a very solid depth player to call upon if required.

Close thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back